What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hand Dimpling Pliers....Needed?

I believe those are generally used to dimple the narrow ends of ribs, but you end up bending and scratching metal in the process. I think this is better, in conjuction with a male dimple die at the end of the C-frame rod:

https://www.cleavelandtool.com/products/tight-fit-dimpling-fixture-3_32?_pos=7&_sid=fdf14c96f&_ss=r

or an equivalent made by countersinking a thickness of steel.

Hand dimpling pliers are used only where there is limited access and a regular yoke will not fit such as the trailing edge of aileron or flap ribs.
This cleaveland tool was not around when I was building and it may indeed be a better option.
The original pliers or vise grip dimplers are available at Aircraft Spruce or Aircraft Tool Supply

I have a pair of vice grips that had holes drilled in them to accept dimple dies.
I've found them to be very useful on a couple of occasions.

You can get by with out them. But, if you're a tool hound like I am, they're a nice, relatively inexpensive fix.

I have a pair of dimple pliers and I have used them several times in tight spaces. They dont create as nice of a dimple, but when nothing else will fit the tight spot, its better than nothing.

I have used them multiple times where no other tool I had would fit. I would highly recommend getting one.

or

Find an EAA chapter near you that has a loaner.

Or, If You Can Weld ...

Just make your own -

HFS

Attachments

• EZ-DIMPLE.jpg
    EZ-DIMPLE.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 184
I have the aforementioned hand dimpling pliers. I have used it occasionally, it works, is nice to have, but I would not consider it necessary.

A tool that might fit the same need is the 3/32 CLOSE QUARTERS DIMPLE DIE SET. I would consider this tool a must have in the tool box. These are especially useful, say, when you are halfway through riveting your horizontal stabilizer and realize you missed dimpling a hole in the skin.

Not that I would know anything about that personally...

Back