What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

uAvionix echoUAT ADS-B Out Transceiver

Tcheairs

Well Known Member
I need to upgrade to ADSB and I am considering the uAvionix echoUAT In/out Transceiver. My RV 7a has a Garmin GNS 430w and a GTX 327. Is it possible that this little device will interface with my setup? Has anyone had experience with interfacing it with the 430w or is that even necessary to be ADSB compliant? Looks like the cat's meow if it works..Or would the Tail Beacon be an easier installation? I would like to be able to see traffic on my IPAD..

Last edited:
I use an EchoUAT in my -9A, which like your -7A, uses a a 430W and a GTX327. Bottom line, works well.

I didn’t install it, bought the plane with it. It had been installed about a month before I bought it. I had some initial problems with a wiring missstep (poorly seated pin in a D connector) but with a little time under the panel we got that sorted out. Once working well, and getting good PAPRs, I did notice that I was getting some ghosting, where all of a sudden a target would show up on the screen right on top of me, and it was actually me (reflection). No danger, but disconcerting. The install was originally done with the transmitter under the panel and the antenna in the wing. Some discussion with UAvionix suggested that that was the problem and so we relocated it in the wing close to the antenna and that problem is resolved.

The ADSB-IN data is sent to my moving map display, an AFS 3500s. It’s also available over ethernet to my 5400 if I choose. Also goes out over Bluetooth, so targets shows up in Foreflight.

Anyway, the EchoUAT works fine once we cleared up the install problems. It was installed by an avionics tech, but he appears to have made a couple of unfortunate choices.

Last edited:
No Bluetooth

ADSB data is sent out via WiFi on EchoUAT. Phone apps for configure and monitoring same WiFi

The echoUAT is supplied power, ground and GPS data via the Molex connector. The unit is configured via Wi-Fi with a mobile device and outputs ADS-B 'IN” data via the Wi- Fi to a mobile device hosting an EFB application.

Last edited:
I have done several of that specific installs and they work well, since the 430W supplies the WAAS GPS data input for the ADS-B.
The 430W may need to have the software upgraded to get the "ADS-B+" port configuration.
No connection is required for the 327.
I have a wiring diagram and set up instructions if you would like a copy.
Just send me an email if you do.

ADSB data is sent out via WiFi on EchoUAT. Phone apps for configure and monitoring same WiFi

The echoUAT is supplied power, ground and GPS data via the Molex connector. The unit is configured via Wi-Fi with a mobile device and outputs ADS-B 'IN” data via the Wi- Fi to a mobile device hosting an EFB application.
Yeah, WiFi, not bluetooth...sorry. SSID is PING something-or-other, IIRC.

Back