What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Space Requirements for RV-12 Tail Kit

rfchisholm

:rolleyes: My initial empennage kit has been ordered, and will arrive soon. I'm preparing my garage to receive the shipment and begin assembly. Can anyone tell me the size and weight of the crate(s) that will arrive? How about the storage of the parts, is there a recommended way to store the components that won't be used until the later pages of the assembly instructions?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know the exact size of the 12, but my 9 came in two boxes about 4'x6'x6". Once it's together, that's a completely different story. The HS on the 9 is about 10' in length and about 2' wide. Kinda hard to believe it fit in such a small box.

What many people do for storage is hang them from the ceiling when completed. It makes for darn nice wall art. What I did for general storage is create platforms over my garage doors when they are up. I have the luxury of an 11' ceiling in my garage, so after the thickness of the platforms (2x4 + plywood) I end up with about 2'-4" of space. Most of the things I need to store are actually pretty thin, so it works out just fine. I have 2 shelves of 8'x8'. Plenty of space so far.

Wings and fuselage ... well that's a different story.

Welcome To VAF

Ron, Send an e-mail to Anne at Van's. She would have all the shipping crate size & weight info.

[email protected]

Write in the memo: Attention of Anne. She will get it and return the e-mail with her own e-mail address for future questions. Anne & Barb (and all the gals at Vans) are the best! Don't tell them that, it goes to their heads. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks

Thank you for the feedback.
I did get information from Van's via email. I obviously didn't dig deep enough to locate the crate list.

Thanks again!

Back