What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slightly OT: Electric Scooter as baggage?

the_other_dougreeves

Well Known Member
When traveling, you occasionally have to walk a ways after you taxi and park the airplane. I'm occasionally lazy and have thought about bringing a folding electric scooter along to make the walk easier, particularly when it's over a mile.

However, most of the lightweight ones (about 25lb) have listed weight limits of 120lb. I'm not sure if this is to try and sell kid-specific models of they're really designed for lightweights.

Can anyone offer any experiences with taking along scooters?

TODR, who is occasionally lazy

So these electric scooters have come a long way in the past couple of years, and a top of the line scooter with 15 mile range, 15mph top speed and 28lb can be had for around US$550 (Segway Ninebot ES2). The only issue is that based on the measurements, this one is going to be a super close fit diagonally in my luggage compartment, so I was wondering if anyone had successfully fitted this model in a RV-6/7/9?
Cheers,
Tom.
http://www.segway.com/products/consumer-lifestyle/es2-kickscooter

gasoline powered?

less chance for a battery fire and you get Mad Dog brakes

then trick it out.... https://youtu.be/yWVAE3BGWlY

GSR Cruiser Specifications
• Speed: 24 mph
• Range: 35-40 miles (at about 100 mpg).
• Motor: 29cc 2.5 HP GPL290 two-stroke air-cooled gas powered engine with a non-adjustable, maintenance free carburetor.
• Frame: 4130 Chromoly GSR chassis and cantilevered 4130 forks, 6061 T6 aircraft grade aluminum handlebars with slightly wider than the standard crossbar for better handling, with a “Flexdynamic” deck designed to absorb shock. 3 inches of ground clearance.
• Start Method: Pull Start.
• Drive System: Chain drive with a centrifugal clutch. Freewheel capable.
• Oil Type: 2 cycle oil
• Fuel Type: Unleaded Gasoline (high octane recommended)
• Gas Mix: Unleaded gas and 2 cycle oil @ 40:1
• Fuel Tank Capacity: 1.5 liter
• Brakes: Front Mad Dog brake caliper brake and double ground and hardened stainless steel Wave disc rotor.
• Dimensions: Length 44"
Width at handlebars 17.5", at deck 9.75"
Height 42.5", when folded 17.5"
• Dry Weight: 32 lbs.
• Carrying Capacity: 400 lbs.
• Tires: 10" pneumatic, all-terrain KENDA 671 street tires on high impact, ultra-light, black “Mach 4” wheels. (Please note: As of 7/10 wheels are now black, not silver in color)
• Go-Ped Warranty: 90-day Go-Ped manufacturer's warranty with a 2-year warranty on the frame and forks.

Last edited:
less chance for a battery fire and you get Mad Dog brakes

then trick it out.... https://youtu.be/yWVAE3BGWlY

GSR Cruiser Specifications
? Speed: 24 mph
? Range: 35-40 miles (at about 100 mpg).
? Motor: 29cc 2.5 HP GPL290 two-stroke air-cooled gas powered engine with a non-adjustable, maintenance free carburetor.
? Frame: 4130 Chromoly GSR chassis and cantilevered 4130 forks, 6061 T6 aircraft grade aluminum handlebars with slightly wider than the standard crossbar for better handling, with a ?Flexdynamic? deck designed to absorb shock. 3 inches of ground clearance.
? Start Method: Pull Start.
? Drive System: Chain drive with a centrifugal clutch. Freewheel capable.
? Oil Type: 2 cycle oil
? Fuel Type: Unleaded Gasoline (high octane recommended)
? Gas Mix: Unleaded gas and 2 cycle oil @ 40:1
? Fuel Tank Capacity: 1.5 liter
? Brakes: Front Mad Dog brake caliper brake and double ground and hardened stainless steel Wave disc rotor.
? Dimensions: Length 44"
Width at handlebars 17.5", at deck 9.75"
Height 42.5", when folded 17.5"
? Dry Weight: 32 lbs.
? Carrying Capacity: 400 lbs.
? Tires: 10" pneumatic, all-terrain KENDA 671 street tires on high impact, ultra-light, black ?Mach 4? wheels. (Please note: As of 7/10 wheels are now black, not silver in color)
? Go-Ped Warranty: 90-day Go-Ped manufacturer's warranty with a 2-year warranty on the frame and forks.

Man that looks like it would be ALMOST as fun as flying to your destination. :D

I'll let you know on Monday...

when this arrives:

71D9wbrVqFL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JGF641V

Claims to be only 13 pounds and 38" long when folded, so it should fit easily in the baggage compartment.

Only thing that sucks about these scooters is that, in the unlikely event your battery dies, you need to push it. I'd rather find an eBike that still gives you the ability to pedal. Haven't found anything decent yet.

I've been carrying my mountain bike to date, which has been OK, and as much as I like riding bikes, they take up a lot of volume in the baggage compartment and my mountain bike took a lot of time to reassemble (I have to re-attach the fork). Most of these scooters you can still use as kick scooters if the battery goes flat. You can find some folding bikes around the same weight as these 15 mile electric scooters, however once you talk electric versions, you start seeing significant weight increases.
Tom.

data point

From what I have seen of people riding those, it takes more than an afternoon of practice!:eek:

The wipe outs are pretty spectacular!

So I pulled the trigger and purchased the Zoom Stryder EX.
Wickedly good specs and reviews. Folds up way more compact than other scooter, goes faster, weighs less (24lb) and goes further. It has front and rear suspension and 8" wheels (big for scooters), heaps of range (30km, or 18km if you drive it like you stole it) and plenty of speed at 30km/h or 25km/h (15mph) if you live in a nanny state. You can't beat it.
I can't believe after all these years of being a bicycle obsessed nut, I've bought an electric scooter, but frankly you can't beat their compactness, weight, range etc. and not being a sweaty train wreck by the time you get to your destination. Just don't tell my buddies back in PDX else I'll never hear the end of it.
I've measured up and I'm pretty sure it will fit fine in the luggage locker of the RV-7, but I'll let you guys know once I have it in my hands.
Here's a detailed review on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6phdEF67fM
and the specifications/written review:
https://electrek.co/2018/10/25/zoom-stryder-electric-scooter/
Cheers,
Tom.

goes without saying, but

make sure you use a helmet. all too easy to find yourself looking at the sky, or dirt, and wondering what just happened.

From what I have seen of people riding those, it takes more than an afternoon of practice!:eek:
Well, I had it in 10 minutes but I used to ride a unicycle... The owner who let me try it had never used one and said it took him an afternoon to get comfortable, and a few weeks to stop thinking about it. I've seen good wipeouts on scooters (powered and unpowered) as well.

So I pulled the trigger and purchased the Zoom Stryder EX.
Wickedly good specs and reviews. Folds up way more compact than other scooter, goes faster, weighs less (24lb) and goes further. It has front and rear suspension and 8" wheels (big for scooters), heaps of range (30km, or 18km if you drive it like you stole it) and plenty of speed at 30km/h or 25km/h (15mph) if you live in a nanny state. You can't beat it.
I can't believe after all these years of being a bicycle obsessed nut, I've bought an electric scooter, but frankly you can't beat their compactness, weight, range etc. and not being a sweaty train wreck by the time you get to your destination. Just don't tell my buddies back in PDX else I'll never hear the end of it.
I've measured up and I'm pretty sure it will fit fine in the luggage locker of the RV-7, but I'll let you guys know once I have it in my hands.
Here's a detailed review on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6phdEF67fM
and the specifications/written review:
https://electrek.co/2018/10/25/zoom-stryder-electric-scooter/
Cheers,
Tom.

I would be interested it your review when you get it. What is it's user weight limit?

110kg or 243lbs. Probably not such an issue if you are operating on flat ground, but I suspect it will suffer when climbing hills at the maximum weight, but then again probably not as much as other scooters given that it has a 500W motor and quality LG batteries.
Tom.

Google scooter and battery fire. Airlines will not carry them so I am not sure we should. To be fair however it appears the greatest risk of fire is during charging.
G

Here we go

Properly treated those batteries are very safe. I carry a company provided 26000 mah lithium battery plus an iPad, MacBook Pro, and iPhone to work every time I go.

I wouldn?t hesitate to carry an electric scooter...

Have carried electric scooter and also small Segway in the RV9A. Works great to get to a hotel, when no Uber is in town. Charging should be watched, but otherwise they are pretty safe these days. Have a folding bike too, for non-lazy days.

Hi All,

So after quite a wait, my electric scooter turned up today.

https://www.ridezoom.co/shop/zoom-stryder/

The thing goes flat out like a lizard drinking. It's a little sketchy on gravel roads because it has solid tires, but on sealed surfaces it soaks up bumps and cracks in the road fine because of the dual suspension. It's super quick to fold down and is literally in the luggage compartment in seconds. If you sit it upright it has to go slightly diagonally, but if you lay it flat (my preferred configuration) it fits like it was made for the back of the RV-7. I keep it in place with a luggage net, and you could easily stack one on top of the other just by placing a towel in between to ensure that don't rub. Tomorrow is it's first outing of decent length, with a 6km trip from the airport to a client's site for an energy audit. They're expecting me to drive the 250km there, so they'll be wondering what is going on when I turn up on a scooter. Regarding the prior posters comment about what to do when the battery goes flat, it also works fine as a regular kick scooter (just a bit heavier) and on the downhills it has regen braking, so you can add a bit of charge on the decent and can get part the way up the next hill. You can charge it from any typical power outlet and add about 15km in an hour of charge. The regen braking is incredibly effective, as of course is the acceleration in general. In Australia they are speed limited to 25km/hr, but it comes with a handy set of instructions that clearly explain how to achieve the full 30km/hr capability (it's literally pressing a few buttons).
Should be a handy piece of kit.

Tom.

2ug04tj.jpg

20t1pa8.jpg

I've been using an Eco Reco scooter for the last couple of years and its pretty good. I bought the heavy duty model. Carries 260 pounds, can get 12-15 miles if you cruise at 10-12mph. I use it to cruise around San Francisco. I've never tried to get 10 miles. I go full speed (20mph with my fat *** on level ground) and am happy to get 4 miles from a full charge.

it is first gen so it weighs 32 pounds! (cringe). I'd prefer a high end foldable bike if its weight vs volume.

Anyone who got their e scooters, how did they end up fitting? Could you give me length dimensions?

I have a Seqway Ninebot E45. It’s a great device for getting around the airport…super fast, fantastic range. I have taken in my -9A, but I can tell you that it is NOT something you just casually throw in the back as an afterthought. It is heavy and awkward (even folded), and if you don’t have a SuperTrax canopy extension…forget it. You’re going to need two men and a boy to get it loaded, and some disassembly (of your airplane) will likely be required. You gotta really want to take that thing with you.

I’ve looked around….it is tough to balance size/weight against range/speed. If you’re young, invulnerable, have a flat-brimmed hat and a death wish…look at the One Wheel.

I’ve looked around….it is tough to balance size/weight against range/speed. If you’re young, invulnerable, have a flat-brimmed hat and a death wish…look at the One Wheel.
Could also look at electric longboards. I find the body geometry during use to be better if you need to make an unexpected stop... You're ready and poised to jump and run. The onewheels just faceplant you.

I picked up a used e-Longboard that's good for 30mi range or 30mph top speed, which is a blast but way faster than you need. Range is reduced at top speed as well. At a more sedate 15mph it'll go a hair over 30mi. It does weigh 18 pounds though... Nothing comes for free.

Properly treated those batteries are very safe. I carry a company provided 26000 mah lithium battery plus an iPad, MacBook Pro, and iPhone to work every time I go.
I wouldn?t hesitate to carry an electric scooter...

I try to think about crashworthiness, which is an example of when they're not properly treated.

A secondary issue is heat inside an RV cockpit greenhouse in Australian summer, which is another example of when they're not properly treated.

I shy away from large-capacity lithium batteries (anything bigger than what's in an iPad) because I can't assure their structural integrity after a crash, and I don't want them to turn a survivable accident into a lethal fire.

Same principle for those lithium jump-start packs that can get you going if your battery is flat. I have one at the hangar which I'll use if I have to, but I'm not going flying with it in the airplane.

- mark

I went with a Brompton (clone) folding bike. Very compact folded but unfolded it is like a full sized bike (handlebar, seat and pedal positions). I could add a electric hub rim and battery and controller to it... however it's pedal power for me. No range or endurance limit except for me, no need to charge.... The wheels are 16" on my bike. Folding bikes are 16" and 20". The roller blade scooters have tiny wheels which concerns me. They catch a crack, uneven surface you will be off. The single wheel unicycle solution is well.... a good way to break bones in my opinion. Even if they are "stabilized" they are not stable and require more skill than a bike. If you do one wheel electric boards, absolutely have helmet, and gloves, elbow pads also a good idea. You will fall, not if but when. Lot's of people hurt them self.

Last edited:
Using the first one on the picture, as it folds nicely, and fits nicely across my luggage compartment... the one in the back does not.

Attachments

• bikes.jpg
    bikes.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 112
Could also look at electric longboards. I find the body geometry during use to be better if you need to make an unexpected stop... You're ready and poised to jump and run. The onewheels just faceplant you.

I picked up a used e-Longboard that's good for 30mi range or 30mph top speed, which is a blast but way faster than you need. Range is reduced at top speed as well. At a more sedate 15mph it'll go a hair over 30mi. It does weigh 18 pounds though... Nothing comes for free.

I was a kid when skateboards hit the scene…after metal wheels but before polyurethane wheels. Loved ‘em of course, but you can therefore infer my advanced age and therefore the consequences of falling off a 30 mph skateboard. “Jump and run” is not a thing anymore….I’m gonna have to go down with the ship. I need something to hold onto so that my upper body is pretty much always on the same trajectory as my lower body.

Inmotion P1F, see https://www.myinmotion.com/products/inmotion-p1-mini-e-bike in the US.
I've had mine for a couple of years, and still happy with it. Top speed is correct on a flat no wind surface, though it surprised me on some inclines by just slowing down but still pushing forward. Realistic mileage is more in the 15 mi range.
Have to add that I'm pretty small for US standards, size and weight speaking ;)

Product model: P1F
Battery brand: LG cells
Battery specifications: 36V (8.7Ah) Lithium Ion
Mileage: 20-25 mi
Motor specifications: 350 w
Max. speed: 18.5 mph (limited to 12mph for first 6 mi, unlock higher speed via app)
Weight: 30 lbs
Maximum load: 265 lbs
Charging time: 5-6 hours
Body dimensions: 35 x 37 x 18 in
Fold dimensions: 35 x 25 x 7 in
Brake mode: Front & rear dual disc brakes
IP level: IP 54
Front wheel: 12 in
Rear wheel: 10 in

I’ve been using the INOKIM Light 2 for the last few months. 2 can fit in the back of a RV-14 pretty easily. Good range (advertised 20 miles and to date very achievable). Suspension a little tight but I weigh in at 220 lbs. Not a deal breaker. Wife says it rides fine but she is much lighter.

Attachments

• 78B3E074-5D30-41CB-BC13-05FA21A5068D.jpg
    78B3E074-5D30-41CB-BC13-05FA21A5068D.jpg
    872.4 KB · Views: 71
Back