What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring for GPS 175 (and ARINC 429) with GRT Sport SX

jumbo_flyer

I am starting the adventure of adding a GPS 175 to my panel. I was hoping to gain some accelerated learning from anyone who may have a similar configuration: GRT Sport SX, Autopilot, GTX327, GPS 175. If you have a wiring diagram that I can start from or have any tips, send PM me.

Thank you,
Fred McMahon
RV-8

I have the exact same setup. I found this info very helpful:

http://grtavionics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3215

Let me know if you have any specific issues or questions - I am at work now and not able to access much more of my info. Installation was fairly straightforward but you do need a crimping tool or insert capable of crimping the Garmin high-density D-sib pins for use in the 175 harness.

Chris

Last edited:
The info provided works well.

Be aware that there is a bug in the GPS175 software that supposedly will be corrected with Version 2.0 due out sometime this Fall. If you display the waypoint databox (Wpt name, distance, course, time) on your GRT sometimes the wpt name will be correct and other times it will display ALT. It may switch during flight and if you look at the DEMO Log you can see the name switch. This is an error in the serial data being sent from the GPS175 to GRT. If you are aware of this error it really isn't a problem, but if you're in the clouds and proceeding to a waypoint, it can be disconcerting to see ALT instead of the waypoint you are expecting!

Both Garmin (G3 Expert Jason) and Jeff at GRT are aware of the problem.

Jim Butcher

Chris, thanks that will definitely help. If you don't mind, I will send question directly to you when I start. I am still waiting on ARINC 429 for GRT.

Jim, thanks for info. Hopefully, it will be updated by the time I am done.

Fred
I recently did an installation very similar to yours, except there were two SX involved. See the attached wiring diagram. Maybe it will help.
I'm also in SAT (5C1) so let me know if you need any help.

Attachments

• GPS 175 added to N9LR.pdf
    157.1 KB · Views: 169
Back