What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Has anyone created performance charts for the RV-14?

Brucelan

I am trying to improve my POH for my RV-14A.

Most certified airplanes have takeoff length charts in their POH based on things like weight, wind, density altitude, surface type etc.

I generally fly off of runways with lots of extra length, but it would be nice if I had a chart in the POH.

Similarly, I would like to find a chart with landing distances based on weight, wind etc.

Thanks,

Bruce

N662F
RV-14A
Flying since 2020

I am trying to improve my POH for my RV-14A.
Most certified airplanes have takeoff length charts in their POH based on things like weight, wind, density altitude, surface type etc.
I generally fly off of runways with lots of extra length, but it would be nice if I had a chart in the POH.
Similarly, I would like to find a chart with landing distances based on weight, wind etc.
Thanks,
Bruce
N662F
RV-14A
Flying since 2020

Every home built aircraft is different. Different empty weights, different hp, different props, etc.

That's what Phase I flight testing is all about. You must determine these data for your airplane.

Last edited:
The EAA has the flight test manual that describes the testing for you to get these numbers for your specific airplane.

You don't need a table, only a minimum number! The take-off and landing performance is so much better than just about any certified aircraft that if you look at the runway length and think it is long it probably is. The amount of effort required to get good, repeatable, data is likely to be much greater than its usefulness. Pick a minimum runway length, say 1200ft, and go with that. Practice landing in that distance, it wont take long to achieve repeatably. Take-off performance will never be a problem.

This publication has some useful factors for landing and take-off distances at the back.

I saw a POH for an old airplane, it was super brief and provided very limited data. However, it was quite useful still. If memory serves, it gave takeoff distance at ISA, gross weight, sea level for 2 different flap settings. Left the rest up to extrapolation like the previous post suggests.

Really it was good enough. Take off in 500ft under standard conditions, well we're hot and high today, so add the extrapolation "rules of thumb", and maybe we need 1000ft. Double it for a safety factor and comfort level and that's still only a 2000ft runway. Aren't many runways that short, but allows us to calculate a number to base our decisions upon.

To copy the fancy "Cessna charts" and derrive our own data, might allow us to determine the same takeoff to require 974ft instead of the 1000ft from the "rules of thumb".

It's a huge amount of work to flight test and derrive all the takeoff data for slightly more accuracy. It could be a lot of fun to do the flight testing, and if that's how one feels, let us know what you come up with.

I’d never share either an AFM, AMM, or performance charts in the land of litigation.
Just imagine someone would come to grief as a result…

Back