What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

0-320 E2D

-goose

Well Known Member
Hi, has anyone had any experience of fitting an 0-320 E2D into an RV-9A? Apparently this model of engine has the "same front" as an 0-235 but what this actually means in practical terms I don't know. I'm concerned it may affect the fit of things up the front. Any insight appreciated!

Cheers,
John.

Ask Vans?

My buddy owns a RV9A and he has an O-320-E2D and in fact just ordered that same engine New from VAN's since his is approaching 3k hours. His old engine came out of a 172.

Hope that helps.

O-320-E2D

The same front end refers to the front main bearing on the crank shaft. Both have the same small bearing (O-235 and the O-320-E2D). This bearing is about half the size of a bearing in other engines, in particular a 160 HP engine. Externally there should be no difference between this engine and others except for something like an H2AD series engine. I installed a large front main bearing when I overhauled my E2D and bumped it up to 160 HP.

I originally had a high-time O-320 E2D on my 9A. No problems at all. When overhaul time came, I swapped the engine out for an ECI Titan OX340 stroker and it fit up great as well. The only thing the "same front" comment applies to is the front main bearing inside the crankcase. It's a split (4-piece) bearing instead of a 2-piece bearing with larger halves. No physical difference at all for fit or installation.

Probably the only thing to be aware of on the E2D is most of these engines came off Skyhawks and therefore don't have fuel pump provisions on the accessory case. You may have to remove the accessory case (easy), send it out to be machined, and purchase a fuel pump gear and pushrod in order to use a standard mechanical fuel pump. This is a relatively simple conversion.

I also have an O-320-E2D flying in my RV-9A. I bumped the compression to 8.5:1 and added Fuel Injection with dual P-Mags.
I used the wider IO-360 bottom cowl and had no issues with fitment with Vetterman's dual muffler exhaust and the stock Van's filtered airbox.

Lots of photos on my website.

[QUOTE

Probably the only thing to be aware of on the E2D is most of these engines came off Skyhawks and therefore don't have fuel pump provisions on the accessory case. You may have to remove the accessory case (easy), send it out to be machined, and purchase a fuel pump gear and pushrod in order to use a standard mechanical fuel pump. This is a relatively simple conversion.[/QUOTE]

My e2d has a fuel pump.

Also, a mechanical fuel pump is over $500 bucks now. Why not just put in another electric pump (40 bucks) and 2nd battery? Way cheaper and probably more reliable. No machining required. The 2nd battery can also be a backup for EFIs etc. My friend with a -6 with an H2AD went that way and never looked back. Those mech fuel pumps are 1920s tech.

Back