What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N526RV is officially an airplane and IT FLIES!!!

AltonD

Well Known Member
Vic Syracuse did the deed and inspected N526RV. It is officially an airplane.
After addressing a few squawks, 526RV took to the air. 2 hours of circling the airport and getting the feel of the controls. Oil temp started out at 193 degrees. By the end of the flight, It was down to 183. Still some work to do on the baffle gap seals. At 25 squared, CHTs were running 410 degrees with 12 GPH fuel flow.
The first landing was a squeeker. Thanks to Jan Bussell. I could have pulled the nose a little higher, but it was passable.

Vic handing me the AW certificate.
FP28082010A0003T.jpg

First Take off:
FP28082010A0003U.jpg

The RV Grin
FP28082010A0003V.jpg

The only squawk: The Garmin 430W is not receiving a VOR signal. I'll look at this tomorrow (The SL30 works just fine for Nav).

Last edited:
Alton,
I followed your progress for couple years! Used your weblog thank you and congratulations! Many trouble-free hours to you and your bird! Now I will be looking for you in Trip Write Ups section :)

IT FLYS!!!

How big of a radius did you get to fly the hours off? Did you qualify for 25 or is it 40 hours? Maybe you can make it to 17J when you get brave. I'll have a cold one waiting (a bottle of water, that is)!

40 Nautical mile radius. I can make it down there (after I get a little braver. 40 hours, I have an experimental engine, Factory YIO-360-M1B. Even if I did have a certified, I have experimental ignition. No matter, it will take me that long to learn all of the bells and whistles. I did engage the autopilot from the EFIS. That is sweet. Dialed in an altitude and a heading and watched it go to work. I think I have a heavy left wing. I am going to fly it some more before I do anything with it. The ball stayed centered the whole flight. I just had to add a little rudder when I really banked it over. I intended to shoot the final at 75 knots, but instead, I was a little fast @ 80. It was fine. I floated a little, but it settled right in. No bounce at all. I still need gear leg and wheel pant fairings. Are you going to be at the airport tomorrow? I think I need to shoot a pile of touch and gos before I venture to strange territory.

Last edited:
Thanks Vlad. I'll be waiting to hear of your first flight. A -9 builder and now a 7 builder kicked me and helped me to get finished this year.

Congratulations Alton...

....I agree with your decision to stay close to the airport for the first several hours. Heck, even venturing beyond gliding distance after 5 hours kinda tightened my gut:)

Take both cowls off often and really look things over carefully.

Best,

....I agree with your decision to stay close to the airport for the first several hours. Heck, even venturing beyond gliding distance after 5 hours kinda tightened my gut:)

Take both cowls off often and really look things over carefully.

Best,

In my case, the airport is surrounded by subdivisons. After the intial 15 minute first flight, and inspection...............I took off on a hundred mile one way trip to a distant airport. It was over freeway & open desert on a Sunday. My flight testing area was rather large, but not a radius. I was also followed by a chase plane.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Somewhere in the back of my mind...

...I recall being told that our Freeways were designed to possibly be used for our fighter airplanes in the event of a nuclear war and our primary airports destroyed...long enough sections for fighters to land and take off from.

Anyone know if there's anything to this?

Thanks,

Congratulations!

Al,
Many congratulations!! I've been watching nearly since the beginning. It's really good to have you around for encouragement. Now when you get to feeling better aobut leaving home, 33J would be a good place to land. You could take a break and come to the shop and help me get mine done!!!! ;)

Have fun and be safe.

Alton,

Congratulations,

It's been fun watching you build, you will love flying RV's. Hopefully Vic can come down to Tampa in about two months and inspect the 10. You think Vic will give me a big enough radius to make Dothan.

Pat

Alton,

. . .Hopefully Vic can come down to Tampa in about two months and inspect the 10. You think Vic will give me a big enough radius to make Dothan.

Thanks!!
It never huts to ask. Vic gave me a good inspection. He flew the 10 into Headland.

I had flight #2 today. Cylinder temps seem to have settled in acceptably. I did 17 touch and go landings. I can't believe how good this thing flys. I downloaded the flight data and have just spent the last hour charting. It is really cool stuff. Oh, throw in a couple of flaps up/down power off stalls for good measure.

Back