What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your 7/7A project!

Horton Aircraft Deconstruction Service..."State of the Art in Takin' Apart"

Attachments

• IMG_20221030_162640061.jpg
    IMG_20221030_162640061.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 316
A Painful Setback!

Let me just say right up front that Jimmy Broad at JB Aircraft Engines in Sebring, FL did me right in the end!

Back in August, I was just days away from my scheduled DAR inspection. As I prepared for the inspection by doing engine runs, etc., I just couldn't get the prop to cycle. We then proceeded to do all the troubleshooting to figure out why the prop wouldn't cycle. From removing the prop and checking the plugs to checking the governor, hi-pressure oil line, etc., and nothing!

In the end, I had to remove the engine and send it back to Jimmy for an internal fix in the engine. During that time, the hurricane hit and the engine return was delayed two more weeks.

After ~5 full days of work, I was able to re-hang the engine and reconnect everything! Of course I was happy that everything just fit this time around.

Last weekend I started the engine and hearing that prop cycle was glorious music to my ears! So, now I'm working to reschedule the DAR.

Just when you think your done bleeding for your plane...NO! This was a painful experience to go through, but I'm grateful for Jimmy for making it right. It had been nearly two years previous that I purchased the engine from JB Aircraft engines. But still, they made it right for me in the end.

I almost considered just going with a fixed-pitch prop, instead of going through the process to remove and send back the engine. Glad I listened to everyone who told me that would be a big mistake!

My RV-7 is back on track now and soon it should be flying. I learned a lot through this process. The picture here shows the engine re-attached to my plane. Stay tuned for more.

Ryan

Attachments

• 20221028_172705.jpg
    20221028_172705.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 203
My next airplane will have a solid aluminum canopy and I'll fly by hanging my head out the window like a golden retriever, but it's trimmed, clipped, clamped, and fits as it should.

Attachments

• IMG_7648.jpg
    IMG_7648.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 201
I know...

My next airplane will have a solid aluminum canopy and I'll fly by hanging my head out the window like a golden retriever, but it's trimmed, clipped, clamped, and fits as it should.

I know you think you are done, I did too at this stage, but...

I think if you trim the curve where the canopy transitions from the fuselage sides to the top, it might remove some pressure off the clamps at the roll bar. I don't know for sure because I cant tell from the picture how much force those clamps exert on the plexiglass. Just a thought.

I know you think you are done, I did too at this stage, but...

I think if you trim the curve where the canopy transitions from the fuselage sides to the top, it might remove some pressure off the clamps at the roll bar. I don't know for sure because I cant tell from the picture how much force those clamps exert on the plexiglass. Just a thought.

Thanks for the thought, but the picture shows it "in process." There was a lot more trimming that happened after that.

The irony is that it's fitting perfectly at this point but it's all coming apart in a day or two because I'm not riveting the skin until after I hang the engine. I just wanted to final trim the windscreen before it got cold and get a final position marked so I could locate holes in the skin for defrost fans and a couple of antenna.

Last edited:
Share the pain...

In the end, I had to remove the engine and send it back to Jimmy for an internal fix in the engine.

Just out of curiosity, and perhaps provide guidance to others, what was the "Internal Fix?"

Glad to hear everything worked out -- you're going to have sooooo much fun with the -7.

Cheers,

Looks good Terry. Congratulations.
Agree. Plexi is a "right of passage" I could skip as well. Sure feels good when that part is done.

CMI SIL011

Brian, sorry for my late response.

I've attached a Continental Motors Service Information Letter (SIL) 011. An internal oil passage needed to be tapped and plugged.

See section VI: Conversion to Constant Speed

Ryan

Attachments

• CMI SIL011.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 183
First engine start

Check out the video below which shows my son and I doing the engine start for the first time. It fired up first go and ran very good.

https://flic.kr/ps/3TnTEo

We have since taxied it around the airport and also calibrated the magnetometer in the Advance Flight ADAHRS.

25 hours in Phase 1 and still grinning! Flying great with no trim required after wheel pants and leg fairings:

Untitled by Dave Hock, on Flickr

Looking pretty :) it's been cold in CO. Was not expected much heat from the standard heat muff and happy to report that it puts out a TON of heat. I've been flying with it just cracked a small amount with a very pleasant cockpit with the OAT's below freezing.

Untitled by Dave Hock, on Flickr

First flight

On Monday VH-NAK took to the sky for the first time with Glenn Bridgland at the controls. Glenn is a Flight safety Advisor (FSA) with the SAAA. I took advice that the builder should not do the first flight and Glenn has many hours on RV's.

Check out the photo below for the RV grins, especially on one happy old builder

https://flic.kr/p/2ob53Go

Then watch the video below. After I took it I realised that I probably should have zoomed in.

https://flic.kr/p/2ob4PRR

The aircraft flew well but I do have a heavy left wing that needs correction.

Status update

Holy cow! Finally all the wire is run. Well except for the stuff coming from the wings. That's no problem. There's plenty of room in the outboard snap bushings. The middle ones are seriously packed.
That ADAHRS cable is a honker! That one and one coax really ate up space. Thankfully, it all fits and I didn't have to drill new holes in the Center Section. Antenna doublers are riveted.
Finally I can move on to the last million little jobs to complete this lady. Too many little tasks to think about.
I'm taking a two week hiatus for a VaCay then back in the factory. We have a Great Grandaughter on the way next week. Gotta go see the baby. Someday maybe she will ride with the old guy.

Working on the F-7106 Fwd Top Skin. This is the last skin to be installed and I held off until all of the stuff behind the panel was done.

I've pretty much hit the limit of what I can conveniently rivet by myself, so I'll have to find something else to do until my rivet partner comes back from a business trip next week.

Attachments

• IMG_8286.jpg
    IMG_8286.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 148
OK...been a while...but...

So...I've been putting the SLOW in slow-build, but hit a pretty big milestone this weekend.

It's flipped...and on the cart.

372682050_10160736507579643_5129308507568597184_n-e1693926627835.jpg

Status

Wow. Finally. Interior and all those electrons are done.
Seats are temporarily installed. Someone will no doubt notice the snaps.
I just couldn't wait any longer and Sweetie wants her spare bedroom back!
We sat inside for quite a while making airplane noises.
Closing up the cockpit and moving on.
Prop Spinner, Empennage Fairing and she goes to the hangar for final assembly. Creeping up on that Airworthyness thingy.
20231012_144655.jpg

20231012_150840.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. Finally. Interior and all those electrons are done.
Seats are temporarily installed. Someone will no doubt notice the snaps.
I just couldn't wait any longer and Sweetie wants her spare bedroom back!
We sat inside for quite a while making airplane noises.
Closing up the cockpit and moving on.
Prop Spinner, Empennage Fairing and she goes to the hangar for final assembly. Creeping up on that Airworthyness thingy.
View attachment 49472

View attachment 49473

Looking Good!

Thats really great Larry.

On a related note, I just wrapped up the canopy skirt by following Larrys excellent series of articles in Kitplanes. Next up is the windscreen.

Thanks a ton Larry for the effort you put in to share that info with everybody.

Attachments

• IMG_8858.jpg
    IMG_8858.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_8863.jpg
    IMG_8863.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 79
Canopy skirt

Thats really great Larry.

On a related note, I just wrapped up the canopy skirt by following Larrys excellent series of articles in Kitplanes. Next up is the windscreen.

Thanks a ton Larry for the effort you put in to share that info with everybody.

Wow! That looks nice. Don't you love the sound when the canopy closes?

Yup, it's quite a feeling.

In my case, it was followed immediately by discovering how hard it is to open again from the outside, even though I had put a tab at the aft left corner, so I took it back off and spent today installing a pull handle on the spine :)

Attachments

• IMG_8866.jpg
    IMG_8866.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 46
Knob

Yup, it's quite a feeling.

In my case, it was followed immediately by discovering how hard it is to open again from the outside, even though I had put a tab at the aft left corner, so I took it back off and spent today installing a pull handle on the spine :)

Yep. Same problem. I put a knob on each side.
Sitting inside today, it's really sealed up.

Major Milestone - Canopy/Rear Window

I recently hit a fairly big milestone! Canopy is done! I still have the fiberglass fairing to do, but I am doing all the fiberglass work closer to the end. Full write-ups for major steps on my blog (link in my signature)!

IMG_5818.jpg

Painted the RV-7 this week in the garage

RV-7 SN 75068. Paint!

https://youtu.be/9_fDLtFGVgQ

Painted the wings and control surfaces this week! Came out good. I posted a YouTube video on the how to. Thanks to those who have done this before me. I learned a lot.

Toolman

Paint!

painted the wings, fairings, and control surfaces last week. Came out good but still have some paint correction to do. plan to box all these parts and take them to the airport while I work on the finish kit and engine this winter.

tool man
IMG_5113.jpg

IMG_5124.jpg

IMG_5123.jpg[/ATTACH]

Vinyl

First part wrapped. There's no Vinyl thread so shoot me an e-mail or check my blog for tips. I found some neat tools to make the job much easier. Nice thing is no Cut & Buff needed.
Sorry. I can't figure out how to post a vertical photo.
20231108_133125.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks man.

I have to admit, that when I'm tempted to just live with a lump or ripple and have the paint shop deal with it later, I go back to the pictures in your kit planes article and say to myself; "if Larry can make gloss black look that good, surely I can do better than this in primer gray."

First part wrapped. There's no Vinyl thread so shoot me an e-mail or check my blog for tips. I found some neat tools to make the job much easier. Nice thing is no Cut & Buff needed.
Sorry. I can't figure out how to post a vertical photo.

Image rotated:

Vinyl.jpg

I just finished installing my Classic Aero interior sportsman seats, floor and center carpet. I sent them a hide from Moore and Giles and requested diamond stitch using thread that matches the interior paint. Fantastic results!
I’ll be adding carbon inserts from dragon plate on the center console and canopy side rails.
IMG_9166.jpg

The photo doesn't begin to do this justice, which I can say after seeing the seats yesterday. The hide and Classic Aero's work really stand out!

Wrapped up the wrap

Wrapped up the fuse.
I still have wings, ailerons and flaps, but those are flat and easy.
20240109_155445.jpg

Thanks man.

I have to admit, that when I'm tempted to just live with a lump or ripple and have the paint shop deal with it later, I go back to the pictures in your kit planes article and say to myself; "if Larry can make gloss black look that good, surely I can do better than this in primer gray."

That's what I did... I was fussing over the fiberglass when my paint shop said: you get it in the air, we'll make it pretty. That saved a lot of hand wringing and work!

That's a fiberglass one piece canopy skirt. It was OK before paint but the shop made it perfect.

Attachments

• canopy.jpg
    canopy.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 101
Paint finish

That's what I did... I was fussing over the fiberglass when my paint shop said: you get it in the air, we'll make it pretty. That saved a lot of hand wringing and work!

That's a fiberglass one piece canopy skirt. It was OK before paint but the shop made it perfect.

That's purdy!

Vinyl

Looks really nice, Larry! How do you lay vinyl when you have items protruding from the flat surfaces, such as your step and rudder stops? Do you just have to guess where the vinyl will lay and cut a slit or is there some other strategy?

Yes. Sort of.
Slit the vinyl. Example is the step. A slit right along the step pipe allows it to lay down enough to squeegee into all the corners. The knifeless tape is the gift from the vinyl gods. That is put in place before applying any vinyl. Once it's all applied, pull the string. Not quite that simple but basically how it's done

Larry, Let’s say a guy would like to practice applying vinyl before actually doing the plane. Do you have any recommendations as to how to go about getting your feet wet before the big event?

Back ordered parts are in and I’m ready for the canopy phase. The supertracks mod is being shipped as we speak.

I am the 3rd owner of this kit that started life in 2002. Bought it in Modesto, CA in Dec 2021, trucked it back to Phoenix, and started work in Feb 2022. I did most of the paint in the summer of 2022, overhauled the IO-360 A1B6, and am now awaiting the inspection from the Phoenix MIDO in the next couple of weeks.

Attachments

• N535D RV7-A.jpeg
    N535D RV7-A.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3003.jpg
    IMG_3003.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3002.jpg
    IMG_3002.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 27
Back