What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Garmin nav/comm combo would you choose

Weefle

Well Known Member
So here’s my choices of path forward for my nav/comm situation.
Keep in mind I am in Canada so I require 2 separate systems to be legal IFR.

Choice number #1: GTN 750xi paired with a GNC 255A

Choice number #2 GTN 650 xi paired with a GNC 355A

The 750 takes up more real estate on the 310 panel but will work fine. Choice number 2 gives me 2 gps units and one VOR. It also saves me about 2000.00
Is it worth having the larger display of the 750? Or can I display a lot of stuff on the G3X and not worry about the smaller display of the two gps units in #2

Hope this makes sense with it seeming that GPS is certainly going to be around a lot longer than VOR?

If you need two VORs, then the 650 plus the new TRIG NAV/comm. If you just want one VOR/LOC/GS receiver then the Garmin GNC 355 GPS plus the TRIG NAV/Comm.

If you need two VORs, then the 650 plus the new TRIG NAV/comm. If you just want one VOR/LOC/GS receiver then the Garmin GNC 355 GPS plus the TRIG NAV/Comm.

I was thinking trying to keep it all Garmin or does the trig stuff play well with Garmin?

My RV-9A has two G3X Touch screens, and I have it configured with flight instruments and multi-function windows on each side. (Splitting the right side screen moves the center of the multi-function window to the left, closer to the pilot). But I'd really like to have one more big screen...

So the question for your style of flying is, how many big screens is enough? For me, the answer is three, but I wonder if this is yet another question where the correct answer is, one more...

Choice #1 for sure, never heard anyone say the screen is too big!
You also get charts on the 750.

I’d choose option 2 given you have a G3X which can display the maps and plates. I guess the answer may lie in how you intend to use the ship. Lots of long x-country flights might move me to the 1st option.

The short answer is yes.

So you can tune from G3X and display CDI on G3X?
My understanding of the Trig NAV is that there’s no ARINC output so you’ll need to have a standalone CDI with the requisite extensive wiring of output signals to use it. Unless you want to use the on screen CDI. That’s a non starter IMHO.

All the Garmin radios talk seamlessly to each other and to the EFIS for tuning and nav data. I think mixing and matching is a false economy for this setup.

To your original question… one GDU or two? What’s the setup? Whatever screens closest is what you’ll use to tune radios whether it’s a GDU/GTN/GNC. So you probably don’t “need” a 750. I have a 750/355 and the 750s great but I doubt id be constrained if it was a 650.

There’s a good video by Midwest that goes into more details about 650/750.

If it was me I’d do the 660/355. The 355 is very good.

Australia is similar to Canada with some of its archaic roolz. That said. I haven’t shot a VOR or ILS in 10y outside of renewals. So the NAV is just ballast mostly.

Last edited:
Gamin vs Trig

I was thinking trying to keep it all Garmin or does the trig stuff play well with Garmin?

Here's what you're gonna get if it doesn't work as expected:

0e8b7d2c53195177a326670609fcb7ea.jpg

Last edited:
So you can tune from G3X and display CDI on G3X?
My understanding of the Trig NAV is that there’s no ARINC output so you’ll need to have a standalone CDI with the requisite extensive wiring of output signals to use it. Unless you want to use the on screen CDI. That’s a non starter IMHO.

All the Garmin radios talk seamlessly to each other and to the EFIS for tuning and nav data. I think mixing and matching is a false economy for this setup.

To your original question… one GDU or two? What’s the setup? Whatever screens closest is what you’ll use to tune radios whether it’s a GDU/GTN/GNC. So you probably don’t “need” a 750. I have a 750/355 and the 750s great but I doubt id be constrained if it was a 650.

There’s a good video by Midwest that goes into more details about 650/750.

If it was me I’d do the 660/355. The 355 is very good.

Australia is similar to Canada with some of its archaic roolz. That said. I haven’t shot a VOR or ILS in 10y outside of renewals. So the NAV is just ballast mostly.

No clue about using the TRIG NAV/Comm with a G3X (I don’t build with it). I do know that all you say does work using the TRIG with the SkyView EFIS.

No one need use a standalone CDIs anymore.

On the larger screen 750, I just cannot get over the price increase just for marginally larger screen. Flying with the 650 for a decade now I rarely use the 650 screen other than for button smashing. The map, Flight Plan, terrain, obstacles, charts, ADS-B weather and traffics and approach plates and such are far better displayed on the integrated SkyView EFIS. I would assume the same is true for the G3X but cannot confirm.

Use the money you did not spend on the 750 for avgas.

The new RV-10 will have the Garmin GNC-355 and the Trig NAV/Comm.

Carl

works with Skyvies

Like Carl said, it works via 232 between the Dynon skyview and TRIG. Don't need external CDI, I tune via Skyview when source selection is NAV on the Dynon. After talking with Trig and Dynon, the NAV radios don't really need the data rate of a 429 as a GPS does and the 232 ports work adequately. My guess (what its worth) this will be how the G3X works also.

Disclaimer- The Trig TX56 is new, so right now there is some software issues being worked at Trig to don't affect the functionality of the COM/NAV and Dynon integration-just how they are talking. Trig just got their Dynon Skyview rig in the lab and have reproduced how I have mine talking to each other. They are working on software patch.

VOR?

I didnt install a VOR in my plane. Mostly because I didnt think they were used much any more and to me they are very confusing. Im sure I could learn but with GPS is there a reason? I know for IFR you need something besides the G3X so if that requires a VOR, I understand.

I have found with the G3X you can intercept a radial if that ever came up. I didnt even realize it until a couple weeks ago when my instructor and I were just looking at different screens. I agree with the others - better to stick to one manufacture.

What fun it is that you have the choice!!

Thanks for all the advice …

I settled on option #2. One of the reasons is I plan to cross the pond one day and having the second GPS just makes more sense than 1 gps and 2 VOR.
If money were no object a 750/355 would be nice but a man’s got to know his limitations!

Keith

In my RV-14, I have a GTN 650 Xi and a remote Comm 2. I see no need for a second IFR GPS or second VOR receiver, but I wouldn't go without a second Comm radio. I have two 10" G3X Touch screens. If I were to do it over, I would go with a single 10" G3X Touch and replace the 650 with a 750. I rarely use the MFD over on the copilot side but I would like to have the 750 available as a map view when I am looking at other stuff on the split PFD.

In my certified plane, I'm putting in a new panel, including replacing my 750 with a 750 Xi and my 430W with a 650 Xi. The main reason for the 650 instead of a simple Comm radio is that I could not find a straight Comm radio that could be remote-tuned from the G500 TXi, which was important to me.

Thanks for all the advice …

I settled on option #2. One of the reasons is I plan to cross the pond one day and having the second GPS just makes more sense than 1 gps and 2 VOR.
If money were no object a 750/355 would be nice but a man’s got to know his limitations!

Keith

This would be my choice as well., with the G3X for a display the 750 gets someone nothing more than more screen space. With the 650 and 355 you get a second GPS increasing the safety margin if a failure happens in one of the 2 units.

This would be my choice as well., with the G3X for a display the 750 gets someone nothing more than more screen space. With the 650 and 355 you get a second GPS increasing the safety margin if a failure happens in one of the 2 units.

A 650 with both a 355 and a GPS equipped G3X will yield three GPS systems, and a big price tag.

Carl

A 650 with both a 355 and a GPS equipped G3X will yield three GPS systems, and a big price tag.

Carl

Agreed, my understand was there was already a G3X in the setup, after re-reading that may, or may not be true. If there is or will be a G3X in the setup then I stand my my choice, if a G3X is not in the plans, then I'd consider the 750 + Nav/Com, but would likely still go with the 650/355 combo.

Another option is adding a 760 portable instead of a G3X, the 760 will display all the may, flight plan, approach fixes, and approach plates in a larger easy to read screen when linked to the 650 (not sure about the 355, but that may be possible as well.

My setup for ref 2 G5s, one for attitude, one for HSI. Old 430W with flight stream 210 and a 760 portable. With flight stream I get the 430W flight plan displayed on the 760, a GDL39 provides traffic, weather and ADHARs to the 760 giving me may of the important features of the G3X without the heavy price tag. This setup allows for upgrades overtime and is very cost effective.

Back