What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New records by the Cards

Vlad

Well Known Member
It looks like 22C produced the largest amount of beacons to date. 418 points recorded!! What kind of flying did you do Tanya? :D

It looks like 22C produced the largest amount of beacons to date. 418 points recorded!! What kind of flying did you do Tanya? :D

HA! Too funny. Small formation clinic. I finally sucked it up and earned my Lead card yesterday. Headed back this morning to lead the "all-up" of about 11ship. Look for more in a few hours.

HA! Too funny. Small formation clinic. I finally sucked it up and earned my Lead card yesterday. Headed back this morning to lead the "all-up" of about 11ship. Look for more in a few hours.

I will be watching. I am joining voluntary "APRS Police Force" and need some credits. Don't light all the digipeaters in TX. What if an electronic war happens only hams would be able to communicate :D

I will be watching. I am joining voluntary "APRS Police Force" and need some credits. Don't light all the digipeaters in TX. What if an electronic war happens only hams would be able to communicate :D

I concur. Best to turn off the tracker when doing formation stuff to prevent hundreds of beacons from filling the frequency for a couple of hundred miles. This gives the Ham Mafia plenty of reason to complain about those aircraft trackers. ;)

Congratulations on the Lead Card!

Last edited:
Congratulations on your formation proficiency!

With the exception of some short bursts of SmartBeaconing, your track is averaging a pretty standard beacon rate.

I would think most formation work isn't too heavy on the APRS system ... especially after the beginner phase.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed looking at the tracks. I understand not wanting to "flood" the freq. However, for those not familiar that are looking at this, realize that all of that was over one very long day of flying six separate flights (I think. It is a blur). This is some pretty benign flying for training. Airshows on the other hand are a bit of a different deal re APRS. The smartbeaconing goes nuts, and I think actually hits rate limits pretty quickly for the 14min that we're in the box. I have some of those airshow tracks, but it is generally not worth it.

But what do I know. The HAM operating that radio says I'm only authorized to adjust the position of the power switch. How do you know your wife loves you? She comes back from taking the HAM test with stories of the really creepy geeks in the room. Just so we can operate an APRS on her airplane.

Last edited:
...snip...

However, for those not familiar that are looking at this, realize that all of that was over one very long day of flying six separate flights (I think. It is a blur).

... snip...

...She comes back from taking the HAM test with stories of the really creepy geeks in the room. Just so we can operate an APRS on her airplane.

We know Scoot we know. Today I got me APRS Sheriff Badge and a new world order shall be established on Monday. Bread crumbs will be rationed max 400 allowed per day of RVating. All extra beacons are subject to hefty fees paid in bitcoins. All beacon producers shall be registered at n666bk.ru.gov starting tomorrow. Sheriff out :D

Scott, I did notice you had a LOOONG day!

As for the supposed "new sheriff" in town? I think someone needs to find a new day job to keep himself busy.

A hammer? Wrench? and Star? What's next, a p****? ... oh wait, that was in Florida. I vote for an APRS of the Mona Lisa.

Back on subject - Scott, is there a chance we can get you to write up a little of your experience getting your Lead card?

Vlad,

Not looking forward to the bill for this…or maybe the statute of limitations has run out…

Last year's WCFC, similar to what Scoot was flying around doin':

Screen%2520Shot%25202015-03-17%2520at%252012.16.41%2520AM.png

Screen%2520Shot%25202015-03-17%2520at%252012.15.16%2520AM.png

No calls for that weekend, but Alan at VHS did give me a shout a long while ago, after a big formation practice day up at Calaveras. He said he received a few calls from friends complaining about my volume of packets. That's when Alan told me about the dual config capability of my MT-8000FA tracker.

I think its been brought up in earlier threads on APRS, but running switchable configs only takes a switch wired into the installed screw terminals on the MT-8000FA tracker to manage the grounds. From reading the Byonics site it looks like most of the TT-3 based trackers have the option to do this…the RTG-FA has spots on the PCB for it.

I use a hi/lo plan. In hi (X-C) the config file has smart beaconing off and only uses Wide 2-1. In low (low-level flying, mountains or remote areas with few stations), the config has smart beaconing on, and both Wide 1-1 and 2-1 on.

I try to use hi for intensive formation work, like clinics…though looks like I may have forgotten in the above pics :eek:.

Here's a pic of the switches on my tracker case (Pri=Hi=switch up):
IMG_2422.jpg

And Scoot…congrats on the Lead Card!

Cheers,
Bob

PS: Vlad…how long did it take you to set up those GPS point for the Sheriff's Badge? Pretty cool, pardner!

Last edited:
Back