What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Nose Skin to Nose Rib problem

WayneJ

On page 21-06 step 3 we are instructed to match drill #40 into the nose ribs. My assembly has gap of about .03" up to .07" between the skin and the rib in these locations. I could force the skin down when pulling the MK-319-BS rivet but that causes distortion in the skin. Van's builder support suggested bending the rib tab up before drilling to compensate but that changes the tab angle an excessive amount. I could also put shims in but that would get really difficult considering the dimpling involved. Everything else fits really well. It's as if the rib is too small. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm about to order a new set of ribs hoping they are larger.

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1677.jpg

IMG_1674.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg

Just finished that section myself and had the opposite problem. Skins just barely fit and required 4 hands to get it all clecoed. Consider unscrewing the rib from the counterweight and putting the shims between the rib tabs and the counterweight. No dimpling there.
Good luck
Greg Beckner
KIWS

Thanks for the response Greg but I think you are talking about ailerons. I'm working on the flaps. I had the same struggle as you with my ailerons. The nose skin is similar on both but the flap skin fits much easier as far as wrapping it around and getting clecos in the spar. My problem is that after the skin is all clecoed in the pre punched holes, the skin sits about 1/16" away from the nose ribs where the #40 holes need to be match drilled in step 3 on page 21-06.

I ordered a replacement set of FL-1004 L&R Nose Ribs today to see if they will fit better. I know this is a long shot and I don't really expect it to work but I'm hoping.

Bend the tab outward, as Vans suggested, but then bend a shorter section of the tab back to 90 degrees. Effectively you’ll be lengthening the web and shortening the flange/tab of the rib. This will bring the tab tight to the skin. Practice on some scrap first. You can also try it on your ribs as you have replacements on order.

Back