What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Polish Prior To Vinyl Wrap

JamesClarkIV

I've got 5 flights on my new RV7A and am bothered by the surface condition after 8 years of building (minor scratches and surface oxidation where I removed the blue covering for rivet lines but left the blue covering for extra years on the major areas between rivets.

I'm inclined to try slowly wrapping the plane in vinyl over time, but would like to do something now to immediately improve the surface condition for the next year or so.

Are there any problems with polishing for a year prior to wrapping? Would a freshly polished surface be a good starting point for a DIY vinyl wrap?

I hear votes for not polishing prior to painting, but what if I intend to wrap.

Thanks,
Jim Clark

Partial polish

Is it possible to only partially polish a plane to 80% solution (get rid of majority of surface crud, but stop short of mirror finish)?

Jim,
What you do now with your skins won't matter much when it comes time to wrap. If you hire a good reputable wrap company (like AircraftWraps.com) they're going to scrub that airplane clean at wrap time. They don't scuff the alclad, but they do get any/all surface treatments like wax etc. off the airplane. There's no need to paint or prime, and you really don't even need to fill pinholes.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=132000

So if you're going to fly her naked for a year, and you want a polished airplane, go ahead.

I'm inclined to try slowly wrapping the plane in vinyl over time, but would like to do something now to immediately improve the surface condition for the next year or so.

Are there any problems with polishing for a year prior to wrapping? Would a freshly polished surface be a good starting point for a DIY vinyl wrap?
Jim Clark

I agree that polishing prior will not cause problems. Many of us have done this also because half the plane is color, half polished.
But...IMHO...a good vinyl finish is much less work than a fair polish finish. Both have about the same learning curve, but vinyl will stay looking good longer and cause much less mess in your hangar.

Is it possible to only partially polish a plane to 80% solution (get rid of majority of surface crud, but stop short of mirror finish)?

The Purple Polish by California Custom will do a nice clean-up job on a dull or lousy looking aluminum surface - and without an egregious amount of labor.

Started Polishing

I started polishing my RV as a complete newbie using:

6" Griots Random Orbital with red foam pad covered by zwipes microfiber cloths. See here: First Attempts at Polishing

Bob mentioned that better microfiber towels from perfect polish are available.

I recently ordered some purple polish, and green deoxidizer. So we will see how that goes. So far, I have been using a liquid aluminum polish that I picked up from autozone. Will post a picture of it next time I'm at the hangar.

Wondering if anyone has experience using the random orbital with the purple polish, or if everyone is doing this by hand?

I applied the Purple Polish by hand, but in some areas followed up with Grade S Nuvite and the Cyclo polisher. It looked VERY good ... Not as deep a shine as the full Nuvite process, but good enough to impress all onlookers except hardcore polish mavens. :)

Help me understand, please

It is my understanding that, to get a polished shine, you have to remove the thin coating of alclad, which is the corrosion protection for the 2024 AL -- once the alclad is removed, a corrosion-protection material must be applied (paint, etc.), OR, constant polishing, waxing and corrosion prevention is required.

True, or not true?

Thanks (and after watching some of my neighbors' periodic polishing, I'll take paint anytime)

Regards,

Ron

The clad layer of commercially pure aluminum is what takes the good shine and also provides corrosion protection. You do not actually remove the clad when polishing.

Before and after, 2 minutes by hand:

I'm a brand newbie at this, but its fun. Not an example of the best job; just what you can do really quickly:

img_0624.jpg

img_0632.jpg

img_0633.jpg

See here: Equipment I used to start

Last edited:
OK, I rise to defend polish. Anyone want to do a test Oshkosh next year? We'll put a vinyl, a paint job, and a polished in a line and we'll see who GEts the chicks. :D

Gotta agree:

"...on laughter-painted wings..."

"...on laughter-wrapped wings..."

No, not feelin' it. Not even close. Silvered, for the win - and the chicks.:D

-Stormy

OK, I rise to defend polish. Anyone want to do a test Oshkosh next year? We'll put a vinyl, a paint job, and a polished in a line and we'll see who GEts the chicks. :D
The polished one will get the chicks. But they'll all leave when you start yelling at them for touching it and leaving fingerprints.

Also, it's not very manly to stagger over with your cane because you've been crippled by the years of bending over, laying on your back, and sweeping back and forth with a Cyclo... :p

Back