What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sportsman

scard

Well Known Member
Advertiser
I'm just back from competing in the 2023 Lone Star Aerobatic Championships where there wasn't a single RV in the field. I find this a bit baffling. With as many of us that fly serious formation and other such things, I would expect to see RVs at the competitions. IAC Sportsman category is completely accessible to an RV. No inverted fuel or oil required, if you don't mind a little belly cleanup. Yes, competition aerobatics are completely different than much of the "gentlemans" stuff that we know, but very rewarding to level up the skills. The contests are very well setup to be super welcoming to new pilots that have never flown one before. You dip your toe into Primary and off you go.

When my RV8 is done, it will represent. I'm here to encourage you to clean out the RV cockpit of any wayward material and slowly get some coaching and instruction and join the IAC. It isn't about the airplane at all. For reference, in a Super Decathlon, I scored higher than an Extra 300LX and a beautiful Gamebird GB1.

This year I will attend an acrobratic flight competition for the first time (CEVA Spanish Championship, Sportsman level). I would love to see some Van's participating!

I am training with a CAP10-C that is used to compete up to level 3 (intermediate). The RV8, as I have been told, is at the same level.

One of the ideas that prompted me to build my RV8 is to be able to do stunt training with it. The pity is that when I have my RV8 ready to fly (I estimate 2 or 3 years) I will probably need a more powerful airplane for competition :D

https://youtu.be/Q2OMpRfqgDY

Back