What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tent for Oshkosh storms

OSH and tents....

Thanks guys. Might have to pop for the Cabela’s if I decide to go.:eek:

IF you decide to go?? You live in Michigan!! That's a Day Trip! I'll be coming from Colorado...!;)

Good choice on the tent...you won't regret that purchase....:)

Photo: right after the 60 MPH Winds came through. :eek::eek: All tents still up. Dry as a bone..!! I'd love to send the video of the Rain Storm but can't download that.....:p

Attachments

• IMG_2827.jpg
    IMG_2827.jpg
    672.3 KB · Views: 168
My Coleman “instant tent” is supposed to withstand a 50 mph breeze. Saturday night at OSH ‘22, it didn’t quite hold up. The corner poles basically slid down and it became a very short instant tent (we were at a steak restaurant staying dry). Good news was, it only took us about 60 seconds to set it back up. And I can stand up inside of it. The rain fly is extra ($30), and Coleman says you don’t need it. Get the rainfly.

https://www.coleman.com/tents-canopies/tents-by-style/6-person-instant-cabin/SAP_2157803.html

Whatever you do don't do what we did-- 2 years ago we opted to drop tent camping and try renting a travel trailer and have it delivered to the camp site -- you do this and you won't go back to tent camping if you go with your spouse--EVER. You've been warned.....

This might be what I need to do next year. Do you have links or can I PM you for more details?

Fig

Have you set up your Habitude tent yet? It is the Taj Mahal! You will have plenty of room for me and Judie. You won’t even hear me snore.

Have you set up your Habitude tent yet? It is the Taj Mahal! You will have plenty of room for me and Judie. You won’t even hear me snore.

Yes I have, it is roomy :D Now looking for the right cot to go with it. I think people have complained about your Oshkosh snoring in Appleton :eek:

Just replaced my first Eureka! with another- Midori 3P.

It is taller than some domes, has a door on each side and a vestibule on each side. Few do that. Floor for 5 inch high cots is 60x80, allows 2 73x27".

If solo, it seems awesome, for two, it will just do if you use cots and vestibules.

Not a double, but it is large enough for one tall adult. Self inflates as the foam expands, and is very comfortable. Downside is, since it’s a foam/air mattress it is a little bulky for packing. I’ve made it work for me in my RV6, so it’s OK for me going to Oshkosh. If my wife was with me, I’d need a Beech 18 for all the extra stuff, including another mattress.

https://www.amazon.com/Inflating-Sleeping-Mattress-Portable-4-Season/dp/B09NDDZPNS

The last two regular inflated mattresses I’ve bought didn’t even make it one night. I’ve left them both in the dumpster in HBC. They were both guaranteed not to leak. The warranty was worth less than the paper it was plagiarized on.

Scott

My wife, who is a pilot, would require a Beech 18 also. However we send our equipment with a friend in a travel trailer. He is a volunteer so he has access to a golf cart to bring our suff. Before that we sent it on a friends 195, before that it was FedEx. We did slim everything down to survival gear and some clothes on a trip to Alaska. She did complain a little about no cute shoes.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Not a double, but it is large enough for one tall adult. Self inflates as the foam expands, and is very comfortable. Downside is, since it’s a foam/air mattress it is a little bulky for packing. I’ve made it work for me in my RV6, so it’s OK for me going to Oshkosh. If my wife was with me, I’d need a Beech 18 for all the extra stuff, including another mattress.

https://www.amazon.com/Inflating-Sleeping-Mattress-Portable-4-Season/dp/B09NDDZPNS

The last two regular inflated mattresses I’ve bought didn’t even make it one night. I’ve left them both in the dumpster in HBC. They were both guaranteed not to leak. The warranty was worth less than the paper it was plagiarized on.

Scott
What does the mattress weight, I am planning to upgrade from an air mattress to a cot and mattress combo this year and this looks like a good option. Still reviewing the cot choices.
Figs

Cot decision next

Having resolved the Oshkosh tent decision with the purchase of the MSR Habitude 6 (until the new tent gets destroyed by another storm at Oshkosh this year) I am now moving on to the COT decision.
Background is no more rolling around on the floor to get up and get dressed etc. so a cot with enough height above ground to sit and stand. However at 6'3" and 220 lbs the cot needs to have decent length, width and weight carrying capability.
Options seem to range from Teton outfitter XXL ($144 and 26lbs) to the Helinox max convertible with leg kit ($600 and 7lbs). The Teton looks good and has good reviews but the weight and packed size is a concern whereas the Helinox is a great brand but 4X the price of the Teton.
Any recommendations will be considered.
Figs

Sales

Might be time to strike, I went online and noticed 1 day later my $239 tent is now $179 everywhere. Nicely, the store is honoring the sale price a day after my purchase- if only it was always that way...

Might be time to strike, I went online and noticed 1 day later my $239 tent is now $179 everywhere. Nicely, the store is honoring the sale price a day after my purchase- if only it was always that way...

I missed something. What store, what tent?

<Considering options since the 11 year old broke one of my tent poles setting up at Oshkosh last year...>

I blame poor supervision.

COT decision

After much searching I decided on the helinox max convertible cot with the extender legs after I found it on the Campsaver website with a 20% discount certificate, could not find the helinox discounted anywhere else on the web. Small travel package and only 7lbs.
Still considering the mattress pad Scott recommended as it would be a perfect fit for the cot.
Nearly ready for Oshkosh :D
Figs

Scott
What does the mattress weight, I am planning to upgrade from an air mattress to a cot and mattress combo this year and this looks like a good option. Still reviewing the cot choices.
Figs

The Heytrip mattress I was referring to and bought weighs 6.4 pounds.

Back