What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Master relay activation circuit protection

georgemohr

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I'm using Aeroelectric Connection to plan our primary power system. One thing I noticed and don't understand... the circuit from the master relay to the master switch seems to have no protection at all. This is true of all the diagrams in Bob's book.

I'm worried about a short at the master switch causing a fire. I must be missing something. Can someone help me understand this?

Regards,
G

Master

Hi all,

I'm using Aeroelectric Connection to plan our primary power system. One thing I noticed and don't understand... the circuit from the master relay to the master switch seems to have no protection at all. This is true of all the diagrams in Bob's book.

I'm worried about a short at the master switch causing a fire. I must be missing something. Can someone help me understand this?

Regards,
G

The switch to contactor circuit should be switching ground. No protection needed.

When you think about the failure mode (shorting of the wire between the contactor and the switch), it makes sense that each type of contactor is handled differently. :D

Reverse Polarity Protection

Assuming that there is a diode across the battery contactor coil, then a fuse
between the coil and the master switch will protect against reverse battery polarity.
People have made mistakes when jump starting or when installing a new battery.

Back