What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DR Flies A RV-4 For The First Time

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
...copy/pasting text from the front of vansairforce.net so it'll be in the archives here. What an awesome plane!!!

Pictures at: http://picasaweb.google.com/VansAirForce/JayPrattRV4

I'd say 99% of my RV time over the last seven years has been in my RV-6. I've been lucky enough to get to fly a few of my friend's planes, but not as much as you might think. Flown Ross' RV-6 a few times, two of Jay's RV-6s on more than one occasion, Scott's RV-7 for a couple dozen hours or so, Alex's RV-10 for a bit from the left seat and some time in the yellow RV-12 prototype with Gus. Notice a pattern? All side by side. All left hand on control stick (I flew the -12 from the right seat if memory serves).

In the right hand control stick column I don't have much data to present - only a little time up front in Danny's 'Beautiful Doll' (some with him in the back and some solo) and a solo hop in Jay's RV-8 Borrowed Horse). That and a few flights with me in the right seat of my RV-6. Nothing to write home about. Not exactly Bob Hoover.

Yesterday I had a plan A and a plan B. 'A' was to push out the site, get some paperwork done, call an advertiser or two, then head out to the airport to help Jerry move a motorcycle up/down a trailer. Plan 'B', if 'A' didn't end up happening, was to fly over to Jay Pratt's place at Hicks and take him up on his offer to fly his newly acquired/fixed up RV-4. The motorcycle move didn't pan out, so I launched for the six minute flight over to Hicks around 0900.

Finally got a RV-4 in the logbook - yesterday I flew one for the first time. It flies considerably different than my RV-6, and it 'had me at hello', as Rene said. Of course, Jay being Jay, he said to leave my plane there and take his for a week. That guy is a national treasure, IMHO. I deferred and only took it up for about .3hrs. If my RV-6 were an automobile, that RV-4 felt like a motorcycle. I bet if you stepped from a RV-10 into this thing and took it up, it would feel like you were going from an automobile to a jet pack. What a blast!!!

The roll rate was amazing. Hypersensitive compared to the -10 I flew, and much faster than both the -8, -7 and -6's in my logbook. Flying along there dumb and happy, I kept twittering the stick back and forth in about a six inch arc, just marveling at the responsiveness. Motorcycle on a curvy road. I think I did ten rolls. What really struck me in a positive way was being on the centerline instead of a foot or so to the left of it during those rolls. It made a difference that I appreciated. Rolls felt more like 'rolls'.

In pitch it was a little heavier than my -6. I suspect with a pax in the back it would feel about the same.

Viz was outstanding. Although I didn't take any measurements, I suspect you sit a little closer to the leading edge in the -4 compared to the -6, and the view over the wing in a shallow turn was almost straight down. Having a view on the right side for a change was a nice surprise. You know that feeling in your brain when you fly a strange airplane? My brain did that when I looked down on the right side <g>.

Jay's RV-4 is a fixed pitch 160hp model with electric flaps and manual trims. One non-standard mod it has is a counterbalanced rudder. Slippery compared to Flash with its C/S prop. I had a FP prop on it for a few years and remembered the larger patterns that it called for (later). Of course I forgot about it on the first landing attempt in this plane and dang near landed south of Fort Worth. I'm accustomed to my -6 falling like a rock on the final turn and this plane just never fell. My ham-fisted technique didn't help, either.

The manual pitch trim was in a spot I hadn't expected - outboard of the throttle. You can see it the pictures below as the blue-knobbed lever on the far left. As I came into the pattern and throttled back to what I thought would be a nice setting for that leg, I found my fingertips resting just on the trim knob. Right where you would want them. A slight tweak and the trim was nailed for that setting. Definitely one of those 'less is more' setups, one which I now prefer to my electric trim (go figure).
The sight picture over the nose is amazing. Not trying to wear out the analogy, but it's like sitting on a motorcycle as you crest the top of a hill. You can just SEE over the nose, and of course this made flying much more pleasant. One of the pictures below shows the view over the nose - just look how much ground you can see down both sides and out front.
The second TnG was better and the third was almost acceptable. I went for a wheeler and flared about where I would in my -6, but I guess you sit a little lower in the -4, because I missed the 'wheel kiss' and Jay said I floated a third of the way down the runway about four inches off the surface. I bounced the cr@p out of it, of course, with Jay and Roy watching. Ugh.

Jay calls this RV-4 his 'airport courtesy plane', and he has offered its use to a few of us. Like I said....national treasure. If I already had a RV flying and somebody offered me my choice of a flying RV-4 or RV-8 to go with it for free, I think I'd take the -4 (sorry Danny!). I'm 5'10" and 170lbs, so my not-so-tall-or-wide frame fits really nice, and I must admit being drawn to that little cramped fighter feel. I've got some buddies that flew the A-4 (Heinemann's Hot Rod) back in the day, and to hear them describe what it was like to get into one and close the canopy turns my noodle in a RV-4/3 way. It's hard to describe, it just felt RIGHT closing that canopy and sitting there snug in a tight-fitting aluminum cocoon. Would I want to fly it to Idaho like this? No. Would I want to go do loops and rolls and twenty TnGs for an hour? Absolutely!!! It has an autopilot, but you gotta know I didn't think about turning that thing on for one second.

I could *feel* the lightness in the maneuvers. This thing just oozes 'flip me over and over on a warm summer evening'.

Jay's been telling some of us that he'll sell it eventually somewhere in the $49K range. It's worth it. If I had an extra fifty large in my pocket I'd hand it over to him in a second. Susie might feel differently <g>.
I've never felt so right about building a -3B as a second airplane to go along with my -6. I can only imagine how much fun formation and acro are going to be in that thing.

March 18, 2009....my first RV-4 PIC time. Right there for a few minutes I felt like a bona fide Mustang driver, instead of a Tweet guy <g>. A good day, indeed!

I hope Jay doesn't sell this -4 too soon. I wanna fly it some more, and I think I owe him a couple lunches.

The RV-4 rocks.

Pictures at: http://picasaweb.google.com/VansAirForce/JayPrattRV4

felt like a bona fide Mustang driver, instead of a Tweet guy <g>. A good day, indeed!

The RV-4 rocks.

I was a Tweet FAIP. Going from the T-38 backwards to the T-37 was a real bummer. Many of the reasons you describe is why I wanted an RV where you sit on the axis not beside it. Of course there are some advantages to abreast not trying to start that up, please no! We have been over that before. :rolleyes:

Good write up.

Well, I posted the following in Mr. Pratt's "FUN!!!" thread, but figure that it fits here better now that you've created this one:

Great write up Doug. From someone who is, at times, discouraged that he's 3 months deep in trying to close the deal on his first airplane (an RV-4, of course) thank you for that!

Now you need to jump into a F1 rocket and give it a try. I love flying the 4 for local fun flights but not long xcountry trips.

The only RV I have ever flown is my RV-4 so I do not have any other RV data points to compare to. All I can say is that the 184 hours I have in my -4 are the most satisfying hours I have ever spent in an airplane. I am amazed that I actually built this fantastic flying machine. Control response and visibility are beyond compare and it don't look bad either. I flew my Cessna C140A less than 15 hours this past year because I cannot stay out of the -4.

Jerry Isler
Donalsonville, GA
RV-4 N455J
1949 C140A N9641A

Rv4 / RV8 / Tweets

Doug, that was a fun piece to read! Interesting how much of an impression a change to centerline seats and 8" longer ailerons can make, compared to your 6.

I agree, the 4 is a sweet ride. The one I built was a 200HP Barret powered fixed pitch hot rod. It was a pure joy to fly, unless I had more than 200 pounds in the back, beyond which it slowly became dynamically unstable in pitch (but manageable).

The 8 feels heavier in roll, I think, due to its being a little heavier plane and it has higher roll inertia: more fuel in the wings. (they have exactly the same wing aerodynamically). Funny you mention the A4 there... the guy who bought my 4 was an ex A4 pilot, and he was HOOKED on the first ride - sold. I do miss that airplane... :(

Loop.jpg

And hey all you Tweet bashers! C'mon now, you gotta admit the little jet could turn like a gnat under a light bulb, and it had superbly balanced flight controls. Tell me: when was the last time you spun, or snap-rolled a JET airplane?? Huh??? ;)

Now you have had a wee taste of a Harmon or F1 Rocket.;)

Don't ever fly a rocket as you will not want to fly anything else ever again.:rolleyes:

Hey Doug,
I think you got the description dead on, the -4 is a great flyer and may be Van's best all around.
....Welcome...to (-4) Wonderland

P.S. Milt.....I'd really love to get my hands on Rocket but I couldn't afford the side effect.

Glenn Wilkinson
RV-4
N654RV @ MLJ

Wrong...

The only RV I have ever flown is my RV-4 so I do not have any other RV data points to compare to.
Jerry Isler
Donalsonville, GA
RV-4 N455J
1949 C140A N9641A

....check your logbook from a coupla years ago:) You do have RV-6 time:D

Come visit,

Back