What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot Static Kit Options

acpilot

Well Known Member
Patron
I am just working on my tail cone and getting to the point of installing the static ports and plumbing. I am thinking of installing one of the pitot/static/AOA kits available and using the static ports that will come with it. I like the looks of them rather than the supplied Vans rivet style. Anyhow, I am trying to narrow it down between, the Dynon, Avery or Stein kits. I was wondering what others have used on their RV14s and any pros or cons with the various choices.

Thanks

I used the Dynon Pitot/AOA and associated kits on three builds. Works for me.

If you are planning an EFIS install other than SkyView I suggest you look at what your system of choice recommends.

Carl

I recently did the Dynon and am SUPER happy! Very clean look, quality tubing and connectors. Have nothing to say about the other kits. Planning Garmin panel.

Vans and Dynon

I bought the Vans static kit initially and then also the Dynon pitot/static/AOA kit.
The Dynon static port requires a bigger hole in the skin and needs to be riveted in.
I actually used the Vans rivet for the static port, because the dome shape gives a good result, apparently. I didn't like the way the instructions say to attach the tube on the inside with RTV because it doesn't seem secure. Therefore I attached it into a 3/16 wide flange rivet on the inside and this provides a more secure point to attach the tubing.
The Dynon kit is very comprehensive and I think it would work with any instruments that have 1/4" female threads. A friend of mine has the Avery kit and it looked (briefly) very similar to the Dynon kit.
Note I am building a 6A and not a 14 but the requiremente are identical. The system doesn't need to be fancy, it just needs to be airtight.

Attachments

• 20220301_090628.jpg
    20220301_090628.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 20221215_080328.jpg
    20221215_080328.jpg
    616 KB · Views: 85
  • 20221215_080307.jpg
    20221215_080307.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I am leaning toward the kit from Stein Air. Everything in the kits look similar, however, I like the look of the static ports from Stein. Their installation looks simple and tidy. Just wondering if anyone has had issues with this kit.

Back