What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Power loss VPX/Skyview problem/possible solution

cropdusterdave

Well Known Member
Hey folks. Quick question. Went out flying the other day in my -7. Plane Power alternator and single screen Dynon Skyview with a VPX box driving the electrical. For the first time in 100 hrs…I was getting an intermittent “aircraft power lost” message with associated screen dimming and also noticed on the VPX page erratic amps from the main and my radio and boost pump were fluctuating as well. Checked all connections forward of the firewall and everything was secure. I pulled the field plug and inspected the terminals and all was well there….I gave the terminal ends a little squeeze and re installed. Under the sub pannel all connections were secure as well….however…the VPX box was apparently never tightened to the mounting and was pretty loose allowing for what I can only assume is excessive vibration. I also found the retainer screws to the plugs on the back of the skyview not secured (not impressed with the avionics shop I used). Just wondering if this A) could have caused my symptoms and B) I’m concerned about possible damage to the VPX unit. Anybody have a similar experience?

My guess is that your intermittent issue was caused by the connector on the back of the Skyview not being firmly connected.

If I were in your shoes based upon what you described, I would be re-checking every connection to make sure they are tighten appropriately.

I would take Carl’s advice. Get a free Savvy Analysis account and upload your data after every flight. I’ve been flying my rv-10 for ten years. I have data from every flight taken. You would be surprised on how valuable have a baseline and looking for trends that deviate from the baseline can assist in troubleshooting issues.

Back