What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank #8 screw & Nut pales Layout

RV3Kev

Hi,

I have some issues with layout out the nut plates for attaching the fuel tank to the main spar flanges.

a) On sketch 37 the spacing is 2-/2 " typ while on drawing 12, the plan view give the spacing as 1-1/2" but also as 1-3/4 on section C-C on the same drawing. Just to add the confusion on Drawing 9 the spacing is 1/3/4" Which one is correct?

b) The edge distance is given as 5/16" Can any one confirm that this is correct. It only given on Sketch 37 and not anywhere else. I want to be certain before starting to drill holes.

c) Nut plates are used to join the fuel tank to the out board leading skin via W324 jointing strip. The spacing is given as 2-1/2" on sketch 37 but 2" on drawing 9.

d) No position is given as to how close to the nose of the fuel tank to place the last nut plate on the outboard edge? Too close to the tight radius may cause problems when dimpling or cause the screw to jut out.

Any help would be appreciated

Kevin

RV3 Slow, Slow build.

Last edited:
Very common on the 3 to have different dimensions for the same thing on different drawings. What I did was locate the end fastener locations and divide up the space in between to get uniform spacing. On my 3 that resulted in 30 nut plates along the spar with approximately 1 3/4” spacing. Used 9 screws on the end strip with a little under 1 3/4” spacing. Most forward screw is 16” from the rear edge on the top. Bottom will be slightly different.
All my tank screws are 5/16” from the skin edge.

Nut plate spacing on rv3 tanks

There would not be two rv3 that are identical. Throughout the build spacing of rivets , nutplates and other dimensions can vary. This is part of the fun building a rv3. You build an rv3 ; you assemble a rv14

Steve

Built and loving my rv3B

G'day Kev, I agree with Steve, lots of small variations with RV 3 builds. With mine I placed a screw on the rib line then equally spaced between, measures approx 1 7/16" apart and 30 screws along the baffle with 6/16" edge distance.
I have 10 screws along the joining strip at 1 5/8" and 5/16" edge distance. The last screw is 16 3/4" from skin edge.

Russell

Attachments

• IMG_5115.jpg
    IMG_5115.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 133
I agree with placing a screw on the fuel tank rib line it will make it look neat. Also it should avoid putting a screw inline with the main ribs.

Kevin

Back