What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reluctant Flyer Update...

339A

Well Known Member
It’s been almost 13 years since Words of Encouragement for the Reluctant Flyer was first posted. While much has remained the same, much has also changed.

Ever the pragmatic and frugal New Englander by nature (insert the word cheap here), and thanks to a post by Geoff McHarg explaining how to use Google Photos to host pictures (for free), I reinserted the images that went missing from the post long ago when Image Shack changed the way they did things. The write-up just isn’t the same without photos.

See the original post here:

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=60878

In the piloting skills department, I upgraded from VFR to IFR and from private pilot to commercial multi-engine pilot. I completed a one-year stint with Boutique Airlines and was in training with SkyWest when C19 hit the scene and shot me down, giving me the grand experience of an airline furlough.

Cobr6789JAGv8GfCcUASVHb44JkwtdRNAidMSTkaghQKtDphrgpdDvTkNxB8ACR007BdlYTLyBVsztLtAjzenCOxnV9mg7mAybSXtpefIHYj0v_6CEm6m5VOwEUBOc5PrSroZwWBeNk=w1000

N339A just crossed the 2,000-hour mark, a milestone for sure.

Some photos from a recent trip to Elko, NV from Denver, CO.

AJFCJaWrGsOq5kh4xhRytP4QfjfO0B9P-5BVNAf7OJ1kqWimkb7C9g7yaaVyazVxW7NXXLZAJjqQ5ZADyJjnzHTWt6oW54CY22UVCfVx_v8-_pcyNiVXL8TD=w1200

Still Lots of Snow in Wyoming

AJFCJaVa5q3oGE3QHN6zkPvIyM3ZaDka5sdXxBIhkHB8IiFXlvAu3Nu-aYF3u81tCi6YOixOO9TSt-Z5LNrAtm5UrphNMwcb-_WkPN1i26qhHULX9RMGCb7E=w1200

On the North Side of Great Salt Lake

AJFCJaUEbmRNiMv9n4QDdwpHKxhhAWz1_eme3QNPCcvB0iHhupf641819rUaj-K9wr7FpZH8HKvIi1rMPdKleA1ofJIEF9IvcKzCKNWFfJ-gNKx22-LmA4Tk=w1200

On the North Side of Great Salt Lake

AJFCJaWBFRbH0Uw3qEXGPJFg3gEn_aBfeD_bGacgAdTo8i8EOSoW9KVB1d9DmtpEb8pSkeHtHJICnPrxqnvYhUkIs2PU3_HzUimKcij48YSyQccdlTBfztlE=w1200

Over Southern Utah

Q-h6VNMh6ogKwqZle_F-ilodYI033MS8SxusCzcKe4rFdfJ3mjYz1jLOIbV8UkqCvRrrpxyniYzRbXgQuEraPGJRrGOXLHf6PH8ix5KRvCoCz4i7KHQ6PlQdIEqdbH77JWg50b4b98Q=w1200

Southwest Colorado

We’ve been most fortunate to be part of the Vans community. We have made many long-term friendships along the way; or, as Paul “Rosie” Rosales is fond of saying: “Expanding our circle of friends.” And we’ve traveled extensively in our garage-built airplane.

Some updated stats:

-339A has broken the 2,000-hour barrier.

-We’ve now landed at 267 airports in 48 states, Canada, and five Caribbean islands.

-The plane has traveled about 330,000 miles.

AJFCJaWQU-JeoiiAUTOrkcobg5kc2Dm3k7sbmoh-M5dc974K1KB7TwSzU8zlhWjEJLTRthn_I_CSeOLyrzIBPvlnkTHQqmFNi9Af5JdIvYznfPAQ8A65lHBR=w2400

Last edited:
Ok, you've been furloughed, that's one punch on the card of being a Real Airline Pilot (merger and divorce are the other 2), have you gotten on with anyone else? The bonuses the regional are offering right now are just eyewatering.

Steve
who has punched all 3 entries

Hi Scott,

I saw your aircraft taking off KRKS a week ago. One can't miss the famous paint scheme!

Scott,
Im just over 200 on my plane and having a blast. Thanks for the update and I hope to get to at least a 5 of the places you have been!! I just got my license last October and still learning so my longest flight are have only been about 3 hours. We plan on OSH this year and later maybe out through Denver - Glenwood Springs, then to SLC.

Using your Experimental Airplane!!

N339A just crossed the 2,000-hour mark, a milestone for sure.

-We’ve now landed at 267 airports in 48 states, Canada, and five Caribbean islands.

-The plane has traveled about 330,000 miles.

A great story and quite the accomplishment. A great comment on what these airplanes are capable of. I tried to look up how many hours the average private pilot has and could find little but the number 600 hours sticks in my mind from somewhere. Then there is the average time put on experimental aircraft since completion of construction. It is NOT 2000! I remember the magic feeling of SuzieQ poking a hole in the 1000 hour barrier! If you look around OSH there are not that many Experimental aircraft that have that prop card with "this airplane has 1000 hours". I've never seen one with 2000 hours! Keep going and thank you for being an involuntary representative of our craft!

Great photographs, by the way......

Last edited:
I continue to look, but at 63 I'm not sure it's worth it... The incentives are crazy right now though, good time to be a pilot if you're young!

Ok, you've been furloughed, that's one punch on the card of being a Real Airline Pilot (merger and divorce are the other 2), have you gotten on with anyone else? The bonuses the regional are offering right now are just eyewatering.

Steve
who has punched all 3 entries

Hey Vlad, where were you? I didn't see anyone else when I landed there. It's a nice airport and FBO. I usually stop there for gas when I'm heading west. Any OSH plans this year?

Hi Scott,

I saw your aircraft taking off KRKS a week ago. One can't miss the famous paint scheme!

Hey there Rockwood, good to hear from you. I'm planning on OSH this year as well. Going to bring the 14 year old grandson as admission is free for kids under 18! Trying to get him interested in something other than video games. We'll have to meet up.

Scott,
Im just over 200 on my plane and having a blast. Thanks for the update and I hope to get to at least a 5 of the places you have been!! I just got my license last October and still learning so my longest flight are have only been about 3 hours. We plan on OSH this year and later maybe out through Denver - Glenwood Springs, then to SLC.

Thanks for the nice reply. We're fortunate to be able to travel the country in planes we built in a garage. Deb and I continue to enjoy flying and still have lots of trips to make. One to Alaska so I can check that last State off the list. I will definitely be putting the 2,000 hour card on the prop this year! :cool:

A great story and quite the accomplishment. A great comment on what these airplanes are capable of. I tried to look up how many hours the average private pilot has and could find little but the number 600 hours sticks in my mind from somewhere. Then there is the average time put on experimental aircraft since completion of construction. It is NOT 2000! I remember the magic feeling of SuzieQ poking a hole in the 1000 hour barrier! If you look around OSH there are not that many Experimental aircraft that have that prop card with "this airplane has 1000 hours". I've never seen one with 2000 hours! Keep going and thank you for being an involuntary representative of our craft!

Great photographs, by the way......

Back