What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trouble attaching F-14131 to F-01407 to complete empennage

rnwrod

I'm New Here
I am having trouble attaching the F-14131 to the F-01407 with AN470AD4-4's. I can not get the squeezer or gun in straight enough and am bending the shop heads over. It is so bad I had to remove and make a doubler and try again. It is still bad. How did you guys get this riveted up?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 240
I am having trouble attaching the F-14131 to the F-01407 with AN470AD4-4's. I can not get the squeezer or gun in straight enough and am bending the shop heads over. It is so bad I had to remove and make a doubler and try again. It is still bad. How did you guys get this riveted up?

I think I used the offset with my rivet gun in this location, do you have an offset for the AN470AD4 rivet size? Offsets can be tricky to use, I find it helps to wrap some duct tape around the base of the offset and onto the rivet gun to keep the offset from rotating which is what it tends to do otherwise.

I'm pretty sure I used the offset in the rivet gun in this area too. Its a bit difficult to do lying on your back inside the tailcone but can be done. The rivets aren't the prettiest but they are set properly.

I used an offset gun on this too, and like you had to redo it a few times. If I was doing it again I'd pull a cherry rivet for the time and hassle savings.

Just did this yesterday. I was able to squeeze the first bottom two from the aft side and I used a Cherry max 4-3 for the top one. I could have used a rivet set but knew I would mess it up as it would have taken two people and there isn't roam for one.

Yes, these are tough rivets for sure. I squeezed the bottom two but used an offset for the top one. Not easy. Congrats to you for going the extra mile and not just assuming "it'll be OK and nobody will see it". Those are the types of places I always look at when checking out somebody's project.

Regarding the offset. I too use something to hold the rivet set from rotating in the gun. As czech6 said, duct tape works well is cheap and fast. I have found the key to using the offset is to keep significant pressure (hand pressure not air pressure) on the gun and make sure it's at a right angle. Seems like common sense, but when I finally figured out that to use an abundance of pressure on the gun, I no longer have any issues or fear the offset. In fact, I use it frequently.

Thanks to all of the feedback

Thanks to all, I will try the offset head which I have but have never used. If that fails I am not too proud and will just do a pull rivet.
Is anyone building an RV-14 near Lexington, KY? I am reaching the point that someone that has gone before would be a great resource.

Thanks to all, I will try the offset head which I have but have never used. If that fails I am not too proud and will just do a pull rivet.
Is anyone building an RV-14 near Lexington, KY? I am reaching the point that someone that has gone before would be a great resource.

Why not just defer until you can get another set of hands / eyes (experienced ones) to join you? Might save you more pain and aggravation....

Try the off set on a piece of scrap. It certainly doesn't act like a straight set. A lot of the force is lost in the bend so you have to hit longer (more likely to do a smily).

Gun Pressure for offset

Thanks Guys, I will try the offset on some scrap first. What pressure do you like to set for the air on a 3x gun for an offset?

If this does not go well on scrap I will wait until I find a "helper" that has been down this road. I ma in no hurry.

Again thanks all for the replies and have a happy blessed Thanksgiving!

I use about 55 psi for AD4704-4's with the offset. Remember, plenty of force on the gun but let the bucking bar do the work.

Good luck.

Back