What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stuck on step 1 of tail kit

NorrisAir

Just finished inventorying my newly arrived 14a tail kit and everything was there. So this morning decided it was time to start building. Opened the plans to step 1 (page 06-02 Rev1 11/4/13) where it explained a number of steps to rivet part VS-01401 to VS-702. The problem is that I didn't have part VS-01401 and further couldn't find it listed anywhere on shipping inventory sheets. I'm sure I must be overlooking something. Any help would be appreciated (I'll call Van's Monday morning if it isn't sorted out by then).

Welcome to VAF!

Norris,
welcome.gif
to VAF.

Sometimes you will need to create parts from angle stock, or flat stock or tubing etc. After you do the cutting to size and shape, the part is then what the call out number refers to.

I suspect this may be what you are bumping into???

Last edited:
Just some advice on organization?.

I took a shoe box and every brown bag went in it. The rivets went into a screw organizer one bin per size. Some brown bags have 5-10 different parts in them. For those bags I broke the pieces into sandwich baggies and labeled them and put them back in their brown bag. And I keep the list of the bagged hardware in the shoebox on top.

Need a bolt or a bracket? Scan the paper list to find the bag. Grab that bag and then find the baggie within. I think I saved the organization time the first time I went for a bolt/washer/nut combo; I would have had to sort all the parts in a bag again to decide what was what.

...The problem is that I didn't have part VS-01401 and further couldn't find it listed anywhere on shipping inventory sheets.....

This has been one of my big time sinks as well... I make a note of the hard to find parts on my blog.

PM me and I can send you a copy of Stoney's spreadsheet with all the little parts in the bags listed out... Now when you start looking for that stupid nut plate for the rudder, you'll be able to find it :)

Pat

Back