What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv-4 Firewall component installation

propflipper

Hello everyone. I am ready to begin installing all of the accessories attached to the RV-4 firewall. Brake reservoir, solenoids, battery (maybe), etc. I will have horizontal fuel injection and a constant speed prop. A photo of a layout would be very helpful. Thank you in advance for permitting me to benefit from your labors.

Tom

A couple things

The -4 is a bit of a challenge due to size and various configurations. Certain things must be in proper orientation. First concern is engine control cable routing and pass throughs. For my carbureted O-320, they come out through the tunnel low and near centerline. Cabin heat, depending on your plan for that has to be routed with ducting from the heat muff. Your oil cooler location can also impact what can be behind it. Here are a couple pics of mine, though not prefect, have worked well so far. My battery is in the tunnel, but I have room to go on right side of firewall if I want. My heat box is on L/H side, but muff is on R/H pipes, so SCAT tube runs around back. My pressure sender manifold is on L/H upper side. The brake reservoir needs to stay centerline and high. Fuel line and smoke system lines are in tunnel down low. Both solenoids are in tunnel on cabin side and out of the way. Really need engine hung to know some things or face relocating them later. Plan carefully, cut/drill once!

Attachments

• O320 right side.jpg
    O320 right side.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 208
  • O320 left side.jpg
    O320 left side.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 216
More pics of my -4

Here are a couple more pics I have on file.

Attachments

• Tunnel.jpg
    Tunnel.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 202
  • Tunnel routing.jpg
    Tunnel routing.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 172
  • Engine controls.jpg
    Engine controls.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 172
  • Gascolator.jpg
    Gascolator.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 164
i would seriously consider NOT putting the battery FWF. even a light weight battery. with a constant speed prop on a 4 you will be very forward with the empty cg. I have a 360, metal hartzell cs, light weight starter and alternator.i am forward of the cg limit empty with the battery in the stock location.

bob burns
RV-4 n82rb

Back