What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Replacement

Fred.Stucklen

Well Known Member
Friend
I'm coming up on the 2000 Hr time on my IO-360-A1A first run engine and an looking for engine shops in Florida that I could use to find a replacement engine with a trade-in. For that matter, even outside of Florida. While I don't need a replacement right now, thought that it might be prudent to start looking now.

My current first run engine is currently running fine. I'll do the standard bore-scope checks next month at the conditional inspection. What I'm trying to do is get contact information on NEW engines as a replacement with trade-in, OR new Lycoming nitrated barrel cylinders to do a top end on this engine.

Anyone have any recommendations?

I'm coming up on the 2000 Hr time on my IO-360-A1A first run engine and an looking for engine shops in Florida that I could use to find a replacement engine with a trade-in. For that matter, even outside of Florida. While I don't need a replacement right now, thought that it might be prudent to start looking now.

My current first run engine is currently running fine. I'll do the standard bore-scope checks next month at the conditional inspection. What I'm trying to do is get contact information on NEW engines as a replacement with trade-in, OR new Lycoming nitrated barrel cylinders to do a top end on this engine.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Look no further!

https://jbaircraftengines.com/

Jimmy will take good care of you.

Yes, I recommend that you just FLY the engine. Properly cared for Lycomings are known to run WAAAAAAAY beyond TBO. I wouldn't be at all concerned until your engine starts giving you warnings.

I've known these engines to go well in excess of 3,000 hrs. with no problems.

Last edited:
Seems I remember Vlad has passed 3000 hours...

Old memory - he is over 5000 now!! I think he is still looking for the longest field test and a new prize engine from Lycoming - - or a special discount from Vans for a second engine.

Maybe Vans will create the engine discount replacement program just for Vlad.

Both..

What Mel said, and WHEN it’s time for an engine, Jimmy at JBAircraft in Sebring is absolutely top notch.

Engine Time

fred, Is that hobbs time?

That's the time on the EIS-4000 engine monitor, which I believe is tach. time.

I've done a borescope on every cylinder. All look exceptionally good. I'm not using any oil between 25 Hr oil changes, and the compressions on all cylinders is 78/80. I'm just going to keep running it!

We used to tell people that hot section inspections were a case of "pay me now or pay me more later" but in this case, with the numbers you're seeing, I wouldn't have any reservations at all about going the "pay me later" route.

I think I would keep flying it too, but in the interest of future planning, you could fly on down to Sebring (KSEF) and talk to Jimmy personally to get his expert opinion on timing. Jimmy is building an engine for me for my RV6 under construction. This will be my third JB engine. They are good, and their support after the sale sets the standard for engine builders everywhere. He’s quite busy, so planning ahead is a good idea.

Back