What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DAR Question

WillG

I'm being told the AC will need a condition inspection before
the DAR inspection.
Can't this be done by the builder and noted in the log books

mg

Yes, I know about the correct Verbiage to use in the Log books.
I'm being told an A&P at least has to do the condition inspection
(after the build and before the DAR) ?
mg

mg

Sorry Will (?),

The "And more words" part of my previous post is word padding to meet the forum's software rules. The software is set up to reject one word posts like "Yes".

mg

FAA Order 8130.2j (OUR BIBLE) specifically states that this inspection is done by the builder and a certified mechanic (A&P) is NOT required!

Last edited:
Some people question why this is possible, when they have to get a repairmans certificate to sign for a condition inspection after they are issued an airworthiness certificate?

Until the airworthiness certificate has been issued, there is nothing regulating what level of certification is required (Repairman, A&P), to complete and then sign for a condition inspection. That is done through one of the operating limitations that are issued as part of the airworthiness certificate.

But to be eligible for the certificate, someone has to certify that the airplane is in a condition for safe operation and as already mentioned, the FAA spells out in 8130.2 that the builder of the aircraft can do it this one time, without having a repairmans certificate.

Thanks Scott, I suspected there was some sort of logic in there somewhere. So can you answer this? Why is it, in multi-partner builds, only one may apply for the repairman certificate?

Thanks Scott, I suspected there was some sort of logic in there somewhere. So can you answer this? Why is it, in multi-partner builds, only one may apply for the repairman certificate?

The only answer I have for that one is that is all that the FAA will allow. I don't know what the specific reasoning is for it.

Some people question why this is possible, when they have to get a repairmans certificate to sign for a condition inspection after they are issued an airworthiness certificate?

Until the airworthiness certificate has been issued, there is nothing regulating what level of certification is required (Repairman, A&P), to complete and then sign for a condition inspection. That is done through one of the operating limitations that are issued as part of the airworthiness certificate.

But to be eligible for the certificate, someone has to certify that the airplane is in a condition for safe operation and as already mentioned, the FAA spells out in 8130.2 that the builder of the aircraft can do it this one time, without having a repairmans certificate.

Seems very logical, more so than most of the FAA regulations.
Also, Not sure you could ever find an A&P willing to sign off a newly built, never flown, assembled parts that are not yet an aircraft since it has no airworthiness certificate.

Two people could not each have built 51%

Last edited:
Two people could not each have built 51%

While I don't know why only one person on a multi-person build can apply for the repairman's certificate, I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with 51%. The 51% part only applies to E-AB certification and has zero bearing on the repairman's' certificate as nowhere in the application process are you asked how much you contributed to a given build.

While I don't know why only one person on a multi-person build can apply for the repairman's certificate, I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with 51%. The 51% part only applies to E-AB certification and has zero bearing on the repairman's' certificate as nowhere in the application process are you asked how much you contributed to a given build.

This is correct. Requirements for repairman certificate application is that you must be listed as a primary builder of the aircraft and be able to show that you can proficiently perform the Condition Inspection.

I called a DAR that has his own set of rules. Then I called one that actually knows what the FAA requires.

Back