What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake fitting leakage.

bernsbm

Friend
Any thoughts on how to approach a leaking brake line fitting (see photo). The fitting was initially installed before the landing gear was mounted. Given the tight space, is it possible to get a wrench with decent leverage on the fitting, and if so, what type of wrench? If not, I will need to remove the gear to address the leak. I'm thinking removal and reinstallation of the fitting may be required. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1870.jpeg
    IMG_1870.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 303
Fitting

The information shown in post #4 will lead you to the previous discussions about how this can be done without removing the gear. In that case it was a Grove gear on a RV8.
As far as tools there are a couple of options. Remove the nylon line and fitting. Screw a nut on the 90 degree fitting and turn it with an open end wrench or even an adjustable wrench, starting with the wrench on the nut.
Second option is to cut off the end of a cheap open end wrench and weld on a flat steel bar at a 90 degree angle. It may be necessary to create two wrenches with different angles.
Another alternative is to cut off the end of the 90 degree fitting and remove the remaining piece with vice grips. In that case replace the 90 degree fitting with a 90 degree street elbow and appropriate straight fitting for the nylon line.
The street elbows are automotive or industrial fittings

Barry, you just might have enough room to tighten the fitting. The compession fittings use with the plastic hose are alittle shorter on the hose side, so it just might clear the the roof and the side so you remove it, reseal it, and reinstall getting it tight. A really good open end wrench with a wide face, but NOT a large head area may clear. Probable have to make that wrench. Hello bench grinder.
Make sure to use a really good sealer, and get it tight.

Tom

Thanks for all the information, links and ideas on how to address the leaking fitting. Still deciding which way I'll approach the issue (literally and figuratively). With my first condition inspection coming up, I'm leaning towards removing the gear leg to fix the leak.

Might want to assemble a few of the suggested wrenches for use down the road!

Thanks for all the information, links and ideas on how to address the leaking fitting. Still deciding which way I'll approach the issue (literally and figuratively). With my first condition inspection coming up, I'm leaning towards removing the gear leg to fix the leak.

Might want to assemble a few of the suggested wrenches for use down the road!

If you haven't already, you might want to consider painting the gear legs while they are off of the plane, to prevent corrosion.

Barry

I have recent experience of this fitting and would recommend removing the gear leg. I noticed a leak there and it is possible to remove the fitting from the gear leg. But what neither I or my partner could do is get the AN fitting started as we tried to put it back in. We could not get our hand at the right angle to do that one turn to get the first thread started before getting a wrench on it. On top of that you have sealant on the threads so you will get that all over the gear leg or you.

I'm still in the building process but it probably took 30 mins to remove the tank and get the leg out and then another 45 mins to put it back and torqued correctly vs the 1.5 hour we wasted getting the fitting out and our attempt to get it back in.

I'm still having problems getting the fitting to be leak free at the base of the gear leg but will post on a separate thread.

Robert

Back