What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Superior Air Parts Lifter failure

togaflyer

Well Known Member
My engine, an IO 540 for an RV 10 was built in the beginning of 2016. The engine was stored inside a climate controlled environment until I hung it at the end of 2017. Airplane got its airworthy certificate February of 2018. During my recent oil change I found metal in the filter. No oil analysis had been done, I was going to send the first one in this oil change. After talking with the shop that built the engine (a trustworthy engine shop) I was told to pull the engine and bring it in for inspection because they believed the lifters were failing. Today it was confirmed. The lifters had severe Spalling. All lifters looked the same with the same severe Spalling. This also trashed the cam. The shop told me they have seen lifters sold by Superior from late 2015 into early 2016, having a high failure rate usually around the 250-500 hour mark. Mine failed between 260 and 300 hours. The shop said they believe Superior had some form of manufacturing issues for a short period of time during this period. I plan to call Superior to see if they are aware of this and if they will provide me with any support. I’m not expecting to much since they are out of warranty. I’m not bad mouthing Superior, but If your engine has Superior lifters installed during this time period you need to be aware of this potential problem. I should have started sending the oil sample in right after the break in period. Engine has operated for three years, with 300 hours, Cam Guard always used (excluding break in period) with Phillips oil. What I had found was small granules picked up with a magnet ran though the filter element. Nothing was is the oil screen. Probably to small to catch in the screen.

Last edited:
Not to diminish the message you are trying to pass, which I agree is important, but you'll sound more knowledgeable with the correct usage. Apologies if you think I'm just trying to be a wise-acre.

spall
/spôl/
verb
gerund or present participle: spalling

break (ore, rock, stone, or concrete) into smaller pieces, especially in preparation for sorting.
"the ore was spalled by young women seated at anvils"
(of ore, rock, or stone) break off in fragments.
"cracks below the surface cause slabs of material to spall off"

Spaulding = manufacturer of sports equipment

LIfters, autocorrect

Sorry to hear about the lifter / cam issue. Can't imagine how you stored or used the engine would have contributed to this. Hopefully Superior will help you with this. I am flying behind an engine that sat for a while, and know that I could be affected by spalling. I bought the used engine at basically core price, so it won't be the end of the world if/when I have an issue. I just fly and monitor, and am grateful for every hour the engine gives me.

As to the comment regarding your word choice, I believe that everyone knows what you meant to say. Autocorrect issue maybe? My computer does that to me all of the time.

To the poster who did the word correction: the sporting goods manufacturer is Spalding, not Spaulding. People in glass houses?

Unless the engine was pickled this is on you. I recently disassembled and changed the crank on a Superior engine that was stored in a climate-controlled shop and found a small amount of rust in the cylinders. Engine only had 15 minutes of run-in time on it.

Patrick your right didn’t catch that one. Thanks for getting it right for me. Corrected it on the original post. Yes it was properly stored. All 12 lifters had the same ware. I will post pictures if I can figure out how to do it, again.

Last edited:
Kevin was also correct but since I live in an aluminum house ;), the disambiguation only left a dent...

UPDATE********

I spoke to Bill Ross at Superior and explained my situation. He reached out to my engine shop and afterwards, Mr. Ross told me that he decided they would provide new lifters at no cost. It would be a warranty replacement and for good customer service. I definitely appreciate what he is doing since I know they were not under any obligation to do this.

Jimmy at JB Engines in Sebring, once again, has been an outstanding individual to work with. He has gone out of his way to remedy my issue and minimize the financial cost. It was also nice that I could road trip the engine to him, which simplified shipping.

Like any machine in life, we hope for the best, but sometimes it rains metal (little engine humor). But when you have an issue and companies like JB Engines and Superior provide great customer service, it nice to know these companies are there and will work with you.

Thank you Jimmy and Bill.

Back