What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

video setting/changing xponder code on AV-20

dafast1

I've searched for days, watching dozens of videos on the uAvionix tailBeaconX, while trying to find a pilot actually setting a transponder code on the AV-20-S in flight. Every video and review I've found shows all the various features of the unit EXCEPT setting a code.
Anyone have a link?
Thanks.

I just learned something more; it is the AV-20-E that does the transponder code control. Yet I can’t even find that on the list of products or pictures on the uAvionix website. Hasn’t anyone here got the tailBeaconX WITH the AV-20-E??

I've searched for days, watching dozens of videos on the uAvionix tailBeaconX, while trying to find a pilot actually setting a transponder code on the AV-20-S in flight. Every video and review I've found shows all the various features of the unit EXCEPT setting a code.
Anyone have a link?
Thanks.
The uavionix website has a Windows-based simulator for the AV-20S. Maybe you can use that to see how to set the transponder code when connected to a tailBeaconX?

Wow. And I thought the Becker round transponder was a pain for entering a squawk code. The AV-20 is a bunch of monkey motion. Imagine flying in a stressful situation and trying to get the proper code in, especially if you screw up one number and have to start over again. Now imagine having to show another pilot how that works. Or having a ferry pilot pick it up somewhere. And when when you get old like me and are used to entering codes on the fly. A transponder operation should not take up this much time and attention. No thanks.

Back