What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stein Air and Garmin

SeanB

Well Known Member
I've been having a bunch of difficulty getting my Garmin G3X EIS (GEA24) to cooperate. Two issues: Engine Interface Configuration Error and the Fuel Calibration Page went inactive on the right side (could not set datapoints and make graph).

Tim at Stein spent a bunch of time with me trying to solve this issue. He was incredibly patient and helpful. Solved part of the problem with Tim's help. Thanks, Tim! I always get great support at Stein Air!

Katie at Garmin eventually started helping me after I initially spoke with Michael. Katie is so knowledgeable of this system! Also, so friendly and genuine throughout the process.

After a wiring fix with the floats, the other problems persisted. There were thoughts of the latest software update (V 9.01) possibly causing this. Nope.

Katie came back with the answer. She had me check the RPM1 setting for my dual PMags. I had this set to "Magneto - P Lead (2.000 pulses/rev.)" Turns out...not correct for a PMag. Per Katie's suggestion, I changed to Electronic Ignition (2.000 pulses/rev.) The ERROR message went away!!!:) AND...the fuel calibration page was once more operable! Yeehaw! Great job, Katie!

I would also like to thank my friend, John Armstrong (9A), for his help and tenacity trying to get this thing resolved. He's always there if I need anything!

Spent the next day calibrating the left tank in taxi and flight attitudes. BTW...the wing and a wet erase marker are a great place to show your work.

Time to go home, so I aimed my truck toward Pike's Peak and drove off into the sunset.

Attachments

• Bad fuel.jpg
    Bad fuel.jpg
    561.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Engine Config Error.jpg
    Engine Config Error.jpg
    743.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Good Fuel.jpg
    Good Fuel.jpg
    589.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Fuel Cal.jpg
    Fuel Cal.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 85
  • sunset.jpg
    sunset.jpg
    520.9 KB · Views: 93
...Katie came back with the answer. She had me check the RPM1 setting for my dual PMags. I had this set to "Magneto - P Lead (2.000 pulses/rev.)" Turns out...not correct for a PMag. Per Katie's suggestion, I changed to Electronic Ignition (2.000 pulses/rev.) The ERROR message went away!!!:) AND...the fuel calibration page was once more operable! Yeehaw! Great job, Katie!...
Do you know if 2.000 pulses/rev is the proper setting for both 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder dual P-Mag installations?

Back