What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grass under seat?

Bdflies

I fly the 14A from my grass strip. Somehow I keep finding a lot of grass under the seat pan covers, every time I remove them. For the life of me, I can't see how the grass is getting in there! Wing root fairings are clean, so it's not getting in there. Nothing inside the cabin. Area forward of spar is clean. I don't see any other obvious entry points.
Anyone solved this problem before me?

Bill

Mice and small birds love grass also. Otherwise, there is a surprising amount of negative pressure inside the cabin, drawing air in. Any grass kicked up by the prop is probably getting sucked in through any small holes and migrating to there.

Last edited:
My very first thought was the flap actuator tube, but it's really sealed pretty well and the wing root area is clean, as in really clean.
I understand the negative pressure concept and it makes a lot of sense, so it could be the issue. I guess I have to keep combing through the potential intake areas. No signs of mice, like the obvious scat trails.
I'm almost leaning to the fact that the grass was in the rear areas, which are kinda difficult to clean out, when I got the plane.
The really puzzling part (to me) is that this is the only place I'm seeing the grass! I guess that's actually a good thing!

Keep the ideas coming!

Bill

Are these actual grass or more like dirt?

What about behind baggage area, do you see any grass there? Is it possible that is coming from the back, around VS fairing and getting sucked thru the fues. There is certainly plenty of openings from the back to under the seats.

What kind of 'grass' are we talking about here Bill? Do you ever land on remote strips on the other side of the southern border in the middle of the night?

Only obvious answer

What kind of 'grass' are we talking about here Bill? Do you ever land on remote strips on the other side of the southern border in the middle of the night?

Now how is it that I never made that connection?

Bill

That's nothing. I was honoured to be invited to fly with Van in his 10 some time ago.

Hay and other general grubby stuff in the rear :D

That is one versatile aeroplane !!!!!!

He is from Louisiana. Wonder if he’s related to Barry Seal…..

Back