What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ELEVATOR TRAILING EDGE

Gcoco

I'm New Here
When both of my elevators are put into the trail position and the counterbalance arms are perfectly lined up with the horizontal stab, on both sides, my right elevator's trailing edge sits about 3/8" higher than the left.
Is this normal? I know it states in the manual that most likely, both elevator horns will not line up perfectly and one will be further aft than the other, so I'm assuming there is a tolerance that is allowable, but 3/8" seems a bit much to me. Not sure how this is even possible.

It's very common. I've seen quite a bit of misalignment of trailing edges without causing any roll tendency. It's your call whether you prefer the counterbalance horns or the trailing edges to be aligned. Personally I prefer the horns to line up as that will be more noticeable on the ground, especially with gust locks in place.

Howdy Glenn. When I did my rigging of the elevators, I tried to ensure the trailing edges were in line with each other. The elevator horns may or may not line up with each other, but that is fine. The alignment of the control surfaces is what is important. If there is a variation in construction from one elevator to another and the trailing edges do not align perfectly, the best you can do is compromise between the trailing edge being off some and the counter weight being off some.

Here is a link to one of my rigging videos, (I believe there are 4 total.) There is a lot going on back there when setting up and rigging. You may know all this already, but perhaps the videos will shed some light for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNBkj-8U49I

Thanks MEL. I prefer the counterbalance horns to be aligned as well. Glad to hear from a DAR that this is perfectly normal!! Thank you for the quick reply!!

Back