What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

canopy handle rivets

coffeeguy

Well Known Member
Wondering if anyone has installed blind rivets for the C-01437 canopy handles. These are real bears, the two lower ones are difficult to get a bucking bar on because of the side frame is too close. The top one looks like a candidate for back riveting. Not sure if I can back rivet the other two either. At this point I'm pretty much at the point of just installing blind rivets and calling it done and move on.

Looks like a lot of views but no replies on this one....so I'll let you know what I did.

Yes, the rivets on the back side are a little tough, but my guess is that you've already riveted many, many that are harder.

I did not back rivet. When driving from the front, I used a straight set https://www.yardstore.com/riveting/rivet-sets/3-5-rivet-sets/rivet-set-7-32-straight-3-1-2. I also used this on the rudder stops. This type of set can be scary, but it's hard to make a mistake as the canopy handle is thick enough not to dent. It's probably possible to put some hammer tracks in it if you're not square, but it's a pretty easy task.

On the back side, I used a 1/2" x 1/2" steel rod. It doesn't take much to form the shop head as the straight set puts a significant amount of force on a very small area. It was pretty much a non-event.

Note: I did have help. I had a buddy drive and I bucked...or the other way around, don't remember exactly.

Good luck!

Thanks. Yeah, at this point there have been some hard rivets. These ones are tough because the two bottom ones leave so little clearance to the side rail. If you buck them flat to the side rail they are way underset. Maybe using a -6 there, but then you're at risk of clinching. Guess I'll get my daughter to help buck them, it helps when you can see what you're doing.

Still, hands down, the absolute worst item on the build so far has to be putting in the bolts to the adel clamps under the seats, the ones that hold the rudder cable guides. Took about 3 or 4 hours to get one of those bolts in. Other side took an hour, think I got lucky on that one.

Jeff

OK, so that was a non-event in the end. What wound up making the difference is that I found a piece of wood the same height as the side rail and then put my bucking bar on top of it so that it could engage the rivet without hitting the side rail. Sometimes all you need is a day or two and a fresh outlook to solve the problem. Hoping to get started on the fiberglass work this weekend.

Back