What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Yellow Indication on pMag

BruceMe

Well Known Member
I recently installed a used P114-L4 eMag into my recently purchased RV3 which had a weak left slick. This is my third eMag install and it went as smoothly as the others. I even test flew it once yesterday and it checked out fine.

I dropped into the plane today to take it back up again and on the run-up, the left mag (emag) is completely dead. I took it back to the hangar, de-cowled and started poking around and flipping switches. Well, the indicator light is blinking yellow. Manual says that's a...

"sensor magnet position infraction"

I tried turning it off and on a few times... and wouldn't you know, it started showing steady red (which is good). Ok, but not every time, some times blinky yellow, some times red. So I started it up and steady red was good. I cowled it back up and (long) taxied out to the runway again... Runup worked great this time... woohoo! Took the runway... quick last minute check. FAILED again :( taxi of shame for the second time that day.

This VAF thread was a good read and it appears to be an internal problem, shaft position or sensor issue. I'm going to buy a new one and swap it out.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=101258

I guess I'm wondering how common this is? Has anyone else seen this? And what should I do with the emag? I had a long taxi, did I cook the emag? Will the next one have the same problem?

Been there, done that.

I recently installed a used P114-L4 eMag into my recently purchased RV3 which had a weak left slick. This is my third eMag install and it went as smoothly as the others. I even test flew it once yesterday and it checked out fine.

I dropped into the plane today to take it back up again and on the run-up, the left mag (emag) is completely dead. I took it back to the hangar, de-cowled and started poking around and flipping switches. Well, the indicator light is blinking yellow. Manual says that's a...

"sensor magnet position infraction"

I tried turning it off and on a few times... and wouldn't you know, it started showing steady red (which is good). Ok, but not every time, some times blinky yellow, some times red. So I started it up and steady red was good. I cowled it back up and (long) taxied out to the runway again... Runup worked great this time... woohoo! Took the runway... quick last minute check. FAILED again :( taxi of shame for the second time that day.

This VAF thread was a good read and it appears to be an internal problem, shaft position or sensor issue. I'm going to buy a new one and swap it out.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=101258

I guess I'm wondering how common this is? Has anyone else seen this? And what should I do with the emag? I had a long taxi, did I cook the emag? Will the next one have the same problem?

When we pulled the engine on our RV-7 a few months ago, we sent both pMags back to eMag Air for the flat rate checkup. There was nothing wrong with them - this was merely preemptive for our rebuilt engine.

When the engine was on the test stand, I noticed an intermittent flashing yellow LED on one of the two pMags. Didn't think anything about it at the time, but in retrospect, I should have investigated further.

On the second flight with the rebuilt engine (and the engine was warm), the left pMag was dead. Yellow LED was on. Brad said this meant that the pMag failed the "range check" which apparently it checks during boot-up. If the check fails, the pMag is disabled.

I went back to the airport the next morning to check the pMag and with a cold engine, it was fine. Engine started and mags checked normally. I flew it back home. Once back, I started it again (hot engine) - left pMag was once again disabled with yellow LED on.

Sent the pMag back again and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I bought a new pMag to replace the left pMag and the airplane has been fine ever since. I have been less than impressed with the reliability of the pMags. Yes, we have properly installed blast tubes on both pMags. I have an EI Commander and highly recommend it to anyone with dual pMags.

Back