What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Component Load Spread Sheet

Freemasm

Well Known Member
Was going to start "formalizing" a list of electrical loads into a spread sheet. Does anyone have any data or an existing spread sheet I can start from? Would obviously save a bunch of time relative to going through all of the Install Docs. Anything I do, I'll post in this Section; maybe the Mods will see that it becomes a sticky.

Anyway, anything would be helpful and appreciated by all. Let me know what you've got. Thanks.

Much will depend upon the specific components you are interested in. Dynon, for example, will have different electrical needs than say MGL. And B&C alternators need an external regulator and PlanePower ones apparently don't, if I remember correctly. And there are a number of different contactors that are available. Perhaps you should look for the manual or spec sheet for each separate device you think you might install.

If you're thinking of a general-purpose universal listing, please remember that it'll be obsolete as soon as a new gotta-have-it comes out.

Dave

I started a short thread about this a few years ago. It's specific to my blend of G3X avionics, but might be a good starting point. If you want access to my spreadsheet, PM me, it's part of my build log.

Much will depend upon the specific components you are interested in. Dynon, for example, will have different electrical needs than say MGL. And B&C alternators need an external regulator and PlanePower ones apparently don't, if I remember correctly. And there are a number of different contactors that are available. Perhaps you should look for the manual or spec sheet for each separate device you think you might install.

If you're thinking of a general-purpose universal listing, please remember that it'll be obsolete as soon as a new gotta-have-it comes out.

Dave

Completely understood, Mr. Paule of the Republic of Boulder; but, any basis will help people get started. I'd initially populate it with anything that people send. Thought was to add a column where people could enter their desired #/components (EFIS, AP actuators, etc.). Most anyone could zero-out the components they don't have. As it hopefully grows, it would not be vendor specific. Let's see what inputs I get and how much energy I have for this.

I started a short thread about this a few years ago. It's specific to my blend of G3X avionics, but might be a good starting point. If you want access to my spreadsheet, PM me, it's part of my build log.

Will do and much appreciated. Hopefully it will more than save time. As these aircraft get more and more electrically dependent, more planning and scrutiny is needed. I'm sure there is more than one person who didn't consider the (sometimes 3+) amps required to hold the old silver can contactors in state. Plus all of the convertors and I/F electronics. Though they tend to only draw fractions of amps, they do add up.

SNIP…As these aircraft get more and more electrically dependent, more planning and scrutiny is needed. I'm sure there is more than one person who didn't consider the (sometimes 3+) amps required to hold the old silver can contactors in state. SNIP

Yep - many don’t take this into consideration.

On the last three builds I use two of these as Master Solenoids, one on each battery.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/9012/Solenoid_L-Series_-_250A_12_24V
Note the 130ma holding current spec.

If you shop around you can typically get these at a much cheaper price (try eBay).

Side note. Load analysis is great for determining wire and breaker sizing (so the install manuals are the best reference). For aircraft electrical demand these will be a lot less than above so data taken on your ship is required. For example with both batteries charged system and with everything on (other that pitot heat) my dual screen SkyView install, the power hungry GTN-650 along with the other associated IFR boxes yields a total current draw is ~15 amps or so. Here the big 60 amp alternator role in life is to top off the batteries after start. After that it is just loafing along. The 30 amp Monkworz standby generator is more than adequate to get home if the 60amp goes south.

Carl

I have an easily customizable excel spreadsheet. Send an email to sagriverATicloudDOTcom and I’ll send you (or anyone) the spreadsheet.

Back