What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carb shop, carb config details

rjcthree

Well Known Member
I’m considering going back to a carb from my Ellison. I have the MA 10-5135 that came with my engine core. 10-5135 was superseded by 10-5217, which is pretty common out in the world.

- Does anyone have info or can point me to info related to configuration by pn?
- My 10-5135 is marked MF and V, along with A1 and 9. MF is the float AD and the V is the Venturi AD I believe, but can anyone explain the A1 and the 9?
- who is the favored OH shop on this?
- is the OH a big deal? I’ve got the skills.
- I’ll be searching the archives on jetting, I know my motor likes fuel at WOT, based on previous work to get the Ellison to run rich enough.

Thanks.

Attachments

• B9FD7BC8-63C7-429B-BEA9-F6F3E568F55D.jpeg
    B9FD7BC8-63C7-429B-BEA9-F6F3E568F55D.jpeg
    356.7 KB · Views: 149
Research

From what I’ve been able to get out of VAF and a couple other places…

10-5135 was superseded by 10-5217. They use the exact same service kits. They have 0.093” jets. I’m not sure what nozzle they have, but I suspect I can figure it out.

The 10-5009 is also on the MS application chart for the O-320-H2AD. Online research suggests it has a 0.1065” jet. It can is also available as a -5009N, which has a different nozzle. That is available direct from MS or as a field mod kit.

There is also the 10-3678-32 which is used on -320s, it has a 0.1065” jet. It can be modded to a new nozzle 47-862, which makes it a 10-3678-32M, or available from the factory as a 5-6200. Seems like the Carbon Cubs are doing this to feed the CC-340 engine.

Drilling jets is talked about a lot. Any advice on what you have or did and how it works would be helpful.

I reached out to MS and have not heard back. I’d love to collect this wisdom so I can ask them smart questions. Thanks.

What’s in a name?

Rick, your carb may have a new tab on it from Facet but the first serial number at the top is the one you want. MA4SPA. It’s a Marvel Schebler carb and the best overhaul shop on Earth IMHO is Aircraft Carb and Injector Service in Dish TX. They are old school but as an A&P I can attest to their quality of workmanship. My RV6X carb was better than new when I got it back.

No website but they actually answer their phone. :)
Give them a call: 940-648-2277
V/R
Smokey

Smokey has a good shop

I did what Smokey suggested. Bobby knew exactly what I was looking for and turned it in a week. Old school shop. Linda answers the phone, no real website. The carb came back looking like new, maybe better. Thanks!

Last edited:
One thing to be aware of is to make them rebuild YOUR carb, or if they take yours as a trade, they need to measure your carb's jet before tossing it in a pile of cores. The MA4SPA comes in a variety of model numbers, and one of the differences between the models is the jet size.

This caused me problems when I purchased a rebuilt carb for my -6. We matched up the numbers on the data plates, but my original carb had been modified (unbeknownst to me), and the replacement had a smaller jet.

Back