What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IK27 vs BR8ES

prkaye

Well Known Member
I recently had my O-320 IRAN'd. It has a Lightspeed EI on the top plugs. I asked Aero Sport what the current recommendation is for plugs, and they said IK27. I have been using BR8ES for the alst few years. What is the difference, in practice, between using IK27 or BR8ES? Is there any reason to prefer one over the other?

I recently had my O-320 IRAN'd. It has a Lightspeed EI on the top plugs. I asked Aero Sport what the current recommendation is for plugs, and they said IK27. I have been using BR8ES for the alst few years. What is the difference, in practice, between using IK27 or BR8ES? Is there any reason to prefer one over the other?

Here's a heat range chart:

HEAT_RANGE_CROSS_REFERENCE_1.jpg

I’ve tried them all. The IK27 seems to have a little better performance and longevity and I think they are what Klaus now recommends.

Vic

If you want the "traditional" automotive plug size with 13/16" hex, use the Denso IW27.

If you'd rather have the smaller diameter ones with 5/8" hex, then use the IK27. Klaus originally supplied "W" 13/16" hex plugs.

Incidentally, the BR8ES which the OP mentioned has a 13/16" hex.

The specifications from Sparkplugs.com include difference that IK27 is Iridium fine wire protruded center electrode, and BR8ES is Nickel standard wire non-protruded center electrode. The BR8ES appears to be one heat range hotter plug from previous poster chart. The hex size does not likely factor into performance difference.

The Iridium fine wire projected center electrode of the IK27 may offer some spark performance advantage over the BR8ES.

..........The hex size does not likely factor into performance difference. .......

Hex size does not affect performance and the IW and IK have the same electrode configuration.

The difference with the smaller hex is, the porcelain insulator is smaller dia as well, which means the fit of the rubber plug wire boot is looser. The boots that Klaus supplies are meant for the larger size insulators.

I've tried them all - and came back to the BR8ES - they seem to work best for my 8.5:1 IO360 with FM200 and Pmags.

BKR9EIX

I had trouble sourcing Denso IK27 here, but an auto store told me that NGK BKR9EIX is a suitable "cross". I'm htinking i'll try these. My question - is there any risk to doing engine damage by using the wrong auto spark plug with the Plasma II electronic ignition system in an O-320?

I had trouble sourcing Denso IK27 here, but an auto store told me that NGK BKR9EIX is a suitable "cross". I'm htinking i'll try these. My question - is there any risk to doing engine damage by using the wrong auto spark plug with the Plasma II electronic ignition system in an O-320?

Yes, if your plug is too hot. You will struggle to cause damage with a NGK plug with a 9 heat range. Many use a 8 which is hotter. Obviously you need to make sure that the plug is the right length - there are some crazy long plugs out there.

Back