What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

That looked great!

Who owns the beautiful RV-3, or 4 (couldn't tell, as it was going the speed if heat) near Little Rock that I just saw pass at eye level on the Arkansas River at the Maumelle campground? It put a grin on my camper face. Don't be too specific. 10/9/21 1822 hrs.

Proud curator of Trouble

I was on a river run in a superb example of an RV-3B this past Sunday in the vicinity of Maumelle park… It flys at close to the speed of heat..
I had an RV grin for sure.!
Glad to help with yours sir!

Attachments

• 4EDD4EB3-F684-4A01-AB3D-CC91BBE3E652.jpg
    4EDD4EB3-F684-4A01-AB3D-CC91BBE3E652.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 453
It's good to remember that many of our aeronautical decisions will determine whether we are an "old pilot" or a "bold pilot", as the saying goes.

Here's a report that gives some food for thought. I remembered this one when I read your post. Fate is the hunter...

Life’s for living. Have fun while you can. Give me a power line over something drawn out and terminal any day of the week.

Glad you had fun, Buzzland. Look forward to getting mine to a position where I can enjoy it, too!

Give me a power line

http://https://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/aviation/2020/A20W0072/A20W0072.html

From the report:

"Wreckage analysis
When the aircraft collided with the power line, the aircraft contacted the upper wire just over the nose, and then it slid up the cowl until it struck the leading edge of the canopy. The canopy fractured and immediately separated"

Unlike Air Tractors that have hardened steel knife edge cable cutters on the gear legs and roll cage tube leading edges, the plexiglass in an RV does not offer much resistance or protection to power line cables.

Thank you for stating the obvious, F1R. My point was that nobody is making you go out and have fun if you don’t want to.

I am not passing judgement or saying do or don't.
Very simply, like Gash, I felt compelled to offer food for thought.
In the last 3 years I have lost 2 friends to power lines including the pilot in the TC report. A year before that one, another in a Super Cub that as Chuck said just barely flies fast enough to kill you.

There is absolutely no doubt in anyone's mind who knew both pilots, they did not want to leave wives and children behind in the situation they are now in. Perhaps posthumously, they might allow a few pilots to enjoy grandchildren's weddings.

Just looking at that yellow RV 3 makes me grin. Nice lines and a great photo angle.

Fly safe and have fun.

Low Pass

I love to fly the ridges in the same fashion but when it comes to Low Passes I always remember a Blue Angel friends wisdom : “ You know you can only tie the record for the lowest pass”.
Enjoy the flying but for crying out load don’t post your N# on a public site 🥴!

I was on a river run in a superb example of an RV-3B this past Sunday in the vicinity of Maumelle park… It flys at close to the speed of heat..
I had an RV grin for sure.!
Glad to help with yours sir!
Gee... that aircraft looks familiar...
I think I have some photos and video of it that I took recently... I seem to recall you liked them. :D
Glad to see you're getting comfortable with being in Trouble.

Back