What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Introductions

svanarts

Well Known Member
We've probably all seen each other's emails in VAF or the RV-List but why don't we all introduce ourselves?

Scott VanArtsdalen
RV-4 N311SV
150 hours
O320-D2A, Catto Prop
Based in Oakdale, Ca (O27)

Great idea Scott. Also put your home location in your signature line.

> oldsfolks < is Bob and Lucille Olds , Charleston,Arkansas - formerly of Mount Shasta,Calif. until 1992. We have built our second RV-4 ( 150 HP,Pacesetter wood prop, inverted fuel & oil systems, day/night VFR ) and first flight was March,2003. It now has 61 hours and is sitting in the hangar on our farm , waiting for the FAA to clear a special issuance medical for Bob.

Bob Olds RV-4 , N1191X
Charleston,Arkansas
Real Aviators Fly Taildraggers

I haven't posted in the other RV lists, but this seems like a good time to introduce myself as a fellow RV-4er. My plane was just recently completed (3-29-04) after ...ahh... about 15 years of building. (Kind of embarrassing, but what can I say.) I currently have about 120 hours on it. It is powered by an O-360-A1A and I just recently switched from a fixed pitch Sensenich (72 dia x 86 pitch) to a Whirlwind 151 constant speed prop. (for a net 14 lb weight savings). The plane is based at Hicks Field in Ft Worth (T67) in a hanger with 3 other RVs.
From a personal perspective, I am an engineer at Lockheed Martin, and a single Dad.
Hopefully I will be getting to know a few of you in the future, and maybe fly with you.

Andy Duff
RV-4 N360AD

Ha! You slacker! I finished my -4 in ONLY 14 years!

I also have a Sensenich F/P prop, what do you think of your change to the Whirlwind?

Jeff
KFNL Colorado
"Toucan" N605RV

I loved my Sensenich. It was a great compromise between cruise and climb...but it was still a compromise. There are lots of ways to get fun out of these aircraft, and take-off and climb performance is certainly one of them. The climb is phenomenal! It's also great to be able to push the throttle up without worrying about exceeding the redline. I have the older "long" style cowling, and the "short" gear. So I needed a prop with an extended hub, and I really didn't want anything longer than the 72" prop I had. The Whirlwind 151 is available in extended hub at the same price as the compact, and at 68" diameter, the extra ground clearance doesn't hurt.
I have climb and cruise performance documented for my Sensenich, and hope to get the same data soon for comparison on the Whirlwind. When I get it, I will post. Oh yeah, one other thing, the smoothness of this prop is unbelievable.

Prop me up!

Andy, Scott;

I have probably flown more different props on RV's than anybody, for what reason I can't recall...ha! Anyway, I have been flying my neighbors 200HP MT3 blade RV8 alot lately giving me some great data. First, if you are a short strip guy(mine is 980' long) the 200HP RV8 gets in and out of my strip like a Super Cub. On approach, the MT 3 blade at idle acts like an airbrake allowing very impressive descent rates over obstacles and air braking on rollout as well. It is extremely smooth, even compared to my Catto Composite 2 blade on "The Bandit", my 150HP RV4. Takeoff is brisk and uses exactly half the distance (300') of my RV4. Speed and economy are also optimized since you can dial the RPM's back and GPH. The MT may be slightly slower than the blended blade Hartzell by Van's recent comparison, but smoothness and aerobatics are high on my list. In my neighbor's 200HP RV8 alongside a 150HP RV8 with a Hartzell, 23 squared for both of us yielded 157 knots, identical speed! (a tribute to Van's designs). You can go faster in RV's but fuel burn is the cost.
So what is my point? If you need all around performance and have the money, buy a composite C/S prop, period. I think both the MT and Whirlwind are great products. MT has their distributorship and shop in FL and Whirlwind is in CA if you add logistics to the equation.
As far as the Sensy 70CM goes, mine lasted on my RV4 one week. I didn't like the harmonic vibrations, poor aerobatic capability, poor short field capability and weight so I sold it. If you go FP, call Craig Catto or Gary Hertzler, they make the two best FP wood/composite props I have tried.

Good Luck!
Rob Ray

Last edited:
Great points Rob. My Sensenich comment was made based on a datapoint of one. I felt like the prop balanced the trade between climb and cruise performance pretty well but it definitely had some drawbacks as well. Some of my amazement with the 3 blade Whirlwind 151's smoothness may be based on the fact that the Sensenich was somewhat rough. There certainly were some harmonic vibrations at certain rpms. Also, with the 4" extension, bolts and spinner, that prop weighed a touch over 48 lbs!
So far, I'm having a blast with the Whirlwind, even though I've only got about 5 hours on it. But like you said, cost is a factor....and a big one. I had to sell my motorcycle to buy it (and the governor).
Cool that you have access to other planes...and friends that trust you with them. Don't know most of the folks flying these planes yet, but sounds like you have plenty of flying experience. Maybe see you at a fly-in sometime.

I wanna make sure everyone knows who Smokey is.... He sent me this a while back:

click to enlarge​

Last edited by a moderator:
I am new to the RV world. I just picked up an RV4 kit which has been around for a long time (#1669) with only the tailfeathers done plus fuel tanks. I will finish it in a lot less time than it was stored. I have experience building 3 Sonex's, one of which I am presently flying.

Tom Zelie
Orchard Park, Ny

I'm Gary Voth and I fly an RV4 N95HD built by Herman Deirks.
I live in Cleburne TX and keep the plane at a grass strip in Godley TX
Love the RV4 160HP withe Sensensich FP metal Anyone else aroune here interested in Alaska nest summer?

Intro

C-FRVE was first flown July 7th 2001. It has an O 320 E2D engine with a Colin Walker 70diax69 wood prop. It weighed in at 973# and has Day/night VFR instruments. I have 150 hrs on it now...I know that is not much but remember where I live, without a heated hanger I don't fly from November till April.....I am really enjoying flying her and look forward to making it to some of the larger flyins. I fly out of Saskatoon Sk. Canada (CYXE)....and also have a grass strip at the farm which helps keep the short field skills somewhat sharp. I just bought a 70diax73 wood prop to try. If anyone has tried this combination I would like to hear about it. Here are some of the things I like and dislike about the -4
Like:
- center seating
- feel in the air and on the ground
- big canopy..great view
- flies great when light
- easy to get at instruments with detachable fwd skin.
- simple to maintain (all RV's )
- great for short field

Dislikes:
- with two people (any size) not much room (weight) left for baggage
- not much room for maps etc. ( I used the fwd baggage aluminum Van's sent for other things....rear seat heel wells)
- hard to get at battery (thus the need for a external plug for charging,boosting etc.)

Gary Voth said:
I'm Gary Voth and I fly an RV4 N95HD built by Herman Deirks.
I live in Cleburne TX and keep the plane at a grass strip in Godley TX
Love the RV4 160HP withe Sensensich FP metal Anyone else aroune here interested in Alaska nest summer?

Hi Gary,
How close is Gleburne to Alvarado? I'm going to be visiting an old friend there this summer on my way back from Oshkosh. Have any suggestions for good airports to stop at in the area while visiting?

Marc DeGirolamo said:
Here are some of the things I like and dislike about the -4
Like:
- center seating
- feel in the air and on the ground
- big canopy..great view
- flies great when light
- easy to get at instruments with detachable fwd skin.
- simple to maintain (all RV's )
- great for short field

Dislikes:
- with two people (any size) not much room (weight) left for baggage
- not much room for maps etc. ( I used the fwd baggage aluminum Van's sent for other things....rear seat heel wells)
- hard to get at battery (thus the need for a external plug for charging,boosting etc.)

Here's another for the 'likes' list:
- sexiest airplane in the Van's fleet, quite possibly the world (okay, maybe the Hughes H1 racer wins that one)

Another for the disklikes:
- Van's won't make a quickbuild kit
- Van's won't sell RV-4 pre-punched kits

Answering for the 'other Gary' :)

svanarts said:
Hi Gary,
How close is Gleburne to Alvarado? I'm going to be visiting an old friend there this summer on my way back from Oshkosh. Have any suggestions for good airports to stop at in the area while visiting?

I am Gary, but not the Gary from Cleburne. However, I only live about 30-minutes from him, so I figured I would answer the question for him, in case he doesn't log on for awhile....Cleburne is VERY close to Alvarado! As us golfers sometimes say, "it's about a par-5 away" :D

Or the Texan's who may partake in an occasional adult beverage? We (they) say, it is about a "two beer drive between Alvarado and Cleburne"! :cool:

Seriously, the two towns are about 15-minutes apart.

Gary Voth

svanarts said:
Hi Gary,

I am 7 miles from Alvarado... Give me a call 817/556-0607

Hi,

I'm Jim Graham. I built and fly RV-4 N911WP, SN 1911. I've been flying it since June 2000. I have only 290 tach hours so far. I keep taking it down to do mods. First a new engine mount so I could have the longer gear legs and now putting on a sliding canopy.

I injected an O-360-A1D that was built-up from parts for someone else's plane. I added LASAR mags and a Christen inverted system. The prop is a Sensenich metal with an 83 inch pitch which seems to be be a touch more climb than cruise and I like it for acro and no leading edge erosion in the rain.

Just a comment about the vibration problem Sensenich metal props seem to have for the O-320 series; if my experience is any guide, they have fixed it with the prop they sell for the O-360's.

I live on Mogollon (pronounced mug-ee-yon) Airpark (AZ82) in Overgaard, AZ. The field elevation is 6658 msl and it's carved out of the Ponderosa Pines about 90 nm northeast of Phoenix.

The LASAR mags really do make a difference at the density altitudes we see up here. Unison says the computer map for the spark advance really kicks in above 6000 feet density altitude. I've tried takeoffs with the LASAR CB pulled and then engaged it about the time the tail gets light and you can feel a difference. Nothing like burner in a Viper, Smokey, but neat anyway.

Next project - a solid state AHRS so I can shoot approaches without wondering if mechanical gyros have been beat up too much. I hope to have it painted before LOE 2005 and see many of you there.

Grahambo

Gary Voth said:
I am 7 miles from Alvarado... Give me a call 817/556-0607

Gary,
I got your number! I'll give you a call when it gets closer to OSH time and my plans firm up. Could use some pointers on places to stay in the are and maybe were I could hanger my plane for a night or two.

Sliding Canopy

Jim Graham, I read your introduction post and I am very interested to know more about your sliding canopy installation on your 4. Since I have had mine, I have thought the only thing that would make it perfect for me is a sliding canopy. I'd love to see some photo's. My [email protected]

I'll introduce myself as well. I'm very slow 4 builder...took 11 years. First flight was in 1997. I live in Fredericton NB in eastern Canada. Being in the frozen north, we don't fly in the winter. The field where I keep C-FYTQ is not maintained in the winter and once it snows, flying is over.

Introduction

Hi all,

John Walsh here. Loooong time RV4 slow builder. I just bought an RV4 to put a quick end to my RVless existence.
I'm going to continue my own project but now can fly in the meantime. I'm based at KASH, Nashua, New Hampshire.

Joe Hine, We vacation every summer at PEI. I have always wanted to make a trip around that island in an RV at 500'. Maybe this is the year I get to do it !!!

Later

John

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

I?m Gary Slutz in NE Ohio. I did the quick purchase on my RV-4. a little over a year ago. It is equipped with:

Sliding canopy
0-360 @ 220 HP W/ Ellison TB
74? blended airfoil W/ short gear
Inverted fuel & oil
V.G.?s
50 gallon fuel
Dynon
AP

Have put over 150 more hours on it now and also have done many mods after purchase. Having owned 20+ A/C, many different types I believe the RV series is the most bang for the $$$ you can get. It isn?t a show winner, just fun. Need more speed!

introductions

Good Morning,
To introduce myself: My name is John Mason, 68 years old, Protestant, and conservative. I soloed in 1964 and after 27 yrs of not flying I bought a Dragonfly in 1995 and began the best part of my life(that is flying again). I have been in farming and lived in Orange Cove California my entire life. A small town 20 miles north of Visalia (KVIS) and 40 miles SE of Fresno.
Last april, EAA chapter #376 in Fresno was gifted a partially completed RV-4 from a terminally ill member and was auctioned to it's members and I was the lucky winner. I paid a fair price which was good for the donner, the club, and for me.
I started the fusalage in July. The vertical and horizontal are fit and installed and now the canopy frame is ready for the canopy. The -4 has a Rocket aft top skin. Man, that was a project for a new builder that had to have a learning curve that went straight up but I've have had very good help and advise from local builders which has proved to be a God send. It loks great. I traded the Dragonfly for 200 hr. Ly-con built O-320 with a CS prop, 2 lightspeed igns., and 10.5 pistons. She will be a day VFR and I hope to be very light, very beautiful, very masculine, and very fast.
That's pretty much all there is to say.

John

Hi all,

After years of thinking about it, I finally went out and got my private pilot license. Training was fun and the stalls, lazy 8's, and spins in training confirmed my belief that I'd enjoy aerobatics. So last week, after a couple months of converting the garage into a shop, I ordered a '4' tail kit. :D

I look forward to the building process and hope my limited metalworking experience will translate into a enjoyable project for the next few years.
As I get closer to completion, my plan is to get my tailwheel endorsement (duh!) and take ten hours or so of aerobatic lessons to make the transition more seamless.

Derek
Cordova, TN

Folks, I apologize for not being more 'forthcoming' (learned that gem during the last presidential election), but I have worked security for a bit and dropping a lot of personal details on a forum which is easily available to everyone with a 'puter just goes 'against the grain' so to speak.
That said, here's what I feel comfortable sharing:
RV-4 QB (Quick-Buy, I was busy for many years running my business)
450 hrs acft & O-360 FB wood Sensenich
Live in NE NYS and have relatives all over this grand country.
My other interests include firearms and outdoor activities of all sorts.
I have never flown anything as responsive and as efficient as the RV- it is an absolute joy!
Cruising these posts and those of Matronics Yahoo, I have learned valuable details in all parameters of RV ownership/maintenance and I am grateful. I love this place!

introductions...

Hi.....my name todd russell...I am a proud owner of a 4....I think I have one of the first edition 4's sn 48_....my tail is done and am now in the process of finishing up my wings,,,,fuse is next..I think I am going to also do the harmon rear deck and canopy because of the little more sporty look to me...I read all of your stories of flights and it fires my soul to get this plane done...believe it or not I still have to get a license...talk about faith...I am building even before I can fly...my partner has a pilots cert so it won't be so bad...I am a man who takes advice very well and listens to those more in the wise than I am...that said...I hope you will all welcome my questions and direct me in the ways of the rv..thx,todd :cool:

Intro

Hello all!

My name is Mike Ayling and I live in Cold Lake, Alberta, Canada. I bought RV-4 C-GJIP in 1999 from Ian Patrick out on the East Coast. I had to jettison some baggage to buy it (in the form of a fiancee) - far and away the smartest move I ever made! Thankfully, Ian did a superb job with a lot of attention to detail, which kept the learning curve shallow for me during the first couple of years. I've flown it Coast to Coast several times and find it to be a superb cross country machine. On Sept 13th, 2001 I flew it from the West Coast to Eastern Quebec (almost the East Coast) in two days and 12hrs flying time to rejoin my fighter squadron during that terrible time. The silence on 126.7 (VFR enroute in Canada) was eerie...

Like Smoky, I fly fighters (CF-18s) in the Air Force in my spare time. I've flown formation with several jets - T-33, Tutor, Hawk but never the Hornet...I'll have to arrange that sometime...

Here are the specs:
0-320 160HP
Wood (Warnke) Prop
All electric panel, although day/night VFR (IFR cert is phenomenally expensive in Canada).
Apollo GX 60

Things I like about the -4:
Performance - it can't be beat for all-around performance! Every time I think about upgrading to a metal or composite prop, or even constant speed, I have to take a deep breath and touch my wallet...Light, simple and inexpensive are adjectives at the heart of the breed so I don't feel too bad when I see some suped up -4s out there. But for those with the money, good on ya!!

Things I don't like:
A higher gross weight would be nice. Although, the 120lb (with full tanks) max rear seat weight keeps my girlfriends sporty! ("OK, here's the deal. My job is to fly, your's is to give neck massages.") Every girlfriend I've had complains about the tandem seating (although, I've had many compliments on the back of my head :p ) but you just can't beat that wrap-around feel of the cockpit. It gives me ammo in my argument to build the -10...

This forum has been a treasure trove of information, especially when I was new to the breed and I look forward to sharing info with all of you!

Mike

RV-4 Slider

Joe Hine said:
Jim Graham, I read your introduction post and I am very interested to know more about your sliding canopy installation on your 4. Since I have had mine, I have thought the only thing that would make it perfect for me is a sliding canopy. I'd love to see some photo's. My [email protected]

I'll introduce myself as well. I'm very slow 4 builder...took 11 years. First flight was in 1997. I live in Fredericton NB in eastern Canada. Being in the frozen north, we don't fly in the winter. The field where I keep C-FYTQ is not maintained in the winter and once it snows, flying is over.

Hi Joe,

I'll e-mail some photos in the next few weeks. The basic design was done by John Haehn (sp?) a number of years ago and he sells plans. He has some good ideas. I don't have his latest phone #, but Van's might be able to get it for you.

Since my building skills are basic and this is a completely custom project, I enlisted the help of a guy who used to build RV's for folks. It came out a little too rough for my taste, but I flew it a year while doing some research and planning some fixes.

However, it didn't take long to realize it would take more than just some "fixes". Without the ability to shape and weld aluminum, I finally bit the bullet and farmed it out to a warbird restoration outfit with a wizard sheetmetal guy. I like how it's turning out and expect to test fly it on the 21st.

I have come across three other "from scratch" RV-4 sliders in the last few years and if I can come up with their names I'll get them to you. Each had a different take on the design and they all looked great and worked well. They were all much better craftsmen than I, also.

John's design uses a dorsal fin to provide a track for the rear sliding block and some angles attached to the upper fuselage longerons for two other sliding blocks. Recently, I saw an RV-4 using some RV-8 components which eliminated the need for the dorsal fin.

I'm not sure about the others, but I flew with mine cracked open only in the pattern at 80 kts or less (faster means too much air pressure pushing up under the rear of the skirt as the fuselage tapers). Here in Arizona that provided some much needed airflow after descending into furnace-like summer air temps. And, of course, taxiing with it open helps a lot, also.

As they say, every deviation from the plans means about 10 times the work and that is definitely true in this case. I'm beginning to think an RV-8 QB would have been a better use of my time and money.

Jim Graham
[email protected]

grahambo said:
Hi,

First a new engine mount so I could have the longer gear legs and now putting on a sliding canopy.

Grahambo

I'm really interested in your sliding canopy mod...where are you getting the plans, parts etc. I'd be very interested in seeing some photos. This is the one mod I would like to do to my 4.

Joe

John_RV4 said:
Hi all,

John Walsh here. Loooong time RV4 slow builder. I just bought an RV4 to put a quick end to my RVless existence.
I'm going to continue my own project but now can fly in the meantime. I'm based at KASH, Nashua, New Hampshire.

Joe Hine, We vacation every summer at PEI. I have always wanted to make a trip around that island in an RV at 500'. Maybe this is the year I get to do it !!!

Later

John

John

Sorry to be so long replying. Didn't check the thread for a while. We fly to PEI all the time. Summerside has a resturant that is walking distance and if you want to leave the AC there, you can get a rental car delivered. Charlotte town is good as well. Give me a shout if you are heading this way this summer. 506-461-2969 is my cell #. I can give you some other good stops as well.

Joe

grahambo said:
Hi Joe,

I'll e-mail some photos in the next few weeks. The basic design was done by John Haehn (sp?) a number of years ago and he sells plans. He has some good ideas. I don't have his latest phone #, but Van's might be able to get it for you.

Since my building skills are basic and this is a completely custom project, I enlisted the help of a guy who used to build RV's for folks. It came out a little too rough for my taste, but I flew it a year while doing some research and planning some fixes.

However, it didn't take long to realize it would take more than just some "fixes". Without the ability to shape and weld aluminum, I finally bit the bullet and farmed it out to a warbird restoration outfit with a wizard sheetmetal guy. I like how it's turning out and expect to test fly it on the 21st.

I have come across three other "from scratch" RV-4 sliders in the last few years and if I can come up with their names I'll get them to you. Each had a different take on the design and they all looked great and worked well. They were all much better craftsmen than I, also.

John's design uses a dorsal fin to provide a track for the rear sliding block and some angles attached to the upper fuselage longerons for two other sliding blocks. Recently, I saw an RV-4 using some RV-8 components which eliminated the need for the dorsal fin.

I'm not sure about the others, but I flew with mine cracked open only in the pattern at 80 kts or less (faster means too much air pressure pushing up under the rear of the skirt as the fuselage tapers). Here in Arizona that provided some much needed airflow after descending into furnace-like summer air temps. And, of course, taxiing with it open helps a lot, also.

As they say, every deviation from the plans means about 10 times the work and that is definitely true in this case. I'm beginning to think an RV-8 QB would have been a better use of my time and money.

Jim Graham
[email protected]

Jim, My apologies...didn't scroll down far enough disregard my last post and thank you for replying...I'm looking forward to seeing some photo's

Joe

Tsquare

My name is Terry Small and I have taken (at Uncle Sam's request) a year off from building my RV-7 to fly Apache helicopters in Afghanistan. I'll be home soon and am anxious to get back to building. So far I have the wings, empanage and fuselage complete. During my 11 months in Kandahar I have pretty much planned my panel and will be looking for an engine and prop combo when I get home. It's been nice reading all of you RV'ers comments on the Forum.

Terry Small
Ogden, UT

Hellow all, Bill Markey, aircraft engineer, building a -4, tail "almost" finished, wing kit sitting in shed waiting for cooler weather and more time. Should be able to do some more now that the house renovations are done. Baby number 3 in June will slow things down no doubt.
Just interested, that photo of Rob Ray early on in this post, I always thought that pilots painted their "kills" on the side. If Rob shot down one of Santa's Reindeer, My kids are going to have a real bone to pick with him.
Cheers,
Bill.

Tsquare said:
My name is Terry Small and I have taken (at Uncle Sam's request) a year off from building my RV-7 to fly Apache helicopters in Afghanistan. I'll be home soon and am anxious to get back to building. So far I have the wings, empanage and fuselage complete. During my 11 months in Kandahar I have pretty much planned my panel and will be looking for an engine and prop combo when I get home. It's been nice reading all of you RV'ers comments on the Forum.

Terry Small
Ogden, UT

Thank you for your service Terry, and come back safe.

Hello Fellow-4ers

My Name is Joe and I have a -4 built in 1992 by Ken Fowler. It has about 850 total hours on the airframe and i-o 360 engine. I am always looking to learn more and appreciate the forums (this and others) and would welcome invites to fly-ins and less formal get-togethers.

Happy Flying,
Joe
N74JL
Aurora, MO
2H2

get togeter

Joe if you want a cool place to go, try Ponca City Okla. the 1st sat of every month they have a $5.00 breakfast that'll knock your sox off. lots of airplanes and especially RV's last sat there was approximately 100 airplanes and about 35 RV's there. They come from Colo, Tex, Ks Ar Neb and of course Ok. its a real nice meeting. I'll bet you's enjoy it. Jerry d RV-8

Brand New

I'm Jeff Davis, just joined the forum today. I swore I'd never fly again when I sold my last airplane, but there's always been a little part of me that wanted an RV-4. I've never been in one, but I flew a 3 once (for all of 10 minutes) and LOVED it. I have some very basic questions that maybe some of you could help me with. How much luggage room is there? Is it suitable as a primary trainer? Yes, I realize it's a fast airplane, and a taildragger, but the 3 that I flew was very easy to fly and land, once I managed to get it slowed down. I'd love to hear from some of you who would be willing to share your knowledge and experiance.

Rv-4

Jeff,

I would not think it would be a problem as a primary trainer. The -4 is quite easy to fly & land. I put my son in an Eagle @ 13 years of age. This was after he started @ 12.5 years of age in a Swift. Some people shouldn?t fly anything. I don?t golf either! If you are working with a few it is ok, but there are those who don?t do well that I wouldn?t recommend. As an EXP.A/C you couldn?t charge for instruction. The baggage is area is fine.

Gary

Hi Jeff,
You could get a couple of duffle bags in the luggage compartment of an RV-4 but not too much else. When I really need to haul stuff I take out the rear seat back. Kind of leave the passengers out in the cold though. Literally.

An RV-4 would make a pretty good primary trainer but you might have trouble finding a CFI who would go for it. Not impossible just difficult. Plus there's the whole dual controls thing. I'd say see if you can find a Citabria for rent somewhere and get your training in that. A Citabria or Decathlon is a great trainer for the RV. Once you get the landings nailed in one of those the RV will be no problem. Except as you say for slowing it down.

New RV-4

My name is Philip Mercier. After spending the last 2.5 years helping my brother with his RV-7A I finally broke down and purchased an RV-4 partially completed. Looking forward to flying together around the British Columbia rockies.

Way to go Phillip! Plus since he's your brother be sure to tease him about having the training wheel in the front of the plane. Since you're flying what is almost the sexiest tailwheel airplane ever built, you get to swagger. Okay, he built his plane, he gets to swagger occasionally. :D

I'm Dayton Murdock; I have been involved in aviation all of my life from model airplanes to earning my pilot license in 1990. My Wife of 21 years my Daughter and Son are the best things in my life. I started my business in 2001 building throttle quadrants to fund my project. I picked up my RV4 kit Dec, 4 1999. I started the Tail group in Feb 2000 and finish it a year later. The wings were finished Oct 2003 and I started the fuselage Dec of 2003. Currently I?m working on the Canopy. Also I have finish the wiring, painted the interior installed the fuel selector valve and throttle quadrants the landing gear and the rear firings. I will move the fuselage to my hanger next month to fit the wings and start FWF. Hopefully I will finish this summer.

Dayton Murdock
RV4
N359DM
Carson City, NV

Glad to meet ya!

Hello,

My name is Ron. I live in the SF Bay area and am moving soon to No. San Diego County. Been working on my RV-4 since 12/2003

Like those on this particular list, I believe the -4 to be Van's best design. That is all except for the tilt-up canopy. To that end, my building partner and I have set about doing a new kit (#4446) with a slider. We're working on the canopy now. :cool:

In my opinion the RV-4 is WAY too hard to build in it's current configuration (a bunch of aluminum and some drawings that are often contradictory). :confused:
I too have inquired as to why Van's won't consider reverse engineering those incredibly confusing 25+ year old RV-4 plans to 'accomodate the market that would opt to purchase a QB-4 over the -8'? Answer is the -8 is a replacement for the -4 (and a better airplane overall for the mission) so there are few actual customers. In short, Van's doesn't feel there would be much real demand for a QB -4, and the cost to turn it into a QB is, as I understand it, prohibitive.

His plane, not mine, so even if I had ton's of $$$ to try turning out QB-4's.... not my plane to start with. The whole design just can't be re-done. :(

But what about just a new, sleek, -8 style design for a Sliding RV-4 Canopy??? :D I wonder if there is any real interest, or is it just me?
(see my post under "Sliding Canopy")

Anyway.....Howdy! Glad to be a part of the group!
Ron
N8ZD (reserved)
[email protected]

Back