What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Identify this bolt size Sup cold air sump

JoopSJ

Well Known Member
I have a Superior cold air sump. Underneat thera are two locations where you can bolt a bracket or so.
Anyone could tell me which size bolt go in here?
I tried AN3 but I don't go past the first thread and don't want to force it.

Attachments

• 16248057779388016936983620721984.jpg
    16248057779388016936983620721984.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 250
I would not expect an AN bolt to fit into a threaded casting of a Lycoming Case.

All AN bolts have fine threads. The O-360 Parts Manual show typically (may be exclusively) that Lycomoing used coarse threads.

Last edited:
As said before, AN bolts are fine threads. Fine threads are seldom used in castings. If it is 3/16" it would probably be a 10-24. If it is 1/4" (most likely) it will probably be a 1/4-20. If it's 5/16", probably 5/16-18.

Last edited:
Joop

For an easy example, this is the same thread as the Hex head bolts holding your valve covers on.

Cheers

OP is in Europe; my experience in finding UNC fasteners in UK and Germany was frustrating.

I picked-up this picture from Goatflieg's build log.
It shows bolts. I will send him a PM to ask.

Attachments

• goaltflig-bolts.JPG
    goaltflig-bolts.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 286
Those look like NPT plugs. NPT threads are tapered and are meant to seal liquids or gases. Don't think I would be trying to thread straight thread hardware into those holes.

I don't think the Titan manual will work, as the OP says and photo shows a Superior cold air sump. The boss on the Superior sump is not NPT.

I'm not able to track down documentation from home, but the photo shows my use of the boss for a throttle bracket. The bolts are coarse thread English-units engine bolts, but I don't remember the size.

Attachments

• Superior Boss Bracket.jpg
    Superior Boss Bracket.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 218
I think this is what you're looking for

I have a Superior cold air sump. Underneat thera are two locations where you can bolt a bracket or so.

When I installed the throttle and mixture brackets on my Superior sump I initially used MS35206-279 phillips head screws. Like others have mentioned, these are the same size screws that are used on the valve covers. Upon further review I decided to get fasteners that I could safety wire and prevent the screws from backing out. I used MS35265-80 Fillister head screws that have a drilled head for safety wire. Whichever one you use, these are 1/4-20 threads.

Attachments

• Engine-115.jpg
    Engine-115.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_4374.jpg
    IMG_4374.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_4375.jpg
    IMG_4375.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 274
Some consolation

Joop,
I have the same issues here with ALL metric bolts.
Daddyman

Originally I didn’t notice it was the Superior sump.
Since the OP is from out of country, I called Superior Product Support and they said those are 1/4 x 20 bolts. ( As pazmanflyer said before I could post this.) For attaching brackets on the two bosses.

Thanks all,
I just started with the baffles and noticed a lot of these screws.
I also ordered the Showplanes cold sump bracket.

Back