What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drip Pan Failed

RFSchaller

Well Known Member
Today I was doing a routine engine inspection after flying 5 hours since my annual. My left drip pan for the carburetor had failed due to fatigue failure. The crack was at the 90 degree bend at the forward end of the horizontal pan. Total time in service 1174 hours since March 2012 when I did first flight. Thought I would pass on the info so others can check theirs. Replacement parts on order - it’s too hot in PHX to fabricate one from scratch!

Rich

I also found drip pan cracks during my condition inspection last year. The new drip pans are much more robust than the original design. My airplane has been flying for 12 years, around 670 hours.

Good reminder. I frankly don't look too closely at the drip pans since they are non-structural and didn't assume were under any real stress. Clearly vibration is unforgiving. Will certainly take a much closer look this week. thanks.

Checked, no cracks.

I'm not sure what design changes were made to the pan over time. Mine is very beefy, it is a 2013 kit.

tray.JPG

Last edited:
The drip tray design was changed to include the curved stiffeners shown in the previous post sometime between Rev 1 (11/08/10) and Rev 3 (01/07/14) of the plans. I can't find an SB about it, but I seem to recall there were some reported cracks in the original design. I remember upgrading my drip trays around that time. Both Rich and Mike have older aircraft, and so may still have the original drip trays.

Yes, I had the original drip trays, without the curved doubler. I did not see the cracks until I removed the carburetors for rebuilding.

The replacement parts were a bit pricey at$30+ so I’ll probably rivet a doubler on to the other drip pan (as a preventive measure) at the next annual and save a bit.

Back