What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiberglass mold fab method

Freemasm

Well Known Member
Disclaimer = First attempt at glassing anything. I'm not good at it. That will be obvious from the pix.

A cheap and easy method for fiberglass forms follows. Sorry if a similar method was previously posted; didn't see anything similar.

I had to make some ducting transition pieces to clear aileron control tubes. I followed the lead from Mr. Hudec. The internal area never decreases below the area of the associated 2" ducts. Cockpit cooling flow is a big deal in FL.

Nothing inventive on my part but if could save someone time/money. I built forms from floral arrangement foam (green inexpensive stuff from Hobby Lobby). Easily hot glues together for larger forms, cuts with almost anything. Sands/smooths with little effort, Best of all. It's so grainy that it separates from the glass with just some moderate scrubbing with a wire brush. No release agent. I may try finishing these test pieces into the final product.

Good luck. Hopefully this helps someone.

Attachments

• Duct1.jpg
    Duct1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 197
  • duct4.jpg
    duct4.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 210
  • duct2.jpg
    duct2.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 190
Back