What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interior paint

I’ve asked this before, took notes, filed notes under ???? So I’ll ask again.
I’m ready to start painting my interior of the fuselage. I will paint the side skins separate and then install them. My question is - what paint, what primer, what prep work should I do? At some point I will install the carpet / side wall cover but not for a while. No more product that I should need, I may consider spray can. That is if I can find it in a quality product. I’ve already primed the longerons. Thanks in advance for your input.

I used PPG DP-40LF primer for all the projects. For the interior as well as engine stuff (baffles, brackets, etc.) I use PPG single stage urethane paint and recommend it (perfect finish for amateur painters like me and it wears like iron).

I use a medium gray for most of the interior, and a darker gray for the panel, controls, baffles and such.

Prep:
- The interior is not a great place for the standard Alumiprep process. Here I use maroon Scotchbrite pads with Coleman fuel (leaves no residue). Wipe down with paper towels and more Coleman when done. For the powder coated stuff I use 200 grit sandpaper before prime and top coat.

Carl

Having done 4 interiors and another one about to start, they are not pleasant.

We use a neutral grey for sides etc and a darker one for the panel as well. You can get the RV14 mix ratio from Valspar or from Vans.

Having experimented, I now use base and lacquer for the simple reason it is easier and more consistent to apply. The base colour is a 1k product which covers really easily. You can then choose the final finish for the lacquer as it is available in gloss, semi matt and matt. Heavy wear areas can be coated several times and because there are no pigments in the lacquer, it is easier to apply when upside down with your head stuck under some structure !

I used southern polyurethanes epoxy primer on my plane. Excellent primer and affordable. On the interior, I just sprayed 2 coat of this primer in grey (it is a light to medium shade of grey). It is tough as nails and has a semi-gloss finish. Not as pretty as a SS paint, but easier, cheaper, and looks nice to me, as I didn't prefer high gloss in the interior.

Larry

• Maroon Scotchbrite scuff
  • Wipe down with denatured alcohol (Coleman fuel)
  • Wipe with tack cloth
  • Prime within 2 hours of scuff and wipe down (yes had to do it in sections)
  • Primed with EcoPoxy,
  • Painted with Jetflex with flattening paste added (reduced 20% and used 15 psi at nozzle - HVLP). Color #09014 (Dark Gray). Wanted medium gray, looks like light to medium gray (think battleship).
  • Smooth eggshell gloss finish

Wow...that Jetflex has a tough finish!

I used Jetflex WR - water reducible. Easy to apply, non-toxic (because it is water soluble), and has held up very well at 200 hours on the plane. Worked well for this first-time painter. :)

Wow...that Jetflex has a tough finish!

It does seem to be really tough in light of how easy it is to work with. I painted my fuselage side skin before I realized I had made a mistake that meant replacing the skin. While shuffling things around the shop the old skin ended up laying in the driveway, so I left it there. It's been out there for about a week now getting stepped on, rolled over, exposed to the elements, etc. I haven't picked it up to do a super close inspection but the piece is still completely covered in paint and appears to be in good shape. Yesterday I thought I finally saw some aluminum showing through, but when I ran my shoe across it it was just a chip from some other piece I had been working on. Aside from some lingering concerns about chemical resistance, I'm confident that it's going to hold up well in the interior.

Back