What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NE US Coastal trip

RV8Squaz

Well Known Member
Hello all.

I'm planning a trip up the NE US coast next month for about 11 or 12 days. We will be departing from Atlanta. Our current plan is Ocean City NJ (26N), Cape Cod Gateway (HYA), and Bar Harbor ME (BHB). Of course I will fly up the Hudson River on the the way to Cape Cod! On the way back, we are planning on stopping in Tangier Island (TGI) for a few hours and then probably spend the night at Kitty Hawk, First Flight Airport (FFA) before heading back.

So far, we have our accommodations in BHB and we have the reservations for the Cadillac Summit Road in Acadia NP. But that's a s far as I've gotten. I'm looking for recommendations suggestions for anything including:

Fuel stops
Lodging
Restaurants
Things to do
Day trips

I've heard Cape Cod Airfield and Chatham Muni are nice airports. I'm planning on staging out of HYA unless you suggest otherwise. We are planning on a day trip to Martha's Vineyard Katama Airfield (1B2) and walking to the beach, but I don't know how I would get around to see the rest of the island. I'm also planning a day trip to Provincetown (PVC) and going to The Lobster Pot for lunch. My goal is to have crab or lobster every day!

Thank you for your help!

Jerry

Jerry,

The Vineyard transit system can take you to most of the island, and there's a stop at Katama - https://www.vineyardtransit.com/sites/g/files/vyhlif5126/f/uploads/in-season_2021_map.pdf

Hard to tell what gas prices will be in June, but some places that usually have decent prices are -

- 6B6 (Minute Man, Stow MA)
- CON (Concord NH)
- 8B1 (Hawthorne-Feather, Antrim NH)
- AFN (Jaffrey NH)
- LCI (Laconia NH)

Runway conditions at 8B1 and AFN are a bit rough. LCI is in the NH Lakes Region, lots of beautiful scenery.

Lots of good airport diners/restaurants in eastern MA/NH/ME -

- PYM (Plymouth MA)
- ASH (Nashua NH)
- SFM (Sanford ME)
- 63B (Limington ME)
- 6B6 has a great takeout restaurant with outdoor seating that's open on the weekends.
- The Katama restaurant just changed hands, don't know when it's reopening.
- 7B3 (Hampton NH) has a great restaurant and is a nice little airport to boot...gas prices aren't quite as cheap there, but it's a great place to stop and is on the way from the Cape to Maine if you go east of the BOS Class B.

If you plan to stop at ASH, let me know...that's my home 'drome and maybe we can meet for lunch!

HTH

Dave

I don't think first flight allows overnight parking. I would check. No fuel and parking is limited. Less than a mile walk to food. But an absolute must stop.

Ocean City NJ is a good spot. Close to the boardwalk. If OC NJ doesn't work out for some reason, Ocean City, MD would be a reasonable alternate, quick uber to the beach.

WWD and MIV have food on the field.

Consider Bay Bridge W29. Close to Annapolis, walking distance to good food.

W29 Bay Bridge Airport on Maryland Eastern Shore

Here is a suggestion that will be hard to pass up: Make a reservation at the Inn at Chesapeake Bay (google it) and land at W29. Just 50 ft outside the airport gate to eat Maryland crabs outdoors served on a picnic table, walk 1/3 mile to stay at the hotel. I will even loan you a free spare car & and you can visit Historic Annapolis MD and/or US Naval Academy. Drive five miles east and enjoy infamous Red Eye's Dock Bar, The Jetty, or Fishermen's Inn & Crab Deck. Maryland Seafood & Waterfront dining EVERYWHERE! Heck, if you are here on the weekend and the weather right you can join me for a full day boating trip to Historic St Michaels MD: The little town that fooled the British!! (Sorry I will be out of town 6/10 thru 6/16. but the car is still available) Tie Downs $10 night last i looked, the Hotels around here are pricey (resort area) but the food & beverages are reasonable and everything else I mentioned is FREE. "Land of Pleasant Living" Best contact is email: esealing at gmail .com Would enjoy meeting you! (Or anyone else on this Forum) Ed S. :cool:

block island

KBID has it all for aviators traveling thru. sea food, beaches, history via taxi tour, shopping, easy to get around. perfect lunch stop.
IMG-1215.jpg

Hi Jerry, BHB is my home airport, so feel free to shoot me a message or give me a call (Maine area code) 576-9378 if you have questions or run into any trouble while you're up here.

-Jason

Additional thoughts

Tangier and First Flight are both interesting stops.

Ocracoke (W95) is also a good Outer Banks destination, and has food within walking distance of the airport. Very scenic.

Williamsburg (KJGG) has a great little airport restaurant on the field.

Chatham on Cape Cod (KCQX) has Hangar B Eatery on the field, quite good.

Good idea to visit KPVC, on a beautiful day the scenery is unreal.

Have fun! Stop in and see us at W96!! :)

Hello all.

I'm planning a trip up the NE US coast next month for about 11 or 12 days. We will be departing from Atlanta. Our current plan is Ocean City NJ (26N), Cape Cod Gateway (HYA), and Bar Harbor ME (BHB). Of course I will fly up the Hudson River on the the way to Cape Cod! On the way back, we are planning on stopping in Tangier Island (TGI) for a few hours and then probably spend the night at Kitty Hawk, First Flight Airport (FFA) before heading back.

So far, we have our accommodations in BHB and we have the reservations for the Cadillac Summit Road in Acadia NP. But that's a s far as I've gotten. I'm looking for recommendations suggestions for anything including:

Fuel stops
Lodging
Restaurants
Things to do
Day trips

I've heard Cape Cod Airfield and Chatham Muni are nice airports. I'm planning on staging out of HYA unless you suggest otherwise. We are planning on a day trip to Martha's Vineyard Katama Airfield (1B2) and walking to the beach, but I don't know how I would get around to see the rest of the island. I'm also planning a day trip to Provincetown (PVC) and going to The Lobster Pot for lunch. My goal is to have crab or lobster every day!

Thank you for your help!

Jerry

If you plan to stop for food at Tangier Island, be aware the restaurants close between about 2-5. Tangier is known for soft shell crabs, but the seafood is all good. There is a $10 landing fee, but we have never been asked to pay it. Just be aware of Patuxent NAS Restricted - there's a 3500 foot shelf to get in from the east, but do not go west of the field as the Restricted goes to the surface. It's a bet you'll get cleared through Patuxent on the weekends, not so much during the week.

Tangier Island is a strange place - there are graves in peoples yards. And - oh yea - the whole island is sinking. It's worth a stop, but to be honest - there isn't much to do other than eat.

Tangier

Very true. Other Tangier observations:

1. If you go during the winter (i.e. not during tourist season) you will stick out like a sore thumb. The islanders know each other.

2. There are approximately 3,750,000 cats on the island.

3. If you're like me and have bad hearing, it's easy to get run down from behind, because the locals drive electric golf carts.

4. It's where the British forces gathered before attacking Ft. McHenry (of "The Star Spangled Banner" fame).

5. The new runway is a major improvement; the old one went over a drainage pipe and there was a pronounced roller-coaster effect.

6. I landed there once and there was literally a bowl sitting out for collecting the landing fee ($5 at that time I think). I paid it just for the novelty.

7. Do NOT try to access the beach from the runway.

Tangier Island is a strange place - there are graves in peoples yards. And - oh yea - the whole island is sinking. It's worth a stop, but to be honest - there isn't much to do other than eat.

NE trip stops

Perhaps too close to the Cape to count as a "leg", but a recommendation would be Newport, RI (KUUU). A stroll along the Cliff Walk, tour 1 (or max 2) of the Gilded Age Mansions (suggest The Breakers if you're going pick one), lunch at any of several nice restaurants in town (check potential Covid restrictions, of course), watch a few sailboats, and you've filled a very nice day. Narragansett Bay is beautiful.

Nice route once you complete your Hudson River fly-by--just follow the northern shore of L.I. Sound. Scenic, and lots of airports along the way, should you need one.

5B6

Hey Jerry,
Wish I could offer you a place to stay at my new home at the Falmouth Airpark (5B6) but it won’t be ready till sometime in July, probably late in the month.

But, I am spending much of my time on the Cape monitoring the build. Let’s get together for beer or dinner.

Scott A Jordan

Hello all.

Fuel stops
Lodging
Restaurants
Things to do
Day trips

Thank you for your help!

Jerry

A few more.

Block Island (BID) is nice. You need to use local taxi's. Last I was there, they had put the kibash on uber. Still a nice visit.

Chatham (CQX) has a nice restaurant and then take a flight up the national shore line to the end of the cape.

I like Owls Head (RKD). Very cool and well done transportation museum on the field. Courtesy car available. The best lobster roll in the world at the "Keag Store" a short distance from the airport.

If you are in to history, land at BVY and grab a cab over to the Peabody Museum/Essex Institute in Salem, MA. It is a world class museum complex that is full of artifacts from the 4 corners of the globe. The sea captains out of Salem pledged a certain percentage of their cargo from each voyage they made during the 1700’s. It is fascinating stuff. Also, the Spirit of ‘76 original is in Marblehead, a neighboring town where the first Marine parachute jump took place. Marblehead and Beverly both claim to be the Birthplace of the US Navy. Nathaniel Bowditch, who wrote the guide on celestial navigation was from Salem which explains their dominance in shipping since being able to navigate great circle directly to your destination gave you a huge advantage in shipping.

Wow!!! Thank you everyone for your very informative replies and super kind offers. This thread is a treasure trove of information that will prove to be tremendously valuable. Thank you all!!! Looking forward to the trip.

I don't think first flight allows overnight parking. I would check. No fuel and parking is limited. Less than a mile walk to food. But an absolute must stop.

Ocean City NJ is a good spot. Close to the boardwalk. If OC NJ doesn't work out for some reason, Ocean City, MD would be a reasonable alternate, quick uber to the beach.

WWD and MIV have food on the field.

Consider Bay Bridge W29. Close to Annapolis, walking distance to good food.

Thanks!!! I found out one can park at FFA for up to 24 hours. I thought about doing both Ocean Cities, but only so many days available.

Here is a suggestion that will be hard to pass up: Make a reservation at the Inn at Chesapeake Bay (google it) and land at W29. Just 50 ft outside the airport gate to eat Maryland crabs outdoors served on a picnic table, walk 1/3 mile to stay at the hotel. I will even loan you a free spare car & and you can visit Historic Annapolis MD and/or US Naval Academy. Drive five miles east and enjoy infamous Red Eye's Dock Bar, The Jetty, or Fishermen's Inn & Crab Deck. Maryland Seafood & Waterfront dining EVERYWHERE! Heck, if you are here on the weekend and the weather right you can join me for a full day boating trip to Historic St Michaels MD: The little town that fooled the British!! (Sorry I will be out of town 6/10 thru 6/16. but the car is still available) Tie Downs $10 night last i looked, the Hotels around here are pricey (resort area) but the food & beverages are reasonable and everything else I mentioned is FREE. "Land of Pleasant Living" Best contact is email: esealing at gmail .com Would enjoy meeting you! (Or anyone else on this Forum) Ed S. :cool:

Hello Ed,

Thank you so much for the info on W29 and your super kind offer. W29 sounds like a perfect stop. It also sounds like it is worthwhile making it a longer stop than just a quick overnight. I’ll have to plan on that for a future trip. I would absolutely love to spend all day on a boat in the Chesapeake with you! That’s very nice of you. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks!

Jerry

Hi Jerry, BHB is my home airport, so feel free to shoot me a message or give me a call (Maine area code) 576-9378 if you have questions or run into any trouble while you're up here.

-Jason

Thank you so much Jason. That’s very kind of you. I’ll keep your info on my speed dial!

Skip Martha's Vineyard. Instead go to either Nantucket or Block Island. Tangier is interesting, but after an hour and a half you will have seen the whole thing and be ready to leave.

Boating on the Chesapeake Bay

Jerry, you are welcome anytime! And any other RV aviators, just PM or email in advance with the dates this summer. We Just returned (30 minutes ago) from watching the Blue Angels Air Show over the US Naval Academy Graduation from the boat. What a fantastic air show! Their tight formation flying skills are unbelievable! And viewing it by boat with cold beverages in hand make it all that much more enjoyable. OK, back to the RV invitations, we love to entertain on the water (not a yacht) just a small 35ft fishing boat with twin outboards and the invitations are extended to anyone that cares to join us with advanced notice. Kent Island truly is the "Land of Pleasant Living" and W29 is a great stopover. Even if you don't have time for the boat, the Car is still available to you. We look forward to meeting like minded RV people. esealing at gmail . com :cool: Ed S

44N Sky Acres - Good Stop

If you are flying the Hudson River corridor northbound, then you should plan on stopping at 44N - Sky Acres. It's only a few clicks from West Point, has 24/7 cheap fuel, and is the home of www.skykgeek.com (aviation supplies). There use to be a café on the field, not sure if the café is still open.

Skip Martha's Vineyard. Instead go to either Nantucket or Block Island. Tangier is interesting, but after an hour and a half you will have seen the whole thing and be ready to leave.

I have to respectfully disagree. Katama airstrip on Martha’s Vineyard is one of the nicest places in the NE. Park your plane and walk across the street to a beautiful sandy beach that extends for miles. Or jump on the town bus for 1.50 and tour the island. Edgartown is close by and has many great places to dine or sight see.

Another great spot is Goodspeed in CT. Free bikes and a great restaurant is a 2 min walk. Overlooks the CT. River. Great place.

If you make it to ME. Check out Gadabout Gaddis airstrip. Located on a beautiful river. Breakfast in Limington ME is the best in NE.

Block Island is spectacular and worth the visit.

Chatham and Provincetown in the Cape are great as well.

+1 on Katama (1B2). It's one of the largest, if not the largest, grass airports in the NE. It's a treasure. Gaddabout Gaddis is another spectacular grass strip, but you will need to bring your short field landing A game to Gaddabout Gaddis (ME08) lest you end up in the Kennebec River.

If you are coming up from the south a fun trip is to fly the Hudson river at 1,000' from NYC to Lake Champlain. Land at Basin Harbor (B06), another nice grass strip. Walk to the Inn and stay overnight.

FANTASTIC!!! I wish I could reply to each and every one of you for all of your terrific information and suggestions. Now I feel like I need a month’s worth of vacation to cover all of that ground! Might have to plan on a NE trip part II for 2022. THANK YOU very very much!

BQ1 at Carthage North Carolina . The pick-n-pig restaurant is worth a stop coming and going

Second this.

Also, It's a 6mile hop to Dare County across the way from KFFA. The FBO is very accomodating, and there's some neat things to see around Roanoke.

Hello all.

I'm planning a trip up the NE US coast next month for about 11 or 12 days. We will be departing from Atlanta. then probably spend the night at Kitty Hawk, First Flight Airport (FFA) before heading back.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

What day at KFFA?

Was going to leave tomorrow for a flight down, however, WX in Petersburg, AK, PAPG, is non-workable until June 21st.

Plan to arrive 25/26 June at KFFA. For fuel been looking at KONX before heading West.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Presidential TFRs

On your trip through Delaware, watch out for the presidential TFRs that pop up just about every weekend. Wednesday we get the first one around Rehoboth Beach. Previously they have been around Wilmington.

Trip Report

Whatever you do, please do a trip report. We love a good trip report!
I flew to Belfast, ME in 2016. It was one of my most enjoyable trips, can't wait to do something like that again soon.
If you'd like to read my trip report it is right here, might give you some ideas.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=141972

Check out my web site below for more of my shenanigans.

Back