What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PAEN to KFFA and Back Again

mbauer

Well Known Member
PAEN to KFFA Kenai, AK to Kitty Hawk, NC

Tried to fly this back in 2019. Engine hammering caused me to cut the trip short. Returned back to Alaska.

March 2020 condition time. Cancelled like everything else when we switched our clocks from Standard Time to the Twilight Time zone.

July 2020 cylinder repair needed, Tulipp’d valve.

May 2021 and I’m ready to go. The weather says no way. so from May 28 until June 11th weather stops the flight.

On June 11th its sunny in Kenai and cloudy in Petersburg, however the sunny skies are heading directly towards Petersburg.

PAEN – PAPG: 731.7 S. Miles in 5.0 hours:
PAEN -PAPG 6-11-21.jpg

Take off around 3pm. Climbing towards the Kenai Mountains, it looks like the clouds are heavier than scattered. As I climb to my cruise altitude of 13,500ft, the clouds are soon scattered below me.

Climbing through 5,000ft, time to switch to the 20 gal usable, Aux Fuel Tank sitting in the passenger seat.

Plan is to test and make sure it is feeding properly at climb power settings. After 30-minutes I’ll switch to the mains to finish the route.

8,000ft time to apply oxygen to the pilot.

Seward, Alaska to the south:
Dsc_0023.jpg

As the view increases can see the end of the clouds and Prince William Sound is clear blue skies!
Dsc_0021.jpg

Portage Alaska:
28-29 Portage AK.jpg

Black Stone Bay:
Dsc_0027.jpg

Wells Passage from Whittier to Prince William Sound:
Dsc_0025.jpg

Looking towards Valdez, Alaska:
Dsc_0048.jpg

Cockpit view. Notice the temp as I climb to 13,500ft. Next destination is Cordova, Alaska PACV.:
Dsc_0036.jpg

Cockpit view - GPS shows intentional deviation from route. That water is cold. Islands offer a chance of getting found:
Dsc_0049.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
PAEN -PACV-PAYA-PAPG

I’ve been planning to post this trip since June 2021. Things keep me off track. I’ll be posting these as I have time to write them up and the photos to use. Over 4,000 were taken.

Still not quite to Cordova PACV.

A few more views out the canopy.

Looking north:
Dsc_0063.jpg

Glaciers/PACV:
Dsc_0077.jpg

City of Cordova:
Dsc_0082.jpg

PACV:
Dsc_0084.jpg

Zoom on a Lake:
Dsc_0085.jpg

Big Picture of the Lake:
Dsc_0086.jpg

Not sure how these panoramic will look after downsizing enough to fit here.
Panoramic of Glaciers1:
88-92 Glaciers big view.jpg

Glaciers:
Dsc_0105.jpg

Panoramic of Glaciers above:
93-99 Glaciers to the North.jpg

Mike

PAEN-PACV-PAYA

Almost to Yakutat PAYA at the end of this post.

Near the half way point PAEN-PACV-PAYA-PAPG = 731 s. miles

Cockpit view-temp again is nice and cool. I like it it. Although I have 5lbs of blue ice wrapped in 4-layers of insulated bag, inside all this are 25-lbs of Colossal Alaskan King Crab Legs. Deep frozen is another 18 lbs of smoked salmon. The bags are velcro’d to the seat belt-aux fuel tank. One inside the other-50 can size bags. They sit on the floor and clear the passenger rudder pedals by 12 inches. They do not move the whole flight to Idaho. My sisters and brother have no idea what I'm bringing-Hehehehe:
Dsc_0107.jpg

Gulf of Alaska Ahead:
Dsc_0113.jpg

Combo of 118-121 Snow Covered Peaks = Glacier Feeders:
118-121 Snow Covr'd Peaks-Glcr Feeders.jpg

Combo of 122-124
122-124 Glaciers.jpg

Cockpit:
Dsc_0131.jpg

Combo 132-137 Skyline:
132-137 Skyline.jpg

Green lower reaches:
Dsc_0138.jpg

Combo 145-149Malispina Glacier:
145-149 Malispina Glacier.jpg

Cockpit Malispina Glacier ahead:
Dsc_0151.jpg

Malispina Glacier:
Dsc_0153.jpg

I needed a photo edit program. Did a quick search and used a photo edit program from NCH. Liked it enough to pay the $39 to purchase. With it came a "Full Photo Size" panorama feature. When it says full size, after it is done stitching the photos, they add the total of each photo to the total size of the combined. Lots of editing to get them to post here.

Mike

Last edited:
Mike glad to see the write up. Glad to see you back in the traveling mode. I am getting a new motor sometime next year and already planning heading your way :)

Kenai%20-%201%208.jpg

Kenai%20-%201%2012.jpg

Awesome stuff!

I am very much wanting to come fly around Alaska this summer, maybe I'll get a chance to meet up with you and Vlad!

Thank For the Comments

Thank you for the comments. This is just the first 731-miles, many more photos and stories heading this way.

Vlad, as always looking forward to your visit! As mentioned by email, still planning a trip next summer to visit everyone I missed this summer. The heat in June was very unpleasant for someone from Alaska. Looking at three weeks around Memorial weekend. Not renting the house out anymore 3-bedrooms open.

airguy-Pm me and we can talk about when you're heading up.

If you like to fish, the Kenai is one of the biggest tourist destinations for road provided access to many different types of salmon, trout, and salt water fishing for halibut. World record King Salmon was caught on the Kenai River.

Mike

Last edited:
Last Part for the Kenai to Petersburg Leg

Ran into some of the soon to be leaving clouds once I left the mainland and started flying over open water and the islands that make up the Alaska Panhandle.

Combo 152-159 that shows part of the Malispina Glacier and view to the west:
152-159 Malispina.jpg

Cockpit View-Directly over Yakutat:
Dsc_0164.jpg

Outside view of cockpit GPS location:
Dsc_0165.jpg

Gulf of Alaska Shoreline:
Dsc_0167.jpg

Mt Crillion nice and bright:
Dsc_0169.jpg

Start of the Islands:
Dsc_0174.jpg

More Islands-mainland is the background mountains-continuous shoreline:
Dsc_0177.jpg

Almost to Petersburg:
Dsc_0190.jpg

Glimpse of PAPG through a gap in the mountains:
Dsc_0195.jpg

Mainland Skyline; fore-ground mountains are an island, backdrop is the mainland:
Dsc_0196.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
PAPG Petersburg, Alaska

Boy did Covid change Petersburg.

In the past I like to walk the mile to the hotel. Nice bike path from the airport and you walk through center of residential neighborhoods. Been through here 4-times now.

The people are super friendly. Walking around: everything is within 3-miutes that you could need.

This trip was different!

In the past I would walk to the hotel, get a room and hang out till ready to leave, a couple of times spent an extra day waiting for the weather to change.

This time I barely got to the hotel in time to get a room. 837pm and the clerk was getting ready to shutdown and go home. Got my room but nothing was open to get any food or even a beer.

Vending machine was almost empty...

After checking with the local eateries and grocery store hours, realized I would be taking off well before they would open. The grocery store was closed every other day due to no workers.

My timing as normal; Impeccable: it was closed tomorrow.

Or wait two hours and get something to eat. Those two hours would put me in afternoon weather conditions near the border with Canada and the USA.

Okay time to break out some of the survival food in my packs. I've cooked up several pounds of hardtack and ANZAC biscuits.

Modern version of hardtack uses oats and some other items you can choose and pick from. Light weight food that will last for years. Making some pemmican soon to add to the supply here at home and for flying.

Breakfast was hardtack, and ANZAC Biscuits (WWII biscuit that the Australian/New Zealand families in WWII would make and send to their military-would not spoil during the long travel time between family members). Coffee was a main part of this nourishing meal.

Just wanted to mention the fun in Petersburg. Might have helped to call ahead, but I've been here so many times it wasn't required due to prior experience.

Mike

Last edited:
PAPG to KPSC 12JUN2021

PAPG to KPCS June 12, 2021

Not many photos to share on this section. Was busy flying.

Take off was before the sun crested the eastern skyline. Morning dew was everywhere and rather heavy. Cool crisp morning requiring a jacket.

From flying the night before and the temp was 22° F, decided to wear warmer clothing for the flight down the British Columbia Coastal Mountains. Flight was going to be at 11,500ft cruising altitude.

T-shirt, long sleeve button down, and a light weight jacket should keep me warm, don’t want to run the cabin heater because of the King Crab Legs.

Soon after take off and about 75-miles southeast of Petersburg, noticed some scatter clouds ahead. Okay, no issue they were forecast but supposed to be later in the day. I’m well above their tops and should be able to stay that way.

Clouds:
Dsc_0201.jpg

Almost 700-miles on continuous mountains, no roads and very few airstrips. Today’s flight was going to be different. Planned to land at Sandpoint, Idaho [KSZT]. This means crossing the Coastal Mountains and eventually flying over interior British Columbia. Quesnel, Williams Lake, Kamloops> areas.

Approaching the border of Canada and Alaska, I called Anchorage and asked for flight following. This is a big help when crossing the border, even if doing an over flight trip, not landing in Canada.

Crossed the border and continued on. Few clouds soon turned into scattered. The tops well below my path.

More Clouds:
Dsc_0208.jpg

Approaching the half way point of the route, the clouds soon became worse than forecast. Soon a decision had to be made: Descend or try to out climb the fast rising clouds. Outside temp was well above forecast at this level. In Canada if you go above 13,500ft you need to be on an IFR Flight Plan. My RV-6 is VFR. In the several cockpit photos during this trip, you’ll notice what instruments I do have.

My location was very near the valley and lower lands of the interior Canada.
Valley Interior:
Dsc_0215.jpg

Dsc_0219.jpg

My decision was easy, descend and check the lower levels. Nice big open area to descend through and the RV and I were below the bases.

The bumps began.

Been out of radio contact for a while, re-established contact with Vancover. Then I called for a weather check with Kamloops.

Talk about accurate forecasters, the Kamloops crew on every flight have been 100%.

One time I delayed in Petersburg because the lady forecaster said that day would be bad for Convection. We don’t get much Convection in Alaska.

The call was made. Bad news: Sand Point was overcast and raining. Not what was forecast. Time to change flight plan. Omak, Washington [KOMK] was open.

Revised flight plan.

New route: back towards the mountains. Rather be above them, BUT, clouds in the way.

Look some valleys heading in my direction.

I have a printed USA VFR Wall Chart and also the Alaska VFR Wall Chart made into small booklets that open as map books. They saved my bacon on this trip.

The Alaska version has the whole coastal British Columbia section to Orcas Island as an inset. Could wish for a better scale, but I was able to decide my route. Yes, the GPS and iPad had navigation stuff, but I’m old school and when I get into issue revert to the old ways. I know maps and can read easier than a screen.

Plus you can mark and follow your progress without a bunch of typing. Lot easier to draw a line and follow when under increased workload.

Bumpy would be an understatement. Lots of deviations due to base and tops of mountains.

Bottoms/Tops:
Dsc_0225.jpg

Mountains and Valleys with clouds:
Dsc_0227.jpg

Finally time to call Seattle and cross the border. The next call was Seattle radio for weather. Pendleton, OR was open as was all of Washington state except for the coast.

Changed plan to KPDT, Pendleton, OR. Fuel prices cheaper than WA. Range from PAPG to KPDT was right at 1011 s. miles well within my range.

At 9500ft it was bumpy. Hot and bumpy. An air show at Mosses Lake just ended, okay to fly past without any deviations.

A huge dust devil to the right. At the very top, at my level was a glider thermalling.

Soon the bumps and the heat began to take a toll around the 6.5 hour mark. Kept water in my makeshift cooler, but I drank those hours ago. Upset stomach from coffee and non-conventional breakfast added issues with the heat.

Had been sweating for some time. Then it quit. Began to get light headed. I've had some really good Wilderness First Responders classes and I knew this was bad! Thought process was continue to KPDT but decided to divert and get on the ground at Pasco, WA [KPSC].

Called and made the change, quick turn the west and I was soon in the pattern. When calling entering downwind the tower said I was #2 after a regional jet on a 9-mile final.

Oh boy, hot bumpy wasn’t going to end. Then the tower asked if I wanted to land in front of the jet. Was just approaching the point in a RV-6 where you do your before landing checks.

Yes, I would take that option. Landed, asked for transit parking. Super close already pointed at it while taxing off the main.

Parked jumped out and began shedding clothing, it was over 100° F. Big shock to my system.

Dug through some survival bags, got more water out and drank and poured over my head.

After cooling off, got a hotel for the day and air conditioned myself back to normal. Was planning continuing to Idaho. Not going to happen after the shock of the heat I was going to be dealing with.

Oh, the King Crab? No, way to leave out in that heat. Took to the hotel room, placed in bath tub and raided the ice machine to pile ice around it. Only one more day till it would be in a freezer-if it hasn’t thawed.

Mike

Last edited:
KPSC to KBYI 13JUN2021

KPSC to KBYI 13JUN2021
KPSC to KBYI 320 S. Miles.JPG

Even getting to the RV at 6am was not a cool experience. Temp already 85 °F and climbing faster than a 6 can.

Loaded up and taxied to the other side of the field to get to the local FBO. Topped the mains.

A great advantage to having an Aux-Fuel tank is where to fill it, unless needed for a long x-country leg.

In this case, fuel was high dollars so, fill the mains and wait till cheaper prices are available.

Had an issue latching the canopy. Didn’t know it but a piece of the axe handle was interfering with the passenger side latch. I was taxing with it open to try and survive the heat until take off time.

Problem developed when cleared for the active. There was a small pad to the right of my spot, asked the tower for permission to park and fix my canopy issue, they approved.

Shutdown and quick fix, once problem identified, was able to clear it by reaching across from pilot seat.

Crank up and tower cleared again for the active. RV-6 took its time, temp was near 95 °F. After almost driving down the length of the runway the RV lifted off and the climb was made in stages to cooler air at 13,500ft.

Following Photos are the Blue Mountains in Oregon:
Dsc_0231.jpg

Dsc_0233.jpg

Dsc_0235.jpg

Looking back at Washington State:
Dsc_0239.jpg

Idaho foot hills:
Dsc_0247.jpg

Zoom on peak far distance in the Idaho Primitive Area:
Dsc_0260.jpg

Staying at KBYI Burley Idaho for the night. Sister has a home up in the foothills in a small town called Albion, Idaho.

Was planning taking off tomorrow and flying to Custer County [KCUT], but a couple of maintenance issues need corrected. Brother in law, RANS S7, has a hangar in American Falls, and cheap fuel [U01]. 40-air miles away.

The King Crab was still frozen when we transferred to a freezer at my sister's. Next stop to my other sister will deliver her share..

He does lots of back country flying. Been doing it since childhood.

Mike

Last edited:
KBYI to U01 14JUN2021

KBYI to U01 14JUN2021
Lava Flow.JPG

Short hop to do maintenance.

Note in photo above it says lava. These are from several thousand years ago. This is the southside of the Craters of the Moon Park.

If you look for Minidoka you will see a 4-wheel drive road depicted. You can use this road to get to some incredible mountain biking areas. The lava is like a paved highway in spots. There are no marked trails. It is flat an easy to get lost.

The colors are what is so amazing. All kinds of fluorescent reds, greens, oranges, yellows of licen that live in the rock. Natural super small “Bonzai” type trees that are centuries old grow from cracks in the lava.

I have photos that I can add to this thread if you would like to see an interesting mountain biking area. From 2009 when spent some time exploring. CAUTION: Rattlesnake Area pets not a good idea. They get rather mad if you run them over. Not a good plan to stop and administer first aid.

Aux-fuel tank line was upgraded from 6AN to 8AN. One of the elbows at the corner of the tank was chaffing the tygon plastic. Quick fix or leave tank behind. Leaving one of my oxygen cylinders, it is empty. Changed canopy struts. Removed prop leading edge tape. Ends were holed and airspeed was suffering.

For the Catto prop fix, wanted to wait until had resources available to remove any residue left behind. Prop was balanced during the last condition inspection. My new mechanic works on helicopters for the local medevac companies.

No local aviation supply, found a hydraulic shop that had a fitting that worked to fix the chaffing issue. In American Falls, plenty of tractor/farming shops down main street. Hydraulics available both sides of the road…

Spent the night with sister in Pocatello before leaving for KCUT.

Mike

Last edited:
U01 to KCUT 15JUN2021

U01 to KCUT 15JUN2021
U01 - KDIJ-KWYS-W43-KCUT 6-15-2021.JPG

U01-KCUT 6-15-21.jpg

Planned route is the scenic route. North to Driggs, Idaho and the Grand Tetons, a little more to the North and Yellowstone Park soon appears. Granted Yellowstone is best viewed from lower, my cruise altitude of 13,500 was kept and zoom lens used. Tamron 18-270mm super zoom.

A right turn to the East and I’m headed towards Devils Tower and Mt Rushmore.

First are the Grand Tetons.

The next posts will cover Yellowstone, flying across Wyoming, finally making it to KCUT.

Combo heading towards the Grand Tetons:
265-267 Tetons.jpg

12’oclock Tetons put up steel buildings for a few o these farmers in the valley you can see-time was 1970's:
Dsc_0272.jpg

Tetons Close:
Dsc_0281.jpg

Combo Close-up:
292-296 Tetons.jpg

Turn to the North:
Dsc_0299.jpg

Heading towards Yellowstone.

Mike

Last edited:
Yellowstone Park 15JUN 2021

Yellowstone:

Not many photos to share. Accidentally changed the settings on my Nikon. Most of the ponds and such are out of focus.

Hot water pond photos:
Dsc_0302.jpg

Closeup:
Dsc_0304.jpg

Road going East:
Dsc_0308.jpg

Yellowstone Lake:
Dsc_0309.jpg

FIRE!
Dsc_0313.jpg

Zoom on Fire most of these photos from here on have smoke from various wildland fires going. These photos are of just one of several:
Dsc_0319.jpg

Time to turn right towards the East:
Dsc_0320.jpg

I Follow Roads:
Dsc_0322.jpg

Fire Again:
Dsc_0326.jpg

Hazy View:
Dsc_0341.jpg

Next will be the Devil’s Tower.

Mike

Devils Tower and Mt Rushmore 15JUN 2021

Devil’s Tower W43 Hulett, WY and Mt Rushmore to KCUT 15JUN2021

Some photos of the Devils Tower taken from Cruise Altitude. Anybody else notice a slight hazy look to the photos? Smoke from the fires effecting even here!

Devils Tower1:
Dsc_0405.jpg

Devils Tower2:
Dsc_0417.jpg

Devils Tower3:
Dsc_0418.jpg

Sorry, out of Focus zoom:
Dsc_0420.jpg

Now onto Mt Rushmore!

Not many photos, staying out of trouble and taking photos is a good idea to take just a few don’t stay and circle for more…Plus the fact they were in afternoon shadows.

Could not find Crazy Horse. Thought I had marked it on my map, but failed. Decided I would spend the night and get to it in the morning when I did my morning Mt. Rushmore flight.

Although still light in the day, hard to get a good photo in the afternoon shadows.

Mt. Rushmore1:
Dsc_0432.jpg

Mt Rushmore2:
Dsc_0453.jpg

Landed at KCUT a few miles away to spend the night. Not many hotels available, stayed at the Cowboy Inn, 2star hotel would be stretching it, but everything was nice and clean. Rental car another issue-Big money for a daily rental not reserved in advance!

Plan to get up before sunrise and be in the air when the sun crests the horizon putting an early morning glow on the stonework.

Mike

KCUT to KTZT to KMGY 16JUN2021

KCUT to KTZT to KMGY 16JUN2021
KCUT-KMEY-KTZT-KMGY 6-16-2021 1043 miles.JPG

KCUT to KTZT
KCUT-KTZT 6-16-21.jpg

Nice and dark outside when I left the hotel room. 4am and not much was moving.

Driving back to the airport, I noticed some white looking animals moving towards the road. Wow, deer sure are easy to see after looking for moose everyday! Plenty of time to stop the rental car and let them cross the road.

Excited, up before the sun, plan to fuel up and get in the air before the sun crosses the horizon. Fuel the mains only, yesterdays flight used the Aux Tank. Today short hops to get the fuel as needed.

Sky was light could see a haze in the sky, okay from the fires yesterday. Looks like the sun is almost ready to enter the sky and do today's work.

As soon as I was in the air lost all ground reference. The smoke was bad! One instant I could see the end of the runway, the next it was wiped from view. Looking around could not see any thing of the ground horizontal, but looking straight done could make out items. Then I was above the thick cloud layers and in a haze.

Decided to look for Mt Rushmore to see if photos were going to be taken. It was super hard to see. Only way I found them was because the sun was underneath the heavy smoke layer and hitting them on the face.

Here is what they looked like when I first saw them.:
Dsc_0469.jpg

Photo close-up showing them with the sun on their faces and smoke completely surrounding them:
Dsc_0474.jpg

Dsc_0482.jpg

Rest of day was spent out running the smoke and haze. Belle Plaine, Iowa [KTZT] for fuel. Not sure why I selected this small place but was surprised to see what kind of pilot goodies they had available. Courtesy Car available.

Fuel was cheap, lowest on the trip so far. Topped everything off.

It was hot but they had some out door furniture setup in the shade of the hangar / pilot lounge. Sat outside and did some flight planning. There was a summer breeze that felt good in the shade.

Fell a sleep for a short nap.

Woke up and there was a Piper taxing in for fuel. After they topped off talked with the pilot briefly. Was a MMA fighter going to weigh in for a big fight. We talked and then he and his crew took off for his weigh in.

After a 45-minute rest back in the air.

KTZT-KMGY 16JUN2021
KTZT-KMGY 6-16-21.jpg

Looking forward to landing at KMGY Wright Brothers Airport. Not much to show for photos, haze stopped autofocus feature on camera. Missed several photos due to this.

A couple of photos along the route. You can see the haze:
Dsc_0536.jpg

Dsc_0539.jpg

During my flights in this heat, was drinking 3-5 16 oz bottles of water every three to four hours. Did not need to pull over for a rest stop. Although could find 50degree F air at 11,500ft, the sun beating through the canopy was sucking it out of me as fast as I could drink more.

Mike

Last edited:
KMGY 17-19JUN2021

KMGY 17JUN2021

Rest Stop At KMGY Wright Brother Airport Miamisburg, OH.

Spent the 17th changing my oil.

Tie down was at First Flight Aviation. Great group of people!

At the front counter, asked about an oil change. The salesperson had me wait a minute. Soon the owner came out and introduced himself, Justin.

A quick talk about the oil change soon had me informed that he had a short crew, a new guy was starting the following Tuesday. If I needed an oil change I would have to do it myself. He let me use part of his hangar to get out of the sun.

He, himself cut my oil filter open and we did the inspection together.

Met his crew while working on the change. Got invited for the nightly bull session after work hours.

When it was time to leave Justin was out in the hangar talking with someone. I walked by at a distance and headed to the office/counter area.

Soon Justin was heading my way with a great big grin, should’ve known something was up.

He asks a simple question, “How many people live in Alaska?”.

My answer give or take 750,000. He laughed and asked what are the odds that two from Kenai would be there at the same time?

Sean a mechanic/pilot was his new hire mechanic. I know him he used to live here in Alaska and just took the job to move South.

Sean had seen my airplane and asked where I was. Said only one paint job like that. Knew it was me.

18JUN2021

Wright-Patterson AFB Museum visit. Second reason for this trip.

Main reason for the trip: To visit the birth place of controlled flight.

After the museum excursion, I fell asleep at the hotel. Thunderstorms had been off and on most of the afternoon. Was tired and after about 3500-miles needing a rest.

My phone woke me up. What the heck was a Tsunami alert doing in Ohio, there isn’t an ocean for miles. We get one or two a year depends on the earthquake and location.

After reaching the phone, it isn’t a Tsunami alert but one for Tornados in the area.

I do what you’re not supposed to. I’m on the top floor of the hotel and the view is good. It was dark and the wind and rain were horrendous. Sideways and wall of water best way to describe the rain. Total darkness.

Trees bent double. Whole time I’m thinking commercial flight back, no way tie down RV is going to survive what I’m seeing out the window.

Then everything quit. Just like that. No wind, rain nothing, just quiet. Just like it stopped, it slammed into action again from the opposite direction. Rain just as heavy, wind worse.

During all of this people were coming into the hotel in groups, the cops shutdown the highways and were diverting travelers to shelter.

Finally it just dissipated and became calm.

Then in the distance to the west, I saw a partial sunset. Couldn’t believe the sun was still up and it was so dark.

After an hour of calm, decided to brave the road to the airport and check on the RV.

Most people had already left the hotel and the highways had traffic on them again. Steady stream of headlights / taillights.

Reaching the man gate, opened it and could see the RV still parked where I left it.

Before leaving Alaska I bought some Spectra rope to use as tie down. Super thin, but strong as ½” braided nylon at a third the weight. Bought the bigger stuff and use it for tie down in Alaska now.

Leaving tomorrow for flight to Kitty Hawk.

The storm that did all today's work is heading straight for Kitty Hawk! It will get there tomorrow. To top it off there is a huge storm leaving the Gulf of Mexico and heading straight to Kitty Hawk. Looking at the forecast, if I pick a spot to spend tomorrow night at, I should be able to duck into Kitty Hawk and get out between the storms.

19JUN2021
KMGY-KSIF 6-19-21.jpg

I chose KSIF Rockingham County NC Shiloh. Called ahead and yes, they had a courtesy car available. Great short flight hot/muggy and spent the night with planned early take off to race the storm to the coast.

Landed pulled up to the fuel, topped off mains, Aux still full from KTZT. It would be needed for the next planned distance between fuel stops.

Tie down chores complete. Into the office to check on the car and ran into the local group of infamous world wide liars club members with a meeting going on in full swing.

Knew I was in trouble when Emery asks, “Hey Sonny where you from?”

My answer, "Kenai Alaska". Brought another question, Do you know Terry?

Sure do, he is a C-46 Commando driver during the day and owns a RV-6 like mine but has a training wheel up front. He’s also building a RV8 project.

“That Terry?”, I ask.

It got deep fast after that, phone call was made to Terry.

Aviation is a small and incredibly great society. Get your planes in the air!

Received directions on how to get to the closest hotel that I could find for a reservation before leaving Ohio. It was in a couple of towns over.

Hoping I’m getting near the right hotel, I see a sign. It has my complete attention. 95°F and no air conditioning in car. Windows down, trying to catch the breeze.

The sign is in the middle of 35mph turn. With the smoothest application of brakes, rear view look, turn signal on, and abrupt application of brakes after verifying nothing behind me, I made the drive-way.

The sign? SHAVE ICE

It was a small fruit stand owned by an older couple. Fresh peaches off of a tree? Water melon vine ripe. Home made syrup for the shave ice.

Wish I could of bought more, it would have gone rotten. I ate 5-peaches that night. They had juice and flavor. The juice exploded as you bit into them. In Alaska you get rock hard, green peaches….

Mike

KSIF to KFFA 20JUN2021

KSIF to KFFA 20JUN2021

Short flight. Clouds had me at 2500ft for the first 80-miles before able to get to 5500ft.

Ran into some rain as I got to Albemarle Sound. Light and intermittent. Then I could see the Outer Banks. Dodge around the restricted areas and soon I began to get excited!
Albemarle Sound looking at the Outer Banks:
Dsc_0972.jpg

Zoom on Memorial:
Dsc_0980.jpg

After all of the flights to get here the emotions really add to the RV smile. It seems to come from within and emanates until the grin just won’t go away!

Quick check of winds and time to setup for a landing where it all began.
Dsc_0266.jpg

N999SN: Thank you Vans!
Dsc_0998.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
KFFA 20JUN2021

KFFA 20JUN2021

Quick visit. Cloudy skies as you can see in photos. Still hot and muggy. Any movement on my part and I sweat.

Small back pack with water and camera gear, time to get moving. Storm is on the way!

I hit all the exhibits. They are spread out over a distance. Some photos…

The Memorial:
Dsc_0053.jpg

Dsc_0065.jpg

The sculpture:
Dsc_0078.jpg

N999SN again:
Dsc_0089.jpg

Replica of the sheds they lived and worked in:
Dsc_0095.jpg

Rock with plaque:
Dsc_0184.jpg

Rocks:
Dsc_0185.jpg

RV-6 How many have this photo of your RV? Signed the pilot log book in the pilot lounge building?:
Dsc_0164.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
PAEN - KFFA Totals

KFFA

I failed to log all of the gallons bought. Thought I was doing a good job of note taking but the total gallons did not get in the notebook. I do have a pile of receipts that I might use to see if I have the missing info.

Jun 11 start date Jun 20 Arrival. RV’s are incredible!

It would be interesting to see how long a C172 with 180hp could do this trip in!

PAEN-PAPG-KPSC-KBYI-U01-KCUT-KTZT-KMGY-KSIF-KFFA:
PAEN-KFFA 11-20JUN2021.JPG

4481.5 Statute Miles
29.8 Hours total flying

Thank you Vans for such a wonderful airplane.

Well if you notice the title has the words "and Back", hoping I haven't bored you with the way down, the trip back was very interesting....Want to see more?

Mike

Last edited:
KFFA to KMGY 20JUN2021

KFFA-PAEN

KFFA-KMGY 20JUN2021
KFFA-KMGY 6-20-21.jpg

Talking with a briefer in my hotel room back on the 18th for the weather on the 19th. The briefer made a comment that kind'a had me thinking.

We were talking about the storm that had just hit the Dayton area with the tornadoes. His comment was it would reach Kitty Hawk the next day, but was "dissipating”. He said it should be all right by the time I would arrive.

No matter what you think a RV can do, in my mind there was no way I was flying into that storm, dissipating or not!

If you look at the Memorial photos you can see I’m looking east as there is the Atlantic Ocean seen in them. If you look at the clouds you see they are moving in fast from behind me.

Time to get going before I’m waiting out the storm that is heading this way.

No rain as I take off and head West back to KMGY. That doesn’t last long.

Trying to race the storm before it gets here almost worked.

I learned something about rain and low vision in places you’re not familiar with.

In Alaska there are things that you just don’t have to worry about or look for: Towers!

I was well above one that I happened to see and realized it easily could have been taller. New hazard to look out for at these lower flight levels.

I got caught with the leading edge of the rain before leaving the Outer Banks.

It was moderate and light, slowed way down to protect the prop. RPM below 2100 carb heat full open.

Realized at this time that the trip back was going to be different. Weather was going to play a bigger part!

Outer Banks:
Dsc_0272.jpg

Windmills/Rain:
Dsc_0275.jpg

Rain:
Dsc_0277.jpg

Layers:
Dsc_0281.jpg

Out Running Storm:
Dsc_0285.jpg

Smoky Mountains:
Dsc_0291.jpg

Dsc_0298.jpg

Surfing the Front-tailwind helping with Ground speed, been fighting quartering headwind till now:
Dsc_0305.jpg

Smoky Mountains:
Dsc_0318.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
KMGY - C75 21JUN2021

KMGY-C75 21JUN2021
KMGY-C75 6-21-21.jpg

Some days are not meant to fly. Sure visibility is good but maybe the winds might be a little cantankerous. Was getting home itous kicking in? The heat affecting my thinking?

Why did I fly this day?

Cloud bases 4500ft , 10sm reported visibility everywhere. Winds 30 g45 in places. KMGY had them pretty much down the runway a little gusty but not bad.

Take off and head west. It was gusty the whole flight 40-50kt headwind had me slowed way down on ground speed. Low cloud bases keep me low. Scattered but not scattered enough to climb on top of them to get into smoother air.

Then there was a huge 20 mile gap, plenty of room to get on top! I knew the winds were going to be stronger, but smoother would be well worth the price to pay for additional fuel!

After an hour on top ran into a wall of cloud that blocked my way. Still scattered underneath, but clouds were really tall and thick. Moving really fast and shape changing faster.

I turned around and began looking for a way down. Knowing that I was in a very stupid position. Approx. 10-miles back along my path found an opening suitable to descend and get under the bases again. This could have ended differently!

After flying headlong into this wind, decided to find a place to land and hide.

Began looking for airports with the wind heading straight down the runway. Some were really gusting. All had strong base winds of at least 20kts.

Finally C75 Marshal County had the correct runway heading. Winds were 22ktG27. Easy landing. Taxied up to the pumps and found a really nice surprise: Cheap Fuel-Topped off everything.

Then Barry the airport manager came out and greeted me. Wow! RV was in a hangar, keys to a courtesy car in my hands and hotel room reserved. Courtesy car had full fuel...

What a fantastic find! C75 will always be a main stop on future flights south and east:
DSC_0319.jpg

No photos bumps way to bad to fly and take photos. Every time I tried, camera would just run the auto focus continuous.

Mike

Last edited:
C75 - KVTN 22JUN2021

C75-KVTN 22JUN2021
C75-KVTN 6-22-21.jpg

Today will be a monster mile day: Plan a 1200 mile day today. That means adding throttle to fight the headwinds as I head west. Glad to have the Aux-tank to keep range within reason.

Original plan had me flying towards the Grand Canyon on the way back, but with the super unusual heat wave in the USA, decided to stay north and get back home fast!

Two legs today over 600 miles each. Valentine, Nebraska [KVTN] is the fuel stop between them. It will be super hot by the time I get there. Density altitude off the charts...I've got trust the RV can handle it.

Plan to use the Aux-Tank for 1.5-hours and save the last 1.5 for the other leg. That way won’t have extra weight for the take off. Will top the mains at Valentine only.

Going high, today will be done on oxygen. Headwinds almost the same all the way to 18,000. Was able to show a faster ground speed at times!

C75-Note the short 180 runway. When I came in I used 31 Runway heading towards the buildings, long runway can see the approach end L shape:
DSC_0319.jpg

Waited until McDonalds open at 6am in Chillicothe, IA. This is going to be a long day wanted at least breakfast, before leaving.

Yesterday bought some snacks to eat that could be handled easily when needed. Beef jerky and big cheeze it crackers.

Cooler bags that used to house the crab have been in use with ice keeping my drinking water nice and cold.

After the short drive back to Lacon, IA , arrived at the airport to find Barry already there at 6:20am. Was re-painting the office.

Gave him the keys to the car. He followed me out and we un-housed my RV-6. I helped with the re-closing of the hangar doors.

Said good-bye and climbed in for the crank-up after a thorough pre-flight. Bumps were strong and continuous yesterday, looking for anything that might have come loose, cracks in control hinges, etc..

No wind at 7am. Decided to taxi to the 18 run way as it was closest. Temp was already 85° F on takeoff. Lots of runway needed with full fuel.

I like to go to best rate on take off, gives some speed if something goes wrong.

If you look at the photo for C75, you can see the farm near the departure end of 18. By the time I had 130IAS I was about 200ft above those rolling hills. I stayed in the pattern for a downwind depart to get this photo as I was climbing to 14,500ft. By the end of the downwind leg was well above traffic pattern altitude.

Just gotta love these RV’s. As long kept IAS above 130 for the climb, the engine was right at 200° F on oil temp and cylinder head below 350°F. Even in these density altitude situations, the RV came through every time!

Windmills:
Dsc_0324.jpg

Airspeed vs., Ground Speed:
Dsc_0350.jpg

Layers again-reason why I’m down to 7500ft and descending:
Dsc_0352.jpg

Typical Small Town- Windmills along whole route:
Dsc_0358.jpg

Towers! Tall Towers!:
Dsc_0380.jpg

GPS Towers:
Dsc_0383.jpg

Towers Closer:
Dsc_0384.jpg

KVTN Valentine:
Dsc_0462.jpg

Mike

KVTN - KPIH 22JUN2021

KVTN – KPIH 22JUN2021
KVTN-KPIH 6-22-21.jpg

Decided to use the closest runway again the one the crop dusters were using: Depart RWY 21. Arrived on 32.

That put some pivot sprinklers in the way on the line of attack to get to the needed 130 IAS.

The takeoff in the density altitude was long. 2600ft altitude doesn’t seem that high, but you add the 100°+ heat of the early afternoon take off and you need lots of runway.

Afternoon bumps were all the way to 10,500ft. Finally climbed to 14,500ft and got above them, cooler air was soooo Nice.

Some really beautiful mountains to cross. Some still had frozen lakes up high.

Casper, WY:
Dsc_0484.jpg

Mountains ahead:
Dsc_0491.jpg

Mountains Zoom:
Dsc_0535.jpg

Cockpit View 15,420ft on way to 16,500ft. Bridger National Wilderness ahead. Want to clear with plenty of height. Temp is perfect! Strong winds could cause issue:
Dsc_0553.jpg

View Out Canopy:
Dsc_0561.jpg

Bridger National Wilderness high altitude lakes, some still frozen:
Dsc_0613.jpg

Skyline ahead:
Dsc_0627.jpg

Mountains again:
Dsc_0638.jpg

Almost to Idaho:
Dsc_0670.jpg

Mike

KPIH-KBOI 22-25JUN2021

KPIH-KBOI 23-25JUN2021

These days were rest days. Visiting sisters, and my brother who lives in Boise.

KPIH-U01 24JUN2021
KPIH-U01 6-24-21.jpg

Short hop, good fuel prices, pick up extra oxygen cylinder left at brother-in-laws hangar. Full fuel everything. Last cheap fuel between here and home.

American Falls U01 Fire:
Dsc_0718.jpg

KBYI 24JUN2021
U01-KBYI 6-24-21.jpg

Of note were these two who were on a mission of their own. N199MJ:
RV in KBYI.jpg

Needing to do some maintenance. Tach jumping all over the place, oil on belly more than normal. FBO in KBYI was a big help for the moments notice. Kevin is awesome!

KBYI –KBOI 25JUN2021
KBYI-KBOI 6-25-21.jpg

Flew to Boise to see my brother.

One more sister and an Aunt and Uncle to visit tomorrow.

Spent the night, caught up on news with my younger brother.

Mike

KBOI-U70-32S 26JUN2021

KBOI – U70 CASCADE 26JUN2021
KBOI-U70 6-26-21.jpg

Short climb into the mountains North of Boise. Visit Aunt and an Uncle. Invited to breakfast. Quaint little town. Main street with everything on either side.

Good home cooking at the restaurant. Packed on big meal. Bought a blueberry muffin for latter.

Sat and had a short visit till about 10am then headed to airport. Sitting under some trees with a cool morning breeze was awesome.

KORS is a long way too go when I need to go to Montana first to visit another sister. Need to get in the air!

U70 – 32S 26JUN2021
U70-32S 6-26-21.jpg

Hot bumpy ride over the Idaho Primitive Area, crossing West to East.

Climbing on the Western edge heading East:
Dsc_0720.jpg

Route Across Rugged Mountains:
Dsc_0729.jpg

Chamberlain Basin:
Dsc_0773.jpg

Dsc_0774.jpg

Montana in the distance:
Dsc_0842.jpg

Montana Valley’s/ Idaho Mountains:
Dsc_0881.jpg

Dsc_0883.jpg

Mike

32S - KORS 26JUN2021

32S-KORS 26JUN2021
32S-KORS 6-26-21.jpg

After visiting with sis, hot afternoon and getting hotter, time to go. 3600ft alt. With 90°F temp at take off.

Lots more runway goes by before the 6 feels light enough to fly.

In case anyone is wondering, my fuel tank fully loaded weighs 152lb. I have exactly 56lbs of cargo spread around, 24lb tool bag velcro’d to the front passenger floor/seat.

In the back 32lbs. Which includes survival bag, oxygen cylinder/regulator, seat cushions and a small travel bag with clothes etc.

Original builder tested for a total of 1800lbs. For me to meet that would take another 170lb passenger and then to land within CG means 10gal of fuel each wing.

I like the factory GW. I’m below that.

These long take offs are due to density altitude, something I haven’t dealt with in Alaska. Whole new technique to master quick.

Did several climbing S turns to clear the mountains and head North West to Orcas Island, Washington [KORS].

Great campground. New showers, shuttle bus, bikes, make it a great stopping point for the trip home.

Idaho Primitive Area Photos:
Dsc_0943.jpg

Dsc_0944.jpg

Dsc_0947.jpg

Cockpit View-Temp is wonderful the breeze from the vents feels like home. Got a tailwind working for me too:
Dsc_0951.jpg

Eastern Washington:
Dsc_0971.jpg

Grand Coulee Dam:
Dsc_0991.jpg

Washington:
Dsc_0007.jpg

Dsc_0012.jpg

Cascades:
Dsc_0026.jpg

More photos on the Cascades in the next post.

Mike

32S -KORS 26JUN 2021 Cont.

32S-KORS 26Jun2021 Cont.

Cascades:
Dsc_0030.jpg

View:
Dsc_0044.jpg

Hiding:
Dsc_0055.jpg

Cascades:
Dsc_0060.jpg

Dsc_0078.jpg

Right Wing:
Dsc_0082.jpg

Left Wing Got to looking at this photo-possible bear den and is that a (close to gas cap) ski area with the buildings & Tower?:
Dsc_0110.jpg

Nose:
Dsc_0130.jpg

Cascades:
Dsc_0134.jpg

Seattle-Puget Sound-San Juan Islands; Far right island that looks like a horseshoe-that is Orcas Island where I'm heading:
Dsc_0144.jpg

On the way home it was incredible. Took 191 photos from KORS to PAPG.

MIKE

Last edited:
KORS - PAPG 27JUN2021

KORS – PAPG 27JUN2021
KORS-PAPG 6-27-21.jpg

Late evening photo of my camp:
26JUN2021 KORS Camp.JPG

Always meet interesting people at Orcas Island. This time was no different. What was different about this trip was the heat. They hardly ever see 70°F let alone 85°F at 5am in the morning on the way to almost 100°F.

16ft ASL.

0430 wake up, shower, snack for breakfast. Pack up, fuel topped off (all tanks). 545am time to go.

Climb to 8500ft on my way to the border. That is the altitude they usually assign. Today was no different.

Flight Following request and now it is time to cross the border and get on the way.

Victoria Control has me fly the 8500ft with a 270° hdg. Once clear the commercial flight paths, get the word to resume own naviagation. Comox is usually out the window, good reminder to ask Control if the restricted area ahead is okay to fly through.

Several minutes ago, after hearing another aircraft calling Victoria, there is somebody else flying the coast today. A C182 left Friday Harbor and is going to Ketchikan for fuel.

Control asks me what altitude I’m at and heading to.

Passing through 10,400 ft for 12,500ft cruise.

The C182 asks the control to ask me the wind speed.

40kt tailwind.

Increased to 48kts at 12,500ft. CAVU with a tailwind.

700 miles the wind changes direction several times, so enjoy while you can.

Took 191 photos.

Right Side View:
Dsc_0180.jpg

COMBO Right Side View as Entering Coastal Mountains from the South:
182-188 BC Inlet.jpg

Combo Left view taken the same time to show Right side/Left Side View. 700-miles to go:
191-199 BC Inlet 2.jpg

Snow/Rock/Ice/Blue Sky:
Dsc_0208.jpg

Glacier:
Dsc_0211.jpg

Peak:
Dsc_0215.jpg

Skyline:
Dsc_0217.jpg

Zoom to the left Pacific:
Dsc_0228.jpg

More photos to follow. Lots to view on the way North over these Mountains!

Mike

Last edited:
KORS – PAPG 27JUN2021 Cont.

KORS – PAPG 27JUN2021 Cont.

These last few hours of flying home were some of the most beautiful. Until Yakutat the skies are clear and the views incredible.

Hope you like photos!

As I progress across the route, keep hearing the C182 calling in off and on, finally as I move ahead, I don’t hear him anymore as I'm a freq. or two ahead of him.

Crossing the Skeena River, not much more to go before I cross the border again into Alaska and home.

Skeena River looking West:
Dsc_0288.jpg

Green Valley:
Dsc_0290.jpg

Reflection:
Dsc_0301.jpg

International Border:
Dsc_0303.jpg

What it looks like out the canopy:
Dsc_0310.jpg

Alaska:
Dsc_0314.jpg

Alaska Photo:
Dsc_0317.jpg

Glacier near Wrangell:
Dsc_0328.jpg

PAPG:
Dsc_0346.jpg

Looking towards the South East in this photo PAPG:
Dsc_0347.jpg

Mike

Mike,

You need a narrator for this and an illustrator to boot to illustrate and narrate this adventure properly. Quite the adventure, keep burning 100LL!

PAPG - PAEN 27JUN2021

Mike

Combo Petersburg:
PAPG 6-27-2021-.jpg

I really like Petersburg. People are super friendly, great place to walk around the docks and see the boats, often getting into long conversations with the people you just met.

Quaint little water hole frequented by the local fisherman. Have some commercial fishing buddies at home, so was able to keep up with most of the conversations. Different gear is the big difference.

Ketchikan charges a $5 General Aviation landing fee. You have to leave your airplane while a truck fills the tanks. Often not getting topped off. This happened to me on a flight in 1993.

Decided to look around at other airports and found Petersburg. The first time I went there, met the operator who runs the TEMSCO Helicopter Operation. After talking about 5-minutes he took me around back and showed me how to get fuel if they were closed.

Leave a note with how much fuel you drained from their big tank, call when your phone has service and pay with a credit card. I call ahead to let them (family run operation kids help with fueling/payments) know that I’m heading their way if it will be after hours.

Today was going to be a 11am landing. No need to call.

After I arrive, took the above combo photo. I stayed high because I wanted this combo to show the incredible view. You are looking at part of the Inside Passage in the photo.

After landing and fueling, decided to take the short walk into town. Offer was made to get a ride, but, sitting for the last 4+hours and looking at another trip longer than the first, wanted to walk.

In the hotel parking lot is a small food bus that has some of the best Mexican delights I’ve ever ate. I try something different each time, and take some Tamales with me for snacks.

Temp was near 60°F and it felt good to be back to normal!

While walking back to the RV, made a call to a briefer in Juneau for weather updates. MVFR past Cape Yakataga. That doesn’t sound good for crossing Prince William Sound. Cordova, PACV, was reporting sky obscured at low level.

Tomorrow a storm would move into the whole Gulf Coast/Alaska Pan Handle and it would be IFR for a minimum of 4-days.

Yakutat didn’t have any fuel available. But it was still good VFR and would stay that way for several hours. I have plenty of fuel in my tanks, so thinking I might have to land and spend a few days at Yakutat, decided to get in the air.

With the decision made to continue, I filed a flight plan and took off.

PAPG-PAEN 27JUN2021
PAPG-PAEN 6-27-21.jpg

Islands and Mainland photos:
Dsc_0354.jpg

Dsc_0355.jpg

Dsc_0356.jpg

Dsc_0358.jpg

Mt Crillion and Fairweather in the background:
Dsc_0360.jpg

Looking East:
Dsc_0363.jpg

Getting Cloudy:
Dsc_0374.jpg

Mt Crillion/Fairweather:
Dsc_0375.jpg

Mike

PAPG-PAEN 27JUN2021 Cont.

Mainland:
Mainland 27Jun21.jpg

Gulf of Alaska:
Dsc_0381.jpg

Dsc_0403.jpg

Combo Mt Crillion:
Mt Crillion-Fairweather.jpg

Mt Crillion/Fairweather:
Dsc_0406.jpg

Looking East:
Dsc_0410.jpg

Gulf again:
Dsc_0424.jpg

Black Rocks:
Dsc_0430.jpg

Yakutat:
Dsc_0436.jpg

PAYA 27JUN21.jpg

Mike

PAPG to PAEN 27JUN2021 Cont.

PAYA-PAGK-PAEN 27JUN2021

Once I reached Yakutat, PAYA, time to make a choice. Found blue sky to the North. I really would like to get away from the Gulf Coast if possible, weather heading this way.

I look at the blue sky and realize that it could be good VFR near Gulkana, Alaska PAGK.

I make a call to Juneau radio and talk with a briefer. Weather report for Gulkana was two hours old. Then the briefer looked at the weather cams.

He saw blue sky and clear visibility. Perfect, what is the weather like from Gulkana to Anchorage?

Mountain Obscuration between Gulkana and Palmer. That means might have to go low and follow the highway through a pass.

If nothing else, I can land at PAGK and camp for the night and try tomorrow.

Re-vise the flight plan and continue North instead of following the coastline around to Prince William Sound.

Malaspina Glacier zoom:
Dsc_0438.jpg

YUK:
Dsc_0442.jpg

Blue Sky:
Dsc_0445.jpg

New Way Home:
Dsc_0447.jpg

All the above without zoom:
Dsc_0452.jpg

Over Yakutat Bay, looking East where it turns into Disenchantment Bay, Hubbard Glacier feeds the waters:
Dsc_0454.jpg

Double YUK:
Dsc_0457.jpg

Prince William Sound to the left. I’m not flying into that, carb ice (temp 49°F), low visibility, really cold water below, with several islands. Blue sky ahead:
PNWLLM-Blue Sky 27JUN21.jpg

PAGK area:
PAGK Sunny27JUN21.jpg

Malaspina Glacier:
Dsc_0463.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
PAPG - PAEN 27JUN2021 Cont.

Glacier View combo:
Coastline Glaciers 27JUN21.jpg

I like Turquoise:
Dsc_0529.jpg

STEEP:
Dsc_0532.jpg

Thompson Pass Ahead:
Dsc_0542.jpg

Interior Alaska:
Dsc_0546.jpg

Green Valley:
Dsc_0551.jpg

Almost to PAGK:
Dsc_0557.jpg

Green &Rocky Ice:
Dsc_0560.jpg

Nice View:
Dsc_0562.jpg

Whole new view to me:
Dsc_0567.jpg

Mike

PAEN to PAEN Last Post

PAPG-PAEN 27JUN2021 Last Post

About this time the C182 was leaving Juneau after a refuel. He heard me talking with Juneau radio near Gulkana. He asked Juneau to have me go to 123.45 to talk.

Found out he was heading to Soldotna, right next to Kenai. The next day Glenn was heading home to Skweetna near Denali. He had IFR and decided to fly Prince Willian Sound.

It added approx. 84 miles to the path home to fly the Gulkana leg. The aux tank once again offered options the mains could not.

I got to see new views, well worth visiting again for future photo sessions.

Looking towards Prince William Sound:
Dsc_0571.jpg

Sun Again:
Dsc_0577.jpg

Bright:
Dsc_0582.jpg

Marked Gap in Clouds:
Dsc_0586 Marked.JPG

I marked the gap in the clouds over Knik Glacier. This where I descended from 14,500ft to 4500ft to get under the clouds. There was some serious flying going on to do this without shock cooling the engine, or flying into a rock cloud.

I used to fly Huey helicopters in the Anchorage area. Knik Glacier was a weekly visit. Sheep on one side of the valley; near Lake George Goat can be found. Bears are almost always present. There was a TFR for the recovery of some of the crew that perished in a 1950’s Air Force Cargo Plane accident that was recently found.

Don’t want to get anywhere near that.

Mt Marcus Baker feeds the Knik Glacier. From past experience I knew that if you can see the top, the Knik Glacier is open.

Here is Mt Marcus Baker from the back side:
Dsc_0591.jpg

Getting ready to descend:
Dsc_0595.jpg

Looking towards Palmer, Alaska PAAQ:
Dsc_0597.jpg

Last of the trip photos, you can see the short green colored valley on the GPS that is the Knik Glacier, the valley leads towards PAAQ where my path was plotted, but I'm cutting the corner to avoid the clouds you can see.:
Dsc_0600.jpg

Total Trip Miles 9112 in 62-hours of flying. Started June 11,2021 completed June 27, 2021.

I did not get to the lower half of the USA, still plan to fly to the Grand Canyon sometime in the future.

Next day, went to breakfast at Carla's. Capt John, and Vlad know why.

She had a new wall decoration up. After flying 1558 Statute Miles in 9.9 hours in one day, yesterday, this completely explained how I felt this fine morning:
Z-Distracted.JPG

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
...snip...

Next day, went to breakfast at Carla's. Capt John, and Vlad know why.

She had a new wall decoration up. After flying 1558 Statute Miles in 9.9 hours in one day, yesterday, this completely explained how I felt this fine morning:
View attachment 19872

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Good ol' Carla's. I have a decoration in mind next time I am there :D

Carla's_-_1.jpeg

Mike_-_1.jpeg

Looked like a really amazing trip! I just did a trip to Kitty Hawk earlier this year, however we spent much more time in the Smoky Mountains. I'll have to push west one of these days!

Thank you for sharing.

Back