What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nosewheel Balancing and Shimmy Reduction

RVphil

Is wheel balancing worth it as a strategy to mitigate nosewheel shimmy? I just mounted a new Aero Classic (fingers crossed) on the Beringer and have some time to get it balanced while waiting to see if everything is properly sealed.

Wheel shimmy

Although harder to do on a 7A with a 390 I find using full up elevator deflection after landing helps out quite a bit. Also using 50 to 60 psi for your Berringer wheels some help. I assume you are using Michelin Aviators?

Both Aero Sport and stock tires on Beringer wheels had shimmy issues. I've tried between 45 and 60 PSI in the Beringer wheel, and lower range seemed to work better in shimmy reduction. Have not tried Michelin tires but will give them a try next time.

Elevator is full aft when taxiing, and landing. I get the nosewheel off as soon as possible on the takeoff roll which doesn't last long with the 390.

Is wheel balancing worth it as a strategy to mitigate nosewheel shimmy? I just mounted a new Aero Classic (fingers crossed) on the Beringer and have some time to get it balanced while waiting to see if everything is properly sealed.

To your question, yes, I would balance your your wheel. I always balance all my wheels after a tire/tube change. Only takes a couple of minutes.
Will it help your shimmy issue? possibly but you won’t know till you try.
I use one of these.
https://skygeek.com/ats-as01.html?u...Vdy1VSTNJ5lxBLfjmML0RkpSRcG9EgTEaAkDDEALw_wcB

Last edited:
Harbor Freight Balancer

Mine works fine with the wheel bearings inserted in the races. The cones aren't big enough to fit the wheel with the bearings removed.
I found this balancer to be quite sensitive. I was amazed at how much weight was needed to balance the nosewheel.

From another thread on this subject previously (about a month or so ago), replacement cones that will fit can be purchased from www.marcparnes.com . Specifically from Marc, the Ducati DC42 cones. I'd suggest buying them as part of his Harbor Freight Upgrade package - same price, but he also sends a precision-balanced 14" axle rod that is apparently much better than the one you get with the Harbor Freight frame.

I haven't balanced mine yet, it's on the task list for this upcoming winter annual CI work. Just passing along info from the other thread.

Would appreciate the part number of the wheel balancer you got from Harbor Freight. The new tire did induce minor shimmy on a recent flight.

Last edited:
Huh. Not surprisingly, Harbor Freight has removed it from their website. Guess it's another sold-out-our-shipping-container's-worth product. There are tons of equivalents available on Amazon though. Search for "motorcycle tire wheel balancer". Exact same design available in the general $50 range.

Thanks for the followup. Will do some looking on Amazon, though I do like the simplicity of the McFarlane product Walt mentioned. I could use that product for balancing my Polaris SxS wheel sets as well.

Sorry to bring back a dead thread but having just gone thru this wheel balancer pain whilst looking for a <$400 solution:

Harbor Freight/Amazon cones (1 1/8") no longer fit the either with bearings (not best option) or even close to bearing races. According to another VAF'r if you purchase the "DC42 Parts" from here (http://www.marcparnes.com/Ducati_Motorcycle_Wheel_Balancer.htm#DU42) for $50 shipped you'll be able to use the $50 balancer. $100.

Another option which I wish I had seen before assembling the HF one is from Desser, $100 for a bubble balancer style desktop unit that doesn't have bearings that will rust out. (https://shop.desser.com/desser-ga-05dt-static-tire/wheel-a-ga-05/ecomm-product-detail/324692/). Another bonus is you don't have to pull out bearings to get a decent balance like you do with the HF type.

Hopefully nobody else goes in this wild goose chase now.

Back