What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

kit enhancements for older designs?

Blw2

Well Known Member
I understand the RV-14 for example has pre-punched holes that are already matched, preformed parts, and so on

while the early kits for other models the builder had to do all the drilling and probably a lot more forming and fabricating.

Does any of this enhancement get pushed backwards for any of the kits...for example are the RV-9 kits improved over what they used to be?

I keep vacillating in my daydream about which model I should plan around... RV-14 seems to be the most enhanced and is attractive for lots of reasons, but maybe just perhaps the RV-9 might fit my mission better....or the RV-12 better still for different reasons.... but for example if the -9 is that much more of a project/headache to build maybe that tips the scale for the -14???.... or if it should even be an RV or something else. (theoretically I'm not a fan of the tip up canopy design, for example....)

I understand the RV-14 for example has pre-punched holes that are already matched, preformed parts, and so on

while the early kits for other models the builder had to do all the drilling and probably a lot more forming and fabricating.

Does any of this enhancement get pushed backwards for any of the kits...for example are the RV-9 kits improved over what they used to be?

I keep vacillating in my daydream about which model I should plan around... RV-14 seems to be the most enhanced and is attractive for lots of reasons, but maybe just perhaps the RV-9 might fit my mission better....or the RV-12 better still for different reasons.... but for example if the -9 is that much more of a project/headache to build maybe that tips the scale for the -14???.... or if it should even be an RV or something else. (theoretically I'm not a fan of the tip up canopy design, for example....)

14 is far easier. I have three friends who started after me. Two are flying and the third almost done. Of course if your set on a slider, that limits the field a little.

I've been building my RV-9A for so long, that yes, the factory has come up with updated parts. The two that spring to mind are the RV-10/RV-14 style nose gear with Mooney style rubber springs (but required a new engine mount), and the forward fuselage (just aft of the firewall) access panels for avionics (and top skin riveting) access.

The RV-9A first flew in 1999 so if you're thinking of building one, now would be a good time. I don't think the factory has any more kit enhancements in the pipeline with the RV-15 (and -16) in design/flight test.

I didn't fine any issue with the prepunched holes (3/32 for -3 rivets and 1/8" for -4 rivets). And drilling/reaming them full size is not a deal breaker. You still have to dimple the AN426 rivet holes in the newer designs as well as the older designs, so the "match drilling" is just an extra step.

If I start building today, I will look closely at the cost to build between the RV14 and the RV9. The experimental world pricing isn't like it was 20 years ago, and these new RVs cost more than a nicely upgraded certificated airplanes. The RV14 uses the IO-390 which is a lot more expensive than the spec O-320 in the RV9. I don't know if you can get a used IO-390 from the salvage outfit but there are plenty of used O-320 with very attractive prices

I though doing final drill in my pre-punch RV8 was a non-event. My biggest problem was finding the time to build while working more than full-time. If I am retired and can build full-time, then my plane would not take 5 years to build.

I’m just getting back into flying after an extended absence. I understand your dilemma. And it’s a valid question regarding “old kit” upgrades. The 12 is a great kit. Flys nicely (first hand experience). Build is quick, including the pulled rivets. But I’m looking for a bit more performance and capabilities. The 14 is amazing. Builders rave about the kit. But it’s really dang expensive. For me, building a 9A is the logical, economical solution, installing a good used or rebuilt O-320. However, I’m just really struggling with getting motivated about the idea of starting a 9, after having been exposed to the 12’s and 14’s kits, with their fast build times and WAY better instructions! :confused:

I know that Van’s retro designed the new nose gear for the 7A/9A which was a good thing IMHO. But I’m doubtful that they’d invest in truly upgrading other elements of the kit and instructions to -14 levels. One can hope, but I’m not sure it’s economically viable. At this point in my life, I’m starting to explore used RV-9A.

There have been some improvements, at least on the -7 kit (the pre-drilled fuel tank Z brackets come to mind). But there are still some parts that it would seem could have been improved (F-779 tail skin), and certainly the instructions. Having said that, I know nothing of the business so my comment is pure speculation!

My -8 kit has quite a few improvements handed down from new kits. Mostly in the empennage area.

The VS skin is now final size because it shares the same skin as the -14. The Z brackets for the fuel tanks are predrilled now, and there’s a few other small things that have made life a lot easier.

Back