What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control Approach pedal links

Weefle

Well Known Member
I’m trying to figure out if the links that Vans specs for the factory pedals to rudder cables will also work for the Control Approach pedals. If you have gone down this road and can help me out I’d appreciate it.
Photo attached is from the Vans plans and stock pedals. I deleted the vans pedals so did the raw 4130 come in the kit?

Thanks

Keith

Attachments

• 065B34CE-35DA-428B-9A33-DD812B3AC8C5.png
    065B34CE-35DA-428B-9A33-DD812B3AC8C5.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 52
From memory mine ended up being quite a bit longer. Around 3-4” or so. I think I had to fabricate from new stock. It really depends on how far forward you have your pedals. I’m one hole back from the forward most hole in the longerons.
You can’t really make them until you have your fin/rudder on and sit in the seat to make sure you’re comfortable. So unless you’re well progressed I wouldn’t worry too much about it for now.
Also make sure you have plenty of clearance for the arms in the tunnel lid.
I’ve heard that it’s a PITA to fin the arms hitting before the rudder stops. :eek:

Control Approach Rudder Pedals

I've installed the Control Approach Rudder Pedals up to the point of connecting the rudder cables. I deleted the Van's Rudder Pedals from my kit and yes the 1/2 inch wide, .050 thick 4130 steel strip came with the kit. I'd have to look to see what bag it was in. I'm going to use some scrap aluminum to use as a template for the steel strip link final size. Going to install one of the front seats today to help position and set the rudder pedal position. Right now they are in the mid location but I may adjust them prior to the final connection.

I've installed the Control Approach Rudder Pedals up to the point of connecting the rudder cables. I deleted the Van's Rudder Pedals from my kit and yes the 1/2 inch wide, .050 thick 4130 steel strip came with the kit. I'd have to look to see what bag it was in. I'm going to use some scrap aluminum to use as a template for the steel strip link final size. Going to install one of the front seats today to help position and set the rudder pedal position. Right now they are in the mid location but I may adjust them prior to the final connection.

I went through the same problems and surveyed a few people that have them. Many deleted the links all together. They said wait until I hook up the rudder and let the determine. My problem was the new pedals have two arms per pedal and I didn’t want to cut on off.

Back