What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

adsb

VETE76

Well Known Member
looking for adsb in out solutions in my RV7,
my current xponder has failed. need to replace. please suggest a couple alteratives so i become compliant.
thanks
fred

i am from the old school. strictly steam gauges. only "glass" is my OLD 295. conus only. going out to see which xpon i have.
f

Last edited:
AOPA has a good selection tool you can use. Any answer would require more questions before it would be helpful.

* Panning on installing an EFIS?
* 1090 or 978 (UAT) out desired?
* Planning to fly outside the CONUS?
* Which transponder do you have now and would you prefer to replace your old one with a used slide-in?
* Which transponder are you considering

Last edited:
Along those lines, avionics shops have lots of old transponders that were traded in for new extended squitter ADS-B out transponders. For example, I've got a KT-76A that was replaced. Your least expensive option may well be to replace your old transponder with the same model, then add on a UAT ADS-B out unit like the Garmin GDL82. There are other UAT ADS-B out units announced, but some of those are by startup companies new to the avionics business and there is the obvious risk associated.

As for ADS-B in, that's not required. There are lots of low cost units that will work with a tablet, and there are hand-held GPS units that can display ADS-B in data.

You asked a simple question with a loooooooooong answer.

MyChoice

My transponder needed to be replaced as well, eventually I went with a trig TT31 with a Garmin GPS20A feed. The TT31 fitted best in my panel, the 20A requires an external antenna, but has no panel input. I did have to use an airspeed squat switch to transition to on the ground transponder taxi output. This gave me ADSB out, not interested in ADSB in as yet.
Perceived benefits of this approach:
1. Possibly better technology with mode S transponder.
2. I found the wiring setup easier to understand with the Trig manual.
3. Used the 20A feed to my 406Mhz beacon
4. If you consider the transponder a "sunk cost" the added cost for the 20A was relatively small
5. International ADSB out requirement is satisfied
6. Once the squat switch was added, the Public ADSB Performance Report (PAPR) came back as a pass and has continued so for the 9 months it has been installed
7. All that is required is to turn the TT31 on and off, one of the positions on the function switch tells you what coordinates are being sent out, and that the system is working

looking for adsb in out solutions in my RV7,
my current xponder has failed. need to replace. please suggest a couple alteratives so i become compliant.
thanks
fred

i am from the old school. strictly steam gauges. only "glass" is my OLD 295. conus only. going out to see which xpon i have.
f

The Appareo Stratus ESG appears to be the best for my RV-6 and have been on top of my update method for at least 3-years now.

Contact Jim Weir RST and Steinair to check on prices.

Ed has it right. If low cost is your goal, buy a used GTX327 (selling here on vaf for $400); buy a uAvionics Echo ($1K) plus their gps ($400) and an iPad to display -in data.
If you want all-new: Trig TT22 ($2K); GRT GPS ($500); any of a number of ADSB-in boxes ($500) that will wifi couple to an iPad.

ADSB in

Do let us know what you think when you do become interested in it. :D
What I think is that ADSB-in can be very useful in providing traffic information, and I KNOW that on at least 3 occasions it has provided in-cockpit directional information toward my ADSB-out RV4 for the element lead during formation rejoins. Much better than a DF steer!

What I also KNOW is that pilots in general have their heads inside the cockpit way way too much during VFR conditions and that our great new technologies can badly exacerbate this problem, particularly if they are not well integrated to facilitate your VFR crosscheck. Think driving your car and playing with your cellphone.

Weigh the alternatives and make your choice but please keep your head out!

Feetwet (The safest way out of NV airspace UNLESS you forget to squak and the Navy shoots you down)
4500 hrs F105,F111,Hawker Hunter,Buccaneer, A10
1000 hrs RV4
Human Factors Analyst, Boeing(Retired)

What I think is that ADSB-in can be very useful in providing traffic information, and I KNOW that on at least 3 occasions it has provided in-cockpit directional information toward my ADSB-out RV4 for the element lead during formation rejoins. Much better than a DF steer!

What I also KNOW is that pilots in general have their heads inside the cockpit way way too much during VFR conditions and that our great new technologies can badly exacerbate this problem, particularly if they are not well integrated to facilitate your VFR crosscheck. Think driving your car and playing with your cellphone.

Weigh the alternatives and make your choice but please keep your head out!

Feetwet (The safest way out of NV airspace UNLESS you forget to squak and the Navy shoots you down)
4500 hrs F105,F111,Hawker Hunter,Buccaneer, A10
1000 hrs RV4
Human Factors Analyst, Boeing(Retired)

I agree but we were also told that GPS would be killing pilots as well

I do agree

"TRAFFIC, 2 O'CLOCK, 1 MILE, 500 FT ABOVE!" -- in my headset is most definitely going to have my head up and eyes out the window! Actually, they will be looking at 2 O'Clock, 1 mile, 500 ft above!

Back