What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thunderbolt Engine order

johntuck

Just curious for those who recently ordered and received their engine what has been the time frame? I ordered mine in Sept 2022 and still no word. Van’s says be patient and Lycoming is quiet. Just trying to determine where they might be in the list. Thanks!

I ordered a -390 non-thunderbolt and am getting it soon a year later. I wasn’t in a hurry and told them that.

Ordered a YIO-390-EXP119 in 10/21.
Being delivered this week.
Told them I was not in a hurry.

I ordered mine in Sept 2022 and still no word. Van’s says be patient and Lycoming is quiet.

Basically same here... ordered a TB YO-360-A1A Jan 2022, but told them not in a hurry since the engine is a replacement for my flying steed. Thought it would help somebody maybe needing his engine more than I did at the time :)
Still, it would be nice to get it for next Winter.

Last mail from Matthew at Vans, month and a half ago: Lycoming are totally slammed so it may take a while to hear back.

My order was May ’22, confirmed by Lycoming through Vans in Nov ‘22 with an Est Feb ‘24 ship and engine number. Just to give you an idea of what my timing has been.

I ordered mine back in March 2022. I did this to beat a price increase. Lycoming had so many orders that rather than a first in first out they actually called me and asked when I wanted it. I told them put me at the back of the line. So tentatively I am scheduled for September of this year.

So, in these responses' timelines could be skewed based on if they asked for later shipments.

Ordered in June '21 on the last day before the price hike. I was in no rush then so was migrated to the end of the line.

As of 2 weeks ago I am #2 on the EXP 119 list.

Going on a year and a half 🧐

I ordered my Thunderbolt AEIO 580 over a year ago. $20,000 down payment. Lycoming promised 11 month delivery. They are very bad at updates. I cornered Jeff at Sun n Fun and he said they are ‘giving up’ with delivery timelines as unable to secure subcontractors for crankshafts, pistons and cylinders. I guestioned why they were continuing to take orders at Sun n Fun and he laughed and said ‘crazy isn’t it’. Yes, it is. 😡

Just checked with mothership and Lycoming is still trying to get out engines from end of 2021.

Back